Author Topic: IR Officials and Crew  (Read 11868 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
IR Officials and Crew
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
I have a bit of a beef with TASO concerning IR for the state championship games.  From what is being announced, they are utilizing Big XII, ACC and other officials.  Who are the technicians and the communicators?  Did TASO send out any feelers to see if there are TASO members that are currently doing these jobs that could be used instead of non-TASO members?  Absolutely they should.  Why would TASO use non-TASO members when we do have TASO members that have the experience to work these positions?

Offline TXNCAARef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Don't go hunting alligators!
Re: IR Officials and Crew
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
The RO are TASO officials in the Ft. worth chapter.  All all CFO trained replay officials.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:58:41 AM »
The RO are TASO officials in the Ft. worth chapter.  All all CFO trained replay officials.

That begs the next question, why only use those from the FW chapter?

I'm not trying to be difficult, although I'm usually good at that.  I just want the TASO powers that be to remember there are other chapters in the state and many members qualifies to do the RO, Tech and Comms jobs, because they do this on Saturdays.   We need to utilize them for these games, not just a small set of people.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:02:03 AM by TexDoc »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »

I'm not trying to be difficult, although I'm usually good at that.  I just want the TASO powers that be to remember there are other chapters in the state and many members qualifies to do the RO, Tech and Comms jobs, because they do this on Saturdays.   We need to utilize them for these games, not just a small set of people.

I am guessing they went with those who were already known to have experience and used them out of convenience.  Perhaps in future seasons they will share the work.  Now with the chain crews they utilize different chapters for each day.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »
I am guessing they went with those who were already known to have experience and used them out of convenience.  Perhaps in future seasons they will share the work.  Now with the chain crews they utilize different chapters for each day.

Maybe TASO should have sent out a message to all members asking for their experience in the IR booth?  That sure would have been nice. 

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »
Are they the same for today as yesterday?  I thought they were using a different one per game....

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 11:21:19 AM »
Are they the same for today as yesterday?  I thought they were using a different one per game....

I have no idea, but I do know TASO did not reach out to its membership, as they absolutely should have, to find out who has experience. 

Offline backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
For the record, the UIL, and not TASO contracted with the Replay Officials.  TASO had no say in selecting them.  The sideline assistants are experienced communicators.  Everything in the Replay Booth was done by the UIL.

Offline TXNCAARef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Don't go hunting alligators!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »

Same three guys each of the four nights.  They rotate games throughout the night.

Offline psv

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »
Same three guys each of the four nights.  They rotate games throughout the night.

Thanks.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »
Thanks.
Two are CFO-West RO and one is AAC RO. They rotate between RO, Asst RO and Communicator. There  were no straight “communicators.”  All we’re experienced ROs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »
Great, now time for TASO to step up for its membership and remind UIL that we have experienced members that need to be working these games.  I can't see anyone in TASO leadership disagreeing with this. 

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »
Great, now time for TASO to step up for its membership and remind UIL that we have experienced members that need to be working these games.  I can't see anyone in TASO leadership disagreeing with this.
I think they wanted experienced replay officials and a known commodity.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 06:29:31 AM »
I think they wanted experienced replay officials and a known commodity.

That’s exactly my point!  We HAVE experienced RO’s, Techs and Comms within TASO that are already members, and not one word from TASO inquiring about who has that experience.  Now we are told UIL handled this.  Why?  Do we not provide officials?  TASO is there for one major reason, to advocate for its membership.  That’s mission number 1.  Come on guys, let’s get that done. 

Offline zebraboy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
The gentlemen are active members of FWFO Chapter and are always involved with rookie training, rules interpretations/changes, ect. and are very deserving of inaugural IR.

Offline psv

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »
I have to say, the IR this week has been good in my opinion, and the ability for Fox to Sync up the looks from multiple angles...  I think it has been a good job (although they are taking a little too long on this one... Runner stepping out 7:07, HP V SC).

I have been pleased with the implementation.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »

TASO doesnt realizes there are other chapters besides FW and HOU? I've not seen much evidence of that in the last number of years

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »
Before this gets all spun out of control ....IR is totally UIL production.    They have their own guy who is a college replay official who coordinated this and is using mainly Big XII guys to help.  Just as TASO has no say in who works as the on field officiating crew, TASO has no say on the IR component

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 02:59:28 PM »
I thought the UIL was staying out of the officiating business? I would take that to include replay.  They could have turned this over to TASO.   :sTiR:

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 03:05:16 PM »
Why should TASO assign the replay officials? Shouldn’t coaches get a say in that too?  :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 03:53:37 PM »
I have to say, the IR this week has been good in my opinion, and the ability for Fox to Sync up the looks from multiple angles...  I think it has been a good job (although they are taking a little too long on this one... Runner stepping out 7:07, HP V SC).

I have been pleased with the implementation.
I’ve been mostly pleased, except for the length of the stoppages. They seem to take way too long, even on obvious replays.

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »
I’ve been mostly pleased, except for the length of the stoppages. They seem to take way too long, even on obvious replays.
Most are taking so long because Rs cannot read back what RO tells them to say over the field mic. The onside kick in the first 6-man game was settled in the first 15 seconds of the replay. The remaining 2+minutes was on the R.  Somewhat understandable as it’s all new   

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 10:00:40 PM »
The gentlemen are active members of FWFO Chapter and are always involved with rookie training, rules interpretations/changes, ect. and are very deserving of inaugural IR.

Why is FW the only deserving chapter to work these?  Simple question.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »
Before this gets all spun out of control ....IR is totally UIL production.    They have their own guy who is a college replay official who coordinated this and is using mainly Big XII guys to help.  Just as TASO has no say in who works as the on field officiating crew, TASO has no say on the IR component

Unacceptable answer.  Completely unacceptable.  Does TASO provide officials for UIL games, or not?  Is the RO a part of the officiating crew, or not?  TASO, get with it guys, take control of this or get someone else in there that will.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »
I thought the UIL was staying out of the officiating business? I would take that to include replay.  They could have turned this over to TASO.   :sTiR:

Exactly my point.