Author Topic: 2nd kick during the down  (Read 4293 times)

cougar729

2nd kick during the down
« on: March 09, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
I'm trying to write some study questions for our association and came up with a play where Team A's scrimmage kick is blocked behind the neutral zone and, picked up by the kicker behind the neutral zone and kicked again.

Is there anything in NFHS rules that prevent a 2nd kick during the down? I know it says that Team A can advance the kick if it was caught or recovered behind the neutral zone, but not seeing anything refer to if it can be kicked a 2nd time.

Here I am trying to be clever and outsmarted myself   hEaDbAnG

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: 2nd kick during the down
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
If A/K recovers a kick behind the NZ, they retain all rights they had before they kicked it the first time.  That includes the right to kick it again.

But that brings up the ugly discussion we had back around the beginning of the year regarding first touching of a second kick, and K being able to "recover" that second kick.  Let's not go there again.

cougar729

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »
I must have missed that discussion, so for the sake of keeping it as simple as possible, lets say that B fair caught the second kick.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »
AB has it right for NFHS code - and yet again proves that he should be in stripes, and not wasted as a coach.   ;D

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »
You might take alook at NF: 6-2-3, and the associated Case Book example 6.2.3 situation A.  The Case Book comments regarding this play should be of assistance to you.  The key is understanding that the term "Advance" references K being able to advance th ball in any fashion that would have previously been able to advance the ball, which would include running, passing or kicking the ball.

cougar729

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
That's what I had assumed the meaning was, coupled with no evidence of restrictions on what A/K couldnt do

LarryW60

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
I must have missed that discussion, so for the sake of keeping it as simple as possible, lets say that B fair caught the second kick.
If we're only concerned about whether they CAN kick it a second time, then how the ball ends up at the end of the play is moot.  They CAN kick it as long as they recover it behind the LOS.

The discussion AB was referencing concentrated on who had the ball at the end of the play, not whether the second kick could be made.  (Look out, AB, going there again!  >:D )  In a nutshell: K kicks over LOS but short; R muffs ball back over LOS; K picks up ball and kicks again; K downs the untouched kick downfield; did the touching by R during the first kick still count after the second kick and it's now K's ball where it was downed?; we pretty much came to the conclusion the second kick wiped away the touch by R during the first kick.  It's R's ball where it was downed.