Author Topic: AAF Uniforms  (Read 11113 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
AAF Uniforms
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:22:25 PM »
They are, uh,......

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: AAF Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:08:53 PM »
The only thing worse than the uniforms is the nicknames. Fleet? Apollos? Express? Plus the logos look like crap too. At least the game on field is surprisingly entertaining.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 09:38:13 PM »
To be clear, I ain’t talkin’ about the team uniforms.

Whose idea....

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 10:40:00 PM »

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:10:19 AM »
Look more like police uniforms, does the belt have a pepper spray attachment?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 06:49:08 AM »
As described on Facebook, they look as if they are wearing a vest over their stripes.  I guess the stars on the sleeves and stripes on the belly are supposed to conjure up some patriotic image and the "vest" supposed to break the pattern up but that outfit didn't do it.  The hats use what I believe is the same odd Arena league pattern.

The defunct UFL had the officials in solid color polos, albeit in a rather neon-ish green.  Sometimes simple is better.  I understand that stripes were used to distinguish the field officials from the players on the field.  In the early days of football, many officials wore a simple white button up shirt with their knickers and a plain cap.

While I don't advocate a return to white in anything that we as officials wear on the field, the simpler the better, IMO.  Maybe use different color shirts or caps to differentiate the position.

The AAF's narrative appears to be that they want to align themselves with the NFL ASAP.  Perhaps if they do, the officials can transition to the NFL uniform, minus the NFL logos.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 08:08:06 AM »
Those shirts ... stripes, stars, solid "vest."    Oh my.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »
I 'heard' they are already being, uh, re-considered.  I could be wrong, again.

Plain black pants and plain black shirts with league logo on chest or sleeve, and numbers on sleeves (like MLB) would be a big improvement.  Are position letters important?  Not really.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 01:52:32 PM »
What's the problem with black and white stripes?  Wider versions are more visible, and stripes have worked pretty well for the past 100+ years.  Black pants, with a white stripe, seem to be working pretty well these last several years, and a black cap (with white piping) is still unique (although all white for the Referee is a good way to identify who's in charge).

Does anyone (who wears the uniform) really care about the superficial details (colors, format, etc.) as long as we're clearly identifiable, and the design is consistent from game to game and easily recognizable to players, coaches, timers? Fabric, comfort, easy of cleaning, durability, weather resistant are important, but can be made in whatever design (including black & white stripes).

Fashion police aside, does any of this matter?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 07:48:18 PM »
They should have newly designed shirts in a week or two. 

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 09:19:17 PM »
We were making jokes about the bro or the manssierre today.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »
I assume their "vests" are bullet-proof to protect them from all the verbal bullets that are thrown by the frenzied masses  >:( . For the viewing audience to hear replay discussions is novel....until someone says a naughty word >:D....the FCC will quickly  ^flag......After a bit, I switched to Law & Order reruns. There the good guys usually get the bad guys and the bad guys usually win an extended vacation to Crow Bar Inn P_S P_S P_S.

Not totally related : The Red Sox Equipment truck has arrived in Ft. Myers, Fl. with pitchers and catchers reporting in 2 days. tR:oLl tR:oLl

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
I assume their "vests" are bullet-proof to protect them from all the verbal bullets that are thrown by the frenzied masses  >:( . For the viewing audience to hear replay discussions is novel....until someone says a naughty word >:D....the FCC will quickly  ^flag......After a bit, I switched to Law & Order reruns. There the good guys usually get the bad guys and the bad guys usually win an extended vacation to Crow Bar Inn P_S P_S P_S.

Not totally related : The Red Sox Equipment truck has arrived in Ft. Myers, Fl. with pitchers and catchers reporting in 2 days. tR:oLl tR:oLl

They already have that problem. They had so many players and coaches miced up that the announcers would go dead mid-sentence because they were blanking out an f-bomb or the playcalls from the field.

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 04:39:08 PM »
Every official I have seen so far looks like his belly is hanging out from under a vest!
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 04:19:03 PM »
I think they got these uniforms from Major League Fishing referees.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 04:51:51 AM »
I think they got these uniforms from Major League Fishing referees.

LOL LOL LOL aWaRd

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
They already have that problem. They had so many players and coaches miced up that the announcers would go dead mid-sentence because they were blanking out an f-bomb or the playcalls from the field.

I had stopped to get a pizza at a bar in Birmingham. (SLICE) a guy was sitting there talking about the Birmingham Iron while I was waiting. He asked about the Official's Uniforms ....I replied "It's about time someone came up with the idea for a bullet proof vest for Officials. Now if they can only come up with a way to black out stupid from the mouths of players and coaches."

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »
Week 3- changes were made to show more stripes.

Instead of a vest, now its a bra.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »
Week 3- changes were made to show more stripes.

Instead of a vest, now its a bra.
So instead of ZEBRAS z^ ,should we refer to them as FEMALE IMPERSONATORS  ??? ??? ?

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »
Anybody got a photo of the new unis they can share?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 12:57:55 PM »
So instead of ZEBRAS z^ ,should we refer to them as FEMALE IMPERSONATORS  ??? ??? ?

There are actually 3 females officiating in the league. 

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 07:36:25 AM »
There are actually 3 females officiating in the league.
My bad, I should learn to be more politically correct  :-[ !  To each his own opinion, but mine is that the new unis look more like the beginning of a cape in lieu of a bra. Zorro wore a cape, so they could be referred to as : Zorro Zebras.  :)

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
My bad, I should learn to be more politically correct  :-[ !  To each his own opinion, but mine is that the new unis look more like the beginning of a cape in lieu of a bra. Zorro wore a cape, so they could be referred to as : Zorro Zebras.  :)

Ugly, for sure. 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
Alternating vertical black and white stripes, in various thicknesses, have worked pretty well for over 75 years.   Considering Television coverage, the wider stripe versions used at the NFHS an NCAA levels appear to be more instantly visible, and are universally recognizable.