Author Topic: "But I have options!!!!"  (Read 27522 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: "But I have options!!!!"
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2014, 10:29:14 AM »
We'll have enough challenging / argumentative calls to made in the impending game. The coin toss should not be one. :)

+A Billion

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »
We'll have enough challenging / argumentative calls to made in the impending game. The coin toss should not be one. :)
...ask Phil Luckett.  :sTiR:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 07:03:57 PM »
I've heard of a lifesaver being used in the cointoss
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline VALJ

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2014, 07:35:55 AM »
I almost had to do rock paper scissors the other day.  Fortunately, the coach had a nickel in his pocket.   :-[

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2014, 07:44:50 AM »
A few of the schools up here mic us up. "Testing one,two,three" ,to me, is boring. In lieu, I ask the assembling frenzied masses : "Does anyone in the stands have change for a dollar for the coin toss ??? ????"  :)

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2014, 08:42:38 AM »
There is a free app for the iPhone that is a coin toss app, even has a moving coin showing the "flip".  I heard of an R using his phone for the toss.  State heard about it and said, "Don't do that again."

Offline VALJ

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2014, 09:38:30 AM »
I wouldn't dare carry my cell phone on the field.  That would be the day I end up sandwiched between two Bubbas and end up falling on it.

Ref13

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »
I guess that about sums it up!  What other rules and/or mechanics don't you care about?

Do you ask the opponent of the scoring team if he wants the other team to kick off every time there is a touchdown in your games?

Offline VALJ

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »
Do you ask the opponent of the scoring team if he wants the other team to kick off every time there is a touchdown in your games?

:bOW

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
Before the game: we ask coaches what they want to do if they win the toss.  Visitors want to receive; Home wants to defer.

Are we required to do the whole coin flip "fandango"?  If not, would you?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »

Was it here I read about the time somebody, somowhere acutally asked that question and the coach said "Can you believe that sonofabuiscuiteater asked me if I wanna kick?"

Johnponz

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 03:19:02 PM »
Of course coin toss is required (3-2-1, 3-2-2).  This is further elaborated in the Official's Manual which is just as "official" as the rule book.  There is a whole section that tells you how to conduct this.  If your State and League allow it the coin toss can be held "off field," in which case there may be a simulated coin toss.

No matter what the coaches say pre-game the actual toss has to be held at some point. 

Now I really hope we are through with this topic.

Offline Curious

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 04:10:33 PM »
You can come down from your high-horse, John.  The question was posed as the result of the discussion about whether decisions should be made by coaches or captains.

I have witnessed and experienced - and had to clean-up - too many f@#*-ups to trust ANY decision to a player - captain or not.  So, at the risk of suffering your indignity, I will always ask the coaches what they want; and if one says "I want to receive" and the other one says "I want to defer", I'm not parading to the center of the field to talk to captains - who aren't listening to anything you say anyway - and ask them what I already know.  Unless they both want the ball or both want to defer, what purpose does a coin toss serve anyway?  Ceremony?

Paaaaleeze tiphat:

Johnponz

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2014, 08:23:36 AM »
No high horse.  It is required by the rules which I stated (you had previously asked a question that I was just answering-if the computer makes it sound like I was being arrogant-I am sorry was not intended that way).

Do what you want but the rule book says there has to be a toss at some point.  If I know what the coaches want for sure, I will not let the captains make a mistake, but there will be a toss.

Offline Curious

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2014, 09:04:16 AM »
Now we can put this topic to rest.... sNiCkErS

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
With all due respect, Curious, part of your JOB is, "parading to the center of the field to talk to captains - who aren't listening to anything you say anyway - and ask them what I already know". How YOU deal with what responses you hear, what precautions you elect to take to avoid any and all possible confusion and/or miscommunications is prudent and rational, as long as they're acceptable  in your area, and are likely a contributing factor as to  how much (or preferably how little), "clean-up - too many f@#*-ups to trust ANY decision to a player" YOU may have to deal with.

There have been multiple, SOLID, suggestions about avoiding such instances included in this discussion.  As is USUALLY the case, what MATTERS is what WORKS and is ACCEPTABLE in YOUR area, which may be somewhat different from what is rountinely done elsewhere.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »
Now we can put this topic to rest.... sNiCkErS

My feelings are hurt. I got chopped off and locked WAAAAAAY before this.  ???