Author Topic: Game Fees  (Read 15068 times)

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
Re: Game Fees
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 09:01:44 PM »
I do like the idea of paying a flat rate for the crew and then they divide it among themselves.  With our lack of qualified young officials I can see some of the bigger schools say, "Coby, since you are one of 4 all div 1 crews left in 2025 with any experience, I am going to give you $3000 for a 7 man crew, 2 clock operators, and 3 chain guys."

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »
You might wanna rethink that after you check out the employment law issues that you are gonna have.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Game Fees
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 11:32:14 PM »
I do like the idea of paying a flat rate for the crew and then they divide it among themselves.  With our lack of qualified young officials I can see some of the bigger schools say, "Coby, since you are one of 4 all div 1 crews left in 2025 with any experience, I am going to give you $3000 for a 7 man crew, 2 clock operators, and 3 chain guys."

I might come back home for those rates.

Here in our association it is:

Varsity $76
JV $61
Frosh $60

The reason Frosh and JV are so close is we are paid extra to work a 5th quarter for Frosh games.

Offline HoustonUmp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 09:16:47 PM »
Good reason to not work 9th grade in Cali

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Game Fees
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 03:26:09 AM »
Good reason to not work 9th grade in Cali

It's not a big deal and unlike Houston, we work all levels of high school with at least four officials. I hated having only three on the field for subvarsity there. :)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
MAINE : $71.50 varsity, 4-5 officials
             $50.50 sub-varsity, 3 officials
             Mileage : $ 0.45 per mile first 100 miles, $ 0.23 per mile thereafter
                            2 car max.

Post Season : varsity fee X 1.25 playoffs, 5 officials
                                                  X 1.50 championship, 7 officials
                                                   $35. per chain crew (4) & asst. clock operator in championship.

Canadian Loonies not considered legal tender 

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »
In my experience around here, we subvarsity guys work twice as hard for the same amount of money. :P

Freshman/JV games are $45/game and varsity is $90. What hef described above as a rare occurance is actually what I've been doing every week for two going on three years. We get to the school, work the freshman game, and then usually have about 20-30 minutes for the two JV teams to warm up, then get on with the JV game.

That makes for some late nights sometimes. There was one non-conference freshman game I worked that was delayed an hour and 45 minutes because the visiting team's bus driver got lost and wound up calling the AD, who called the home school's AD to ask for directions. That's probably the one and only time I will ever see a pregame delay of game penalty.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 12:21:36 PM »
In my experience around here, we subvarsity guys work twice as hard for the same amount of money. :P

Freshman/JV games are $45/game and varsity is $90. What hef described above as a rare occurance is actually what I've been doing every week for two going on three years. We get to the school, work the freshman game, and then usually have about 20-30 minutes for the two JV teams to warm up, then get on with the JV game.

That makes for some late nights sometimes. There was one non-conference freshman game I worked that was delayed an hour and 45 minutes because the visiting team's bus driver got lost and wound up calling the AD, who called the home school's AD to ask for directions. That's probably the one and only time I will ever see a pregame delay of game penalty.

Brendan

I think you will find your experience is no different from the rest of ours.  I have officiated JV games withi 3 man, I have worked many games 2 man, and even one 8th A and B game doubleheader by myself.  Some of the districts in the Dallas area pay for 4 officials for 7th and 8th grade, while others pay only 3.  Sometimes officials fail to show.  Sometimes schools buses breakdown or get delayed.  I have had many Subvarsity games delayed by an hour or more.  But never, never, never, never, would I ever penalize a team for delay of game because they got to the game site late.

Offline mostripes

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
I can only speak for the St. Louis area of Missouri.. but our varsity fee (5 officials) was just raised to $93/official for certain athletic conferences.  Subvarsity (JV/Frosh) is $55.  Many schools are going to only a single sub-varsity team as they are having troubles finding players.  Little league around this area consists of 4th grade through 8th grade and based on having issues finding officials to work those games several leagues are paying $55/official with 4th-6th grade using 3 officials and 7th and 8th using 4 officials per game.

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
  Brendan

I think you will find your experience is no different from the rest of ours.  I have officiated JV games withi 3 man, I have worked many games 2 man, and even one 8th A and B game doubleheader by myself.  Some of the districts in the Dallas area pay for 4 officials for 7th and 8th grade, while others pay only 3.  Sometimes officials fail to show.  Sometimes schools buses breakdown or get delayed.  I have had many Subvarsity games delayed by an hour or more.  But never, never, never, never, would I ever penalize a team for delay of game because they got to the game site late.

It wasn't my decision and my opinion wasn't asked. I was so new at that time I didn't even know what to say about it. I'm still that way to a degree-off the field, much to the chagrin of some folks here, I can be loud-mouthed and opinionated, but on the field, my mouth is wired shut and I tend not to speak unless spoken to. Which is still ironic because that's one of the few times where my opinion actually matters.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »
  Brendan

Actually, IF a penalty was called , it would be a USC (8-1-g-2) against the HC...not the way to get a game off to a good start :(. The only exception might be IF the bus driver was also the head coach AND he decided to stop by the home of the prom queen's divorced mom/widowed grandmother for a    >:D pre-game conference >:D on the way to the field. :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:42:29 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »
NY varies by section of the state. For my area (Albany) for this year:

Varsity: R gets $93, four addition on-field officials get $89, clock gets $57
Subvarsity (HS): Four officials, $67.50
Middle school: Three officials, $60.50 (+$15 if they do a "fifth quarter", which is common)
Youth: Varies, but around $45, usually four officials

Sectional semifinals: varsity + $3
Sectional finals: varsity + $7

All officials receive $7 travel allowance over the above numbers. (This was changed from a calculation based on IRS mileage rate several years ago.)

Best guess at what state-level playoffs pay would be around $20 more, since we're not the highest-paid section in the state and I figure playoffs have to beat that.