Author Topic: Baseball riddle II  (Read 6960 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Baseball riddle II
« on: June 17, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Big ole' Bubba homers and strikes out, yet is part of his team's 1-2-3 inning. How so ???

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
Re: Baseball riddle II
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 02:30:28 PM »
I haven't called baseball in a long time.   Bubba jumps into the batter's box and homers.  The other coach rightly says he batted out of turn by one position.  Out!   He then comes up in his correct spot and strikes out.  Probably not correct but I tried.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »
I haven't called baseball in a long time.   Bubba jumps into the batter's box and homers.  The other coach rightly says he batted out of turn by one position.  Out!   He then comes up in his correct spot and strikes out.  Probably not correct but I tried.

I think you nailed it.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:26:11 AM »

You’re right, but to be technical, Bubba’s not out for batting out of order.  It’s the batter who should have been at the plate that’s out.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 08:11:06 AM »
You guys were all right on top of it  aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd !

(1) Batting order : A_B_C ,with Bubba C;
(2) A pops up;
(3) overexcited Bubba jumps into B's spot and homers;
(4) crafty opposing coach appeals;
(5) the scheduled batter, B is ruled out, and next up is the batter who followed him - BUbba ;
(6) this time Bubba strikes out....

NOT ALL BASEBALL STORIES CAN HAVE HAPPY ENDINGS...... :-[

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
Darn you, now you got me thinking about baseball rules.  My son went to the Wendlestat Umpiring School and my daughter worked for the Memphis Chicks for 6 years.   We are a baseball family.

Question, how many ways are there for a team to get more than 3 outs?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
Darn you, now you got me thinking about baseball rules.  My son went to the Wendlestat Umpiring School and my daughter worked for the Memphis Chicks for 6 years.   We are a baseball family.

The Bar Harbor Whale Dung have runners on 2nd & 3rd with one out, when......

(1)Batter hits long fly over CF's head;
(2)Scooter, the Eastport Sea Worms CF and state high jump champion, races back and makes a leaping catch;
(3)the runners were off and running;
(4) the runner at 3rd had already touched home when the runner was doubled off 2nd for the 3rd out;
(5) to erase the runner from 3rd, who had scored on a time play, an appeal would be needed at 3rd;
(6) that makes the 4th out and Sea Worms could then choose that as out #3 and cancel the run.

.....there may be others....

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »

Indiana state baseball Class 2A championship last night. Home team down 3-2 bottom of the 7th with 2 out and nobody on. Batter swings and misses at strike 3 but catcher mishandles it. Batter takes off for first. Catcher throws down but overthrows first baseman and runner advances to second. Next batter singles to tie the game as runner advances to second on the throw. Next batter hit high fly ball to left field with short stop drifting out. He appears to be camped under it when he bails at the last second. The balls between the SS and LF as the winning run scores. Excitement for the home team. Devastation for the visitors especially catcher and SS/LF. Sports teaches so much!

Offline Willis

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
How about five outs:
Bases loaded, 1 out.  Batter hits to deep right and runners take off.  Right fielded makes an amazing catch while R2 from second and R3 from third cross the plate assuming that the catch was missed while R1 stops at second and attempts to return to first to tag up.  R2 and R3 crossed the plate before the appeal out on R1 which would have resulted in their run counting.  Right fielder throws to first for the third out.  Second-baseman calls for the ball to appeal R2 leaving early, umpire calls R2 out (4th out) and removes his run.  F5 calls for the ball, F4 throws it to him and F5 appeals on R3 leaving early.  Umpire calls R3 out (5th out), removes his run, and then prepares to eject the offensive coach who is about to have a total meltdown.

I think it would also be possible to get 6 outs:  bases loaded, batter singles and gets caught in a run-down between first and second.  During the run-down, R3, R2, and R1 all run home and all miss the plate.  Then the batter is tagged for the third out.  The catcher calls for the ball and stands on the plate.  He looks at the umpire and says, "he missed the plate."  The umpire says, "which one?"  The catcher says, "the guy from first." Umpire, "yup, OUT."  The catcher then says, "the guy from second also missed the plate."  Umpire, "that's true too, he's OUT!"  The catcher pauses and says, "Mr. Umpire, I also think the guy on third skipped over the plate."  Umpire says, "sounds right to me, he's OUT!!!  No runs score!" 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »
In reality, I had what I believe, a quintruple steal once. Bases were loaded when......

(1) Runner from 3rd steals home, other two move up = 3 SBs;
(2) Catcher moves toward mound and flips ball back to pitcher;
(3) Runner now at 3rd breaks for home;
(4) pitcher flips back to catcher , catcher dives in attempt to tag runner;
(5) catcher misses, runner safe other runner moves up = 2 more SBs = 5 0n same play.

Inning ends , 3B coach on his way to his dugout, asks : "How should we score that ?"
I responded : "Well, there wasn't any errors or fielder indifference (only stupidity by catcher) so I guess you would credit your team with 5 steals !!"