Author Topic: And the TD pass is caught by...the snapper!  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
And the TD pass is caught by...the snapper!
« on: November 20, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
SCENE : State Championship Game

SITUATION : 4th & goal @ B's 5
                   0:10 to go in 2nd quarter, A 14,B 13
A shifts into the following :

85 75 65 60 55 50                   14
   11                               25     QB    6

B covers the key players :
                                    B1   B2   B3   B4
                                      25     QB     6

The Play :   (1) ball snapped  to QB
                 (2) B1 covers 25, B4 covers 6
                 (3) B2 & B3 rush QB
                 (4) no one bothers to cover 14
                 (5) QB bothers to throw 14 a pass
                 (6) 14 has bothered to catch it...

IN THE END ZONE
 ^good ^good ^good ^good ^good ^good ^good

This was my alma mater
This was their 4th straight state championship game
this made me proud (maroon - school color)

aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd

MAINE CENTRAL INSTITUTE

EDITOR'S NOTE : the aligned numbers above may not read well on your screen. The formation was of the "swinging gate" variety usually used on PAT kick situations and usually resulting in failure. I was at the game as a fan but was asked by several : "When can the center catch a touchdown pass ??? :o ??? "

I answered : "When he holds on to the pass in the end zone AND WHEN HE HAS A RECIEVER'S NUMBER AND WHEN HE'S ON THE END OF THE LINE  8] "
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:59:21 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: And the TD pass is caught by...the snapper!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Legal play.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
Something like Iowa did to Ohio State a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F3p-ZgJlrg

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »
Sounds like an offensive coordinator bothered to read the rule, and unfortunately, s defensive coordinator didn't bother.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »
Sounds like an offensive coordinator bothered to read the rule, and unfortunately, s defensive coordinator didn't bother.
The loyal opposition called a TO when they first saw the shift. I can only assume that they assumed:
 (1) MCI wouldn't run the same play shift now that they have shown it.
 (2) IF they shifted into that, they would still only have the snapper, QB & RB alone at ball.

They assumed wrong on both...

MCI again shifted into the "swinging gate"
         BUT
This time MCI had snapper, QB AND TWO RBs at the ball.

B had sent 4 to cover...2 would cover the receivers and two would box the QB.

The ball was snapped....
 B1 & B2 rushed the QB......
   B3 & B4 covered the two running backs....
     The snapper jogged into the end zone.....
       The QB flipped him the ball like a dart to a board...
         It was a bull's eye....
           The snapper hugged the ball..
             The half ended....
               The opponents never recovered...

...AND THE BAND PLAYED ON!!

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 06:29:44 AM »
Nothing to do with my ole' prep school winning the state championship, BUT.......

SOX    14

YANKS    1

NUF'  SAID.....

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)    :'( (YANKEE FAN)

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 09:38:49 AM »
Nothing to do with my ole' prep school winning the state championship, BUT.......

SOX    14
YANKS    1
NUF'  SAID.....

ALAS, "Some days are diamonds, some days are STONES".  Good Lord willing, there will be more Yankee diamonds found in this year's 16 remaining meetings, especially those on the last 3 days of the season.  Que Sera Sera (apologies to Doris Day).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:40:41 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 10:10:52 AM »
ALAS, "Some days are diamonds, some days are STONES".  Good Lord willing, there will be more Yankee diamonds found in this year's 16 remaining meetings, especially those on the last 3 days of the season.  Que Sera Sera (apologies to Doris Day).
A shame that probably the 2 best teams in the AL are in the same division. A win is a win but I assume that that regular season ending series will draw much more attention than this. :)

Offline riffraft

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »

SOX    14

YANKS    1

NUF'  SAID.....

My brother-in-law and his wife flew in from Boston yesterday, so I was forced to watch this last night with my father-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, his wife, my stepson and my wife (all big time Red Sox fans). I suggested that we turn the Cincinnati Reds game and watch them lose, but they wouldn't hear of it.  ;D

Offline ChicagoZebra

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 10:36:48 AM »
Something like Iowa did to Ohio State a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F3p-ZgJlrg

These thoughts apply to either NFHS or NCAA...

1. I assume they have 5 guys 50-79 on the LOS so there is no numbering exception being used. upon further thoughts... this is not relevant in this play unless the snapper was originally lined up as being ineligible by position

2. I would like this play a lot more if the back to the right of the snapper is one big step back. No way I am flagging it, but it mildly deceptive since that is basically a spot where lineman line up on many punt plays.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:44:05 PM by ChicagoZebra »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »
My brother-in-law and his wife flew in from Boston yesterday, so I was forced to watch this last night with my father-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, his wife, my stepson and my wife (all big time Red Sox fans). I suggested that we turn the Cincinnati Reds game and watch them lose, but they wouldn't hear of it.  ;D
Sounds like you were outnumbered !! Let's hope for a Red Sox/Leg World Series.  :) We of Red Sox Nation are still watching reruns of Carlton Fisk drilling a Pat Darcy fastball off the foul pole in left at 12:30 in the 12th inning. I can't recall who won the seventh game later that day :( :o ??? ::) :'( :!# pray:; pi1eOn

aWaRd :puke: :puke: :puke: aWaRd aWaRd :puke: (seven game series)

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
These thoughts apply to either NFHS or NCAA...

