Author Topic: Smoke  (Read 1873 times)

Offline the clown

• FAN REACTION: +7/-19
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Smoke
« on: November 11, 2018, 09:50:30 PM »
Second year in a row Northern CA is on fire.  Last year it was in October and we had to cancel a weeks worth of games because of smoke. This year it's the second round of the playoffs and all but three games in my section were canceled last Friday.  Everything got moved to Monday (mostly night) and that is their only shot because they are only allowed to play two games in 8 days.  Next round will have to be played on Saturday.  Question I have is on the legality of playable air quality.  Is this an administrative ruling or a game time decision by the crew.  I have nothing to measure air quality nor do I want any part in playing scientist.  I also want to cover my and my crews butts.  I do know that I will call the game in a second if I am told it is safe to play and the wind blows in some bad air after the game starts.. rule 3 -1-5.  Has anyone else dealt with this or a similar situation?  One thing good did come out of this tragedy.  Paradise High School, a powerhouse of a program, had a home game that obviously couldn't be played and instead of having to move the venue to the visiting teams field, the visiting team, Red Bluff, agreed to forfeit the game so Paradise could advance.  Paradise declined the offer and let Red Bluff advance.  Tell that to the captains the next time they refuse to shake hands. https://www.chicoer.com/2018/11/09/paradise-high-concedes-section-playoff-game-to-red-bluff/ 

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Smoke
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »
School administration or local government decision.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
  Question I have is on the legality of playable air quality. 
  Legality?  If California has a law about legal air quality that certainly would not be up to the officials in stripes to enforce, and if there isn't a law it isn't up to the officials to make a ruling either.

School or game administration decision only.

Offline brettjr2005

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • CIF
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
I know this is late, but this is my section as well.  Unfortunate that we won't finish the playoffs before regionals start.  Anyways, to answer about the air quality, CIF has a rule that the air quality must be 150 or lower.  Anything 151 or above and the game cannot be played.  I assume that a site administrator would be in charge of monitoring the AQI readings from the EPA's website and if the numbers went above 150 then you'd have to suspend play immediately. 

Fortunately the AQI is fine now and everyone is playing today, but I just saw that nobody had answered so wanted to add that information.