Author Topic: Out of bounds kickoff ruling  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Uncleshants@gmail.com

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Out of bounds kickoff ruling
« on: October 21, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »
So I am watching the CIN vs. Kc game. Kc made what seemed to be a perfect kick where the ball stopped on the 10 noteven touching the out of bounds. I repeat. The ball stopped in play. Bengals player picked it up with his feet out of bounds and the cheifs got penalized. Maybe i read the rule wrong. But to me, that seemed like a great kick and the bengals should be on the 10. And suddenly they arent and it was a penalty. Is this right? If so, I am moving on to european futbol. Cause that was CRAP. The rule even says 'if not touched by an opposing teammate.' He touched it to make it out of bounds. Wtf?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Out of bounds kickoff ruling
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
Have fun with futbol then, because this is a correct call and is the same in NCAA. The player is out of bounds when he touches it, making it a loose ball out of bounds. In order for this to not be a foul in either code, a receiving team player must touch the ball before it goes out of bounds.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 02:23:49 AM »
This is the same situation if a fumble is loose near a sideline and a player whose foot touches the sideline touches the ball. The ball becomes dead out of bounds.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 11:51:58 PM »
If only more players knew the rules.  I see this a number of times in the year where we have a kick that is rolling near the sideline and all the receiver needs to do is step out of bounds and then touch the ball to get a  ^flag for a kick out of bounds.  But no, they end up picking the ball up and then immediately getting tackled.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
In 2000, the NFHS tweaked rule 6-1-8 to read that free kicks going OOB are a foul if untouched by the receiving team. This replaced the prior rule that stated "...if not LAST touched by the receiving team. A free kick to the middle of the field with several muffs was then a foul if K was last to touch. As with any rule change, came a lobster crate of case plays. One such was to state that if the kick had yet to break the sideline plane and was touched by OOB R, R caused the ball to be OOB and would take the ball there. An easy call for officials, as in 5 man, there would be two on each sideline. Seems to make more sense.

Welcome, UncleHants, to our forum. I hope you'll find it both enjoyable and informative.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:42:57 AM by Ralph Damren »