Author Topic: Did you notice........  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Did you notice........
« on: January 22, 2019, 09:04:47 AM »
While, after viewing via slo-mo, stop action and zoom-in over and over, most of us agree that the non-call of DPI in the NFC game was incorrect; did you notice the correctible fax pas in the AFC game ? As usual, I was perched in my Attila-the Hun recliner, my hunting dawg on one side and my sipping jug on the other, WHEN......

(1) the Chiefs punted;
(2) the ball is not round and doesn't always take true bounces;
(3) the ball MAY have touched the Pat's receiver;
(4) a Chief picked up the ball and headed towards the end zone;
(5) the back judge ran along with him and appeared to signal touchdown  ^good ;
(6) the TV screen flashed "TOUCHDOWN";
(6) I SPRANG FROM MY CHAIR...MY DAWG BARKED...MY SIPPING JUG NEARLY SPILLED;
(7)  ^talk ^talk ^talk ^talk ^talk ^talk ^talk;
(8) they then got the call corrected.

I believe, at all levels, you can't advance a muffed kick and the officiating crew is said to be "the best of the best". At high school level I've had many muffed kicks over the years most have been whistled dead on recovery by K with the exception of unsure if catch & fumble or muff. I was surprised by the initial reaction by "the best of the best" Were you  :o :o ?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Did you notice........
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
Just goes to show, "STUFF happens" at all levels, and even "the best of the best" can suffer momentary confusion, although they quickly gathered themselves and righted the situation and eliminated confusion (on the field).

What was truly remarkable, was the fact that despite multiple opportunities for the receiver to ACTUALLY touch the kick, touching (as verified through  countless replay examination and perspective - down to the finest minute detail) NEVER happened.

Hopefully, your DAWG wasn't too upset and stressed out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:11:11 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
Yes. I was caught up in the moment on my living room as well!  That was a great game! There was another monent I wondered about.  It was during another punt and there was a penalty.  Tge ball was fair caught and the umpire said the penalty is enforced at the end of the run.   I thought he should have said at the end of the kick.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »
Just goes to show, "STUFF happens" at all levels, and even "the best of the best" can suffer momentary confusion, although they quickly gathered themselves and righted the situation and eliminated confusion (on the field).

What was truly remarkable, was the fact that despite multiple opportunities for the receiver to ACTUALLY touch the kick, touching (as verified through  countless replay examination and perspective - down to the finest minute detail) NEVER happened.

Hopefully, your DAWG wasn't too upset and stressed out.

....NOTHING THAT A GOOD BONE DIDN'T CURE :) !

We now set by awaiting :

(1) The New England Invitational (some still call it the Super Bowl);

(2) The NFHS press release listing new rules;

(3) the Red Sox equipment truck leaving for spring training.

We will all have something to debate quite soon.....

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:
(52 voting members)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
Yes. I was caught up in the moment on my living room as well!  That was a great game! There was another monent I wondered about.  It was during another punt and there was a penalty.  Tge ball was fair caught and the umpire said the penalty is enforced at the end of the run.   I thought he should have said at the end of the kick.
When a kick is fair caught, the end of the kick and the end of the run are the same. Things to remember on kicks when dealing with the "WHEN" factor:

(1) If the foul occurs during the kick, the basic spot is the end of the kick, with the all-but-one principle applying.
(2) If the foul occurs during the return by R, the basic spot is the end of the run with the all-but-one principle applying.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »
When a kick is fair caught, the end of the kick and the end of the run are the same.

True, but to quote a respected authority: "sloppy language leads to sloppy thinking."

I'm not well versed with NFL penalties during scrimmage kicks, but it may be that the (team A?) penalty really was enforced from the end of the last run as the ball belonged to team B, and the announcement was entirely correct.

Offline RD88

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 01:27:58 PM »

When I saw that bouncing scrimmage kick in the Chiefs-Pats game, I remembered all the Middle-school games around here when the benches, coaches and players yell "Poison! Poison!" on similar kicks.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 07:49:04 AM »
After watching the broadcast replay, the BJ threw a bean bag, then jogged toward the EZ and appeared to signal “stop the clock”.  This makes more sense to me than him signaling “Touchdown.”

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 08:41:21 AM »
How often do we get to practice these plays?

Easy for us to armchair these things.  Yeah, if one of the covering officials judged that Edelman touched the ball, the appropriate mechanic at point would have been to use the "legal touching" signal (NCAA signal 11 - don't know what it is for NFL), then continue to officiate.  Yes, when a KC player possessed the ball, the ball became dead, and the correct thing to have done would have been to sound a whistle and signal for the clock to stop, and signal KC possession.  If the covering official had judged the ball had not been touched, then just continue to observe, and, when the KC player possessed the ball, sound a whistle and signal for the clock to stop, and signal NE possession.
But these things happen so, so fast.  Even the best in the world have to pause and think, "What just happened?"  Better to allow the play to continue, than sound an inadvertent whistle or give an inadvertent signal.

With replay, they got it right.  And I think this is a good use of replay.

Put in the same position, would we have nailed it?  Really?

Robert

PS My reaction, from my recliner, at the moment was more like, "Edeleman, you idiot!" 

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »
After watching the broadcast replay, the BJ threw a bean bag, then jogged toward the EZ and appeared to signal “stop the clock”.  This makes more sense to me than him signaling “Touchdown.”
That’s the way I remember it. After a few steps he killed the clock. He didn’t signal TD.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 11:14:41 AM »
That’s the way I remember it. After a few steps he killed the clock. He didn’t signal TD.

As I joined the frenzied masses of Patriot Nation, I feared the worst and as the back judge began to raise his hand I may have thought I saw a TD signal. Alcohol may have also been contributing factor  :o ! I agree with Robert that when we are unsure of what we just saw, let the play go, as it is much easier to "rewind" the play than to eat an IW.
I assume that Coach B will be teaching the "poison" call to his kick return team >:( . If the call on the field wasn't reversed, Edeleman may have joined a select group of New England notables led by Bill Buckner  :'(  deadhorse:. He deserves much better than that, with the great job that he has done for the Pats...before arriving was a QB at Kent State.