Author Topic: 7-man....anyone ????  (Read 3665 times)

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
7-man....anyone ????
« on: May 24, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
Maine is rarely the vanguard in any football event (except fake FG + bat toward EZ + K scoops & runs = TD...prompting the addition of 9-7-3) and we've been asked to provide one official for a 7-man passing league. We are told he should position in A's backfield and utter a count to 4 and if a pass isn't made it results in a sack (no one's rushing). This is all new to us, but bet it isn't to you guys and any suggestions/rules/guidelines would be welcomed.

^no ^TD ^good :!# ::) ??? :o

THANKS , tiphat:

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
Re: 7-man....anyone ????
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:41:06 AM »
One official, thanks but no thanks.  The second play they're going to ask about PI, how far are you going to let them push my receiver, how soon can he block my defender, etc, etc.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »
I agree with Shawn.  Three is preferable, two at a minimum.  If they insist on one, let them provide somebody else (manager, trainer, etc) to keep the 4-second count so you have a downfield official..

(If they argue, just tell 'em that Nick Saban uses three!)

Offline justbill13

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
Tell the league to buy one of these

http://store.qbtee.net/product-p/qbtee.htm

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:42:02 PM »
I began my officiating career in 7v7 flag football. The NIRSA Flag and Touch Football Rules Book has a mechanics manual in the back. Most schools run three man mechanics, the regional and national tournaments run four. To think of officiating a 7v7 game with only one official seems a bit ridiculous to me. I wouldn't do it. The NIRSA Manual does have two man mechanics (or at least it did back when I was officiating), but I've never heard of a school using it.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
One thing I find useless in 7 on 7 tournaments is the Referee.  Someone can keep the 4 second count and officiate the play too.  Useless to have one person solely devoted to that while the other guys do all the work.  If we have 3 men, we put 2 guys on the sideline (deep or short depending on personal preference) and one back judge deep center.  Never use an R.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
7-7 is huge here in TX. We never do a one-man mechanic though. Always 2 and at the state championships, we do 3. An "R" on the LOS right sideline counts the 4-second rule with a stopwatch, FS, ILF, spots on short gains, that kind of thing.  A "Deep wing" on the other side of the field roughly 15 yards downfield or on any important line to gain(1st down line or goalline). He calls DPI, Holding, long spots. Then when we do 3-man we add a "B" in the middle of the field

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
7-on-7:
R in the backfield is a waste of a man, in my opinion. - all so the QB can hear him count while 100% of the action is downfield

Preface:
*round here, officials do not chase down balls nor spot the balls.
*each official calls what they see - which is mostly B-holding, DPI or OPI.
*dont worry if a receiver is covered - it's a passing game. who is he fooling out there?

round these parts, for 2-man:
offiaial1: is a L/H on the los presnap, but floats downfield 5yd before the snap (if there's NZ or moving he can see it from there). Once the snap goes off, he continues to float 10-15yd and has his sideline to about the hash and can still see for illegal passes - which for a 4-secons count is very rare and close to impossible.

Official2 I see two ways:
scenario1: is a F/S but pre-snap is maybe only 10yd. (but middle of the field is not well covered)
Scenario 2: is a B but is 15 yd deep at the snap and favors the other side of his fellow official (around the numbers so he can see sidelines and middle of the field) and has everything deep.

If 3 officials:
official1: is L/H as described above
official2: is F/S as dscribed above
official3: is a traditional B
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:26:32 AM by TampaSteve »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »
all in all, if there's only one official they'll pay for:
*make him a deep U (shallow B) favoring the strong side.
*A will chase down their balls and spot the balls.
*4-count will be a challenge.
*holding on B will be nearly impossible to call as there's one set of eyes that can only see one side of the ball.

Offline skip1

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
The R is not needed. The league that I used to officiate used these training tee's When the ball is lifted off the tee a 4 times starts and the beeps. No arguments.

Athletic Specialty Football QB Tee Trainer

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:49 AM »
7-7 is huge here in TX. We never do a one-man mechanic though. Always 2 and at the state championships, we do 3. An "R" on the LOS right sideline counts the 4-second rule with a stopwatch, FS, ILF, spots on short gains, that kind of thing.  A "Deep wing" on the other side of the field roughly 15 yards downfield or on any important line to gain(1st down line or goalline). He calls DPI, Holding, long spots. Then when we do 3-man we add a "B" in the middle of the field
I've coordinated some 7-on-7 tournaments here and this is what I do other than the B. Short wing starts on the LOS and drifts after the snap watching guys on his half of the field. Deep wing starts on the opposite side on the LTG or goal line unless we are withing 5-10 yards (then the short wing will cover it). If there is 3-man I prefer to have the deep wing on the short wing side by deeper than the other short wing. He will have the goal line until the other deep wing has it. Then he will move to the end line. He will also move back to the end line if receivers anywhere go into the end zone. Having the B in the middle keeps you from boxing in everything that goes deep to the corner opposite the other deep wing.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
In my opinion 7-on-7 is FANTASTIC training for new officials (no so much keys) to look at the receivers/defenders and passing plays.
A new guy might 2-3 90-min (or less) scrimmages with about 50% of the plays as passes vs 7-on-7 where every single play is a pass and you can get a ton of passing snaps per hour that you're out there.

Round these parts, the 'summer 7-on-7 league' runs up until about 2 weeks before actual fall practice starts. During this time, officials are having meetings, traning, etc. and it's an excellent time for the old guys to knock off the rust and the new guys to step in on full speed snaps.

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »
If one must do a passing league with one official, the official should set up as a Back Judge and deliver the count from there.