Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Arm Sleeves
« Last post by hef333 on Today at 02:46:34 PM »
1982 :  1-5-1d.... Pants required.

As an Umpire...I would like to personally thank whoever came up with this one....otherwise I'd spend my late Friday nights rinsing my eyes with Clorox!   :!#
Very good @dammitbobby. Maybe one day we will agree on a topic.
If you can't handle the simple stuff, how can you be expected to handle the big stuff.

Because I can discern what is important and relevant, and what is not.  But you do you, and I'll keep on keeping on as well.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Arm Sleeves
« Last post by Ralph Damren on Today at 12:12:18 PM »
After further review by the replay official ( searching by an ole' duffer whose baseball game was rained out) , I've discovered that in 1957 (Ike was in the White House & and the Red Sox were in last place) this was listed as a rule change :

1-5-3-f : White transverse strips on jersey sleeve below the elbow is prohibited.

another noteble rule change.....

9-2-2-h : Grasping the face mask is prohibited.  ^flag

as time progressed......

1960 : 1-5-1 ... Requires a player to wear a face protector while playing.

1963 :  1-5-1-(e)... All players are required to wear shoes.

1982 :  1-5-1d.... Pants required.

tR:oLl
Correct. Coaches do sign equipment card. It's their problem when Zebras enforce the rules that come with the agreed contract. Do your part to force them to do their part. If you can't handle the simple stuff, how can you be expected to handle the big stuff.
Do not confuse my ability or courage to make a correct call during a game with enforcing uniform stylistic choices. 

Coaches sign a card that their teams have been instructed to wear and how to wear mandatory equipment. It's their problem. 

I know coaches do have a great say in what officials to use. We as Zebras have a great say in how we officiate and enforce rules. You have to decide what side of the fence you want to be on. You can't be scared to make the correct call no matter the consequences because it effects all your fellow Zebras.
While I can appreciate you trying to not be insulting @ElivisLives, from what you are saying plays right into the coaches hands. You will officiate for them the way they want. I know this is a cut throat profession and we all want playoff games, but to what to end. If each crew in each chapter enforced the rules as instructed, then it would become the norm and coaches would fix the problem on their own because the rule will be enforced. Coaches are just like players, they will try to get away with as much as you let them. Just Zebra up and enforce the rule. It will help all your fellow Zebras down the line.
I do officiate in Texas

That's fantasy.  You are normalizing coaches having a say in choosing officials, which is the root of the problem. Literally no other level, or location, of competitive sports allows coaches the right to unilaterally pick who they want to officiate their games - for very good reason. As long as coaches are allowed to introduce corruptibility into the process, this will not change.
While I can appreciate you trying to not be insulting @ElivisLives, from what you are saying plays right into the coaches hands. You will officiate for them the way they want. I know this is a cut throat profession and we all want playoff games, but to what to end. If each crew in each chapter enforced the rules as instructed, then it would become the norm and coaches would fix the problem on their own because the rule will be enforced. Coaches are just like players, they will try to get away with as much as you let them. Just Zebra up and enforce the rule. It will help all your fellow Zebras down the line.
I do officiate in Texas
Texas Topics / Re: PROP Approved Rules changes - now we wait for the UIL
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 09:07:43 PM »
If they did pass it, why wouldn't you try to enforce it?

Not trying to be insulting, but, with that comment, you would not seem to be an official working UIL (Texas) HS football. Coaches from both teams in every contest have the ‘right’ to accept or reject officials for their games. So, official R1 enforces the rule, and keeps a star player out of a game for some amount of time while he gets pants that get his knees covered. Even if they win the game, Coach X doesn’t like being handicapped for even one down, and vows to scratch that official/crew from ever working his games. Word gets around to other coaches that official R1 enforces the rule, but official R2 doesn’t, so they should choose R2. R1 finds out that he isn’t getting assignments to those top programs (who have strong attendance at their games, thus greater officiating fees), and R1 decides not to enforce that rule, any more.
And so it goes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10