Author Topic: TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications  (Read 33260 times)

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
Re: TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2017, 11:15:30 PM »
how to purchase some shorter antennas

Can you fill us in?

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2017, 08:33:44 AM »

You can find them cheaper on ebay but most likely coming from China.

Kinda like the radio?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2017, 08:39:20 AM »
Kinda like the radio?

I think 99% of electronics comes from Asia now days, regardless of the brand.  At $10 a radio, its okay with me.  If breaks, I chunk it and get another.  You guys still using Yapalong?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread, but we just got approved for radios here in PA, and just wondered how the radios you guys bought have worked out to you after using them for a season.  Which ones do you recommend?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »
Suggest you PM TexDoc as he is the resident expert.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »
Cheapo Midlands work fine. 2 for $25 or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2023, 06:58:09 PM »
Wanted to pull this thread back up. Have been using the Midland FRS radios for several seasons now. Getting a GMRS license and wondering about getting several of those radios and using them. We have some general quality issues with the Midlands -- clarity, interference, etc. I have guys that talk and we only get a part of what they say. Telling someone to "repeat" is often a problem depending on the situation. Plus, I'm wondering if the ear pieces for the "better" radios might also be better.

I'm assuming that one GMRS licensee is sufficient for everyone. I don't mind getting a case of radios and taking them to games. Several of our crew chiefs do that anyway. If it ends up being better, I'm all for it. My guys will agree. Plus, some of them forget to charge their radios!

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2023, 09:50:22 PM »
In my experience, the radio isn't the problem - it's the crappy headsets, particularly the ones where the PTT button is on the throat. They're an investment, but the Good Call Officiating headsets are a vast, vast improvement, plus it's easier when the button is on your waist. The quality of the mic is what matters most, I think, and the cheaper the headset, the worse the quality.

What I don't like, it the GCO headsets are a vast improvement for everyone who can hear me - but if your whole crew doesn't have them, it's kind of pointless. You won't be able to hear any better until they get a better quality mic.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2023, 10:16:04 PM »
What I don't like, it the GCO headsets are a vast improvement for everyone who can hear me - but if your whole crew doesn't have them, it's kind of pointless. You won't be able to hear any better until they get a better quality mic.

The problem with small, cheap mics is that most officials have a tendency to talk too loudly.  They over-modulate the capability of the mic, which causes problems.  Talking at a normal voice level will help, but it’s hard to remember in the heat of battle.