1. I assume they have 5 guys 50-79 on the LOS so there is no numbering exception being used. upon further thoughts... this is not relevant in this play unless the snapper was originally lined up as being ineligible by position
Actually it is very relevant. They are not in a scrimmage kick formation so they must have 5 ineligible numbers on the line. But put the back who received the snap back 3 more yards, then they are in scrimmage kick formation. There is no requirement in NCAA for the snapper to be an interior lineman with or without the numbering the exception. What you are alluding to is they couldn't line up initially with him as a numbering exception on the interior line and then shift so he becomes and end. He does not become an eligible receiver, and they have an illegal formation at the snap.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 05:30:09 PM »

Related to NFHS, the requirements for a player (including a snapper) to be an eligible receiver,  are that he be wearing an eligible number (1-49, 80-99), and eligible by position at the time of the snap (NFHS 7-5-6a: on either end of the line, or legally behind the line).

Formation requirements (including exceptions) are specified in NFHS 7-2-5-a-d.

Offline riffraft

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
Actually it is very relevant. They are not in a scrimmage kick formation so they must have 5 ineligible numbers on the line. But put the back who received the snap back 3 more yards, then they are in scrimmage kick formation. There is no requirement in NCAA for the snapper to be an interior lineman with or without the numbering the exception. What you are alluding to is they couldn't line up initially with him as a numbering exception on the interior line and then shift so he becomes and end. He does not become an eligible receiver, and they have an illegal formation at the snap.

Yes, everyone remember Game 6, but few remember that the Reds won the series.

I like what Rose said after Game 6. He said something like wasn't that just the greatest game to play in and someone questioned him how he could say that when they just lost. He replied it's ok we will win the next one.

I will be happy if the Reds end of anywhere near .500, let alone the World Series

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »
I like what Rose said after Game 6. He said something like wasn't that just the greatest game to play in and someone questioned him how he could say that when they just lost. He replied it's ok we will win the next one.

I'm nowhere near qualified to judge Pete Rose as a person, that's up to a much higher power.  However, he was most certainly a quality baseball player, who earned and is well worthy of membership in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »
I'm nowhere near qualified to judge Pete Rose as a person, that's up to a much higher power.  However, he was most certainly a quality baseball player, who earned and is well worthy of membership in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Read the Dowd Report (including the attached exhibits), then get back to us.  He has never taken responsibility for his actions.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »
Read the Dowd Report (including the attached exhibits), then get back to us.  He has never taken responsibility for his actions.

Until I make a public acceptance of responsibility for EVERY inappropriate mistake I've ever made, I'm really reluctant to demand that of everyone else.  "Let he, who is without sin cast the first stone", still seems like really good advice.

Like the rest of us, Pete Rose will be judged by, and may well have to answer for his conduct, to a different jury.  However, based on his actual performance on a professional baseball field, he easily qualifies for a well earned place in Cooperstown.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
The play in the OP is legal
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:44:46 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline riffraft

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »

There is no question that Rose is not exactly a high quality person, but he was great ballplayer, which should be the only qualification for the HOF

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 08:17:14 AM »
There is no question that Rose is not exactly a high quality person, but he was great ballplayer, which should be the only qualification for the HOF
IMHO, for Pete to be selected for the HOF, Shoeless Joe Jackson would also need to be inducted. His stats were well equal to Rose's for his short career.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 07:09:37 AM »

SOX    14

YANKS    1

NUF'  SAID.....

Sometimes things get worse/better.....

RED SOX     16
YANKEES     1

'NUF SAID...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   :( :( :(  (OUR CHAPTER HAS 3 YANKEE FANS 8])

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 10:05:12 AM »
Perhaps that's why God usually sprinkles a thorn bush with a few roses.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »
Perhaps that's why God usually sprinkles a thorn bush with a few roses.
Glad to see you're a good sport, Al, I believe it was a former Yankee that once said : "It's not over until it's over!"
I have a bet with one of my zebra buddy who's a diehard Yankee fan. If the Yanks should win, I'll wear a Yankee cap to our annual state banquet. If the Sox should win, he wears a Red Sox cap.

B   OR  NY

....STAY TUNED!

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
Glad to see you're a good sport, Al, I believe it was a former Yankee that once said : "It's not over until it's over!"
I have a bet with one of my zebra buddy who's a diehard Yankee fan. If the Yanks should win, I'll wear a Yankee cap to our annual state banquet. If the Sox should win, he wears a Red Sox cap.

B   OR  NY

....STAY TUNED!

IT'S  OVER !!!

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 08:32:25 AM »
Actually Ralph, "IT'S" not over, although this season's version unfortunately has ended.  "IT" will begin all over again next April.

In the meantime, this season's ultimate quest continues.  Even if somewhat begrudgingly, in that regard, "Best wishes and Good luck the rest of the way".  As a long ago Brooklyn Dodger fan, I remember the incantation, "Wait till next year".