Author Topic: 2019 Rules Changes  (Read 3633 times)

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
2019 Rules Changes
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/targeting-protocols-approved-football

Targeting protocols approved for football

Playing Rules Oversight Panel approves instant replay changes and instituting a progressive penalty
April 23, 2019 10:45am | By Greg Johnson

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel during a conference call Monday approved two adjustments to targeting rules in an effort to strengthen one of football’s most important calls.

Beginning in the fall in games using video review, instant replay officials will be directed to examine all aspects of the play and confirm the targeting foul when all elements of targeting are present. If any element of targeting cannot be confirmed, the replay official will overturn the targeting foul. There will not be an option for letting the call on the field “stand” during a targeting review — it must either be confirmed or overturned.

Games using the halftime video review procedure will continue to use the current process.

The panel also approved instituting a progressive penalty for targeting. Players who commit three targeting fouls in the same season are subject to a one-game suspension.

Blind-side blocks

The panel approved a new rule relevant to blind-side blocking techniques. Players will not be allowed to deliver a blind-side block by attacking an opponent with forcible contact. It will be a personal foul with a 15-yard penalty. If the block also includes the elements of targeting, it will be a blind-side block with targeting.

Kickoffs

The panel approved a rules change to eliminate the two-man wedge formation on all kickoffs.

Overtime

Panel members approved a tweak to the overtime rules. If a game reaches a fifth overtime, teams will run alternating two-point plays, instead of starting another drive at the opponent’s 25-yard line. This rules change was made to limit the number of plays from scrimmage and to bring the game to a conclusion.

Additionally, there will be a two-minute rest period after the second and fourth overtimes. The rules for the first four overtimes remain unchanged.

Media Contact
Chris
Radford

Associate Director, External Affairs
NCAA

cradford@ncaa.org
(317) 917-6172

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: 2019 Rules Changes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
Well, that is step 2.  Next step - actual rule language changes.  Stay tuned.

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »
Not that 5-OT games happen often, but I'm curious to see if the rules keep giving teams timeouts in each mini-period. If each mini-period consists of two downs and two timeouts, that's gonna get real old real fast.

BTW: notice how more and more sources are reverting to the unofficial term "overtime" - it seems like at this point the rulebook is the only source that continues to call them "extra periods." See, I myself just used "OT," just above.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 04:21:59 PM »
I just realized that they did NOT go forward with letting Team B have the ball at the B-25 after a recovery of a kickoff inside the B-20.  Good. We didn't need to muck up that rule.

Just gotta be aware of two-man wedges on free kicks.

Robert

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 03:57:15 PM »
Not that 5-OT games happen often, but I'm curious to see if the rules keep giving teams timeouts in each mini-period. If each mini-period consists of two downs and two timeouts, that's gonna get real old real fast.

BTW: notice how more and more sources are reverting to the unofficial term "overtime" - it seems like at this point the rulebook is the only source that continues to call them "extra periods." See, I myself just used "OT," just above.

I guess you are assuming Team B will call timeout once they see how Team A lines up?  Or Team A will call timeout if they see the D and think they need to change plays?  Otherwise, why would there be a timeout?  There is only 1 play being run by each team.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:32:04 PM »
Regarding a Extra Periods, it will be highly unusual, if not rare, to get to a 5th Extra Period.  But, should it happen, the new rule appears to treat the downs in these periods as “try” downs.  No heartburn, here, if that is what they truly want.  But, there are differences between regular scrimmage downs and try downs.  I’m probably making an Everest out of a Devil’s Tower, but, you know me - that’s what I do.  The one thing that immediately comes to mind is DPI.  On a regular scrimmage down inside the B-17 (which the B-3 would be - duh), DPI in the end zone would place the ball at the B-2.  On a try from the B-3, DPI in the end zone would place the ball at the B-1 1/2 (half distance).  Sure, only 1/2 yard difference.  But, we’d need to be correct, whichever way it is supposed to be.
I have a strong degree of confidence that, indeed, they intend for these downs (not “plays,” BTW) to be governed by try rules.  But, it would be nice to get 100% concurrence from Shaw or Redding.
First one to get an audience with either, please pose the question, and report back. ;)

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »
While I too would prefer the rule used the term down rather than play, it says “a two-point try from the three-yard line“. I don’t know why we wouldn’t treat this like any other try. The release put out by CFO about 6 weeks ago also used the term “try” when discussing the rule changes.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »
While I too would prefer the rule used the term down rather than play, it says “a two-point try from the three-yard line“. I don’t know why we wouldn’t treat this like any other try. The release put out by CFO about 6 weeks ago also used the term “try” when discussing the rule changes.
I agree with this. And in 10 years of college officiating I haven't had 5 OT periods COMBINED in my games. I'm not worried about it.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 09:41:42 AM »

I know Redding, and he is a good guy.  Never met Shaw, but I’m sure he is, too.  But neither have the skill of John Adams with respect to writing actual rule language.  Adams would have used “down” and not “play.”  And I believe he would not have used the expression, “two-point try.”  Instead, I believe he would have written something like, ‘each team will have one scrimmage down that will be played in accordance with rule 8-3 (the Try).  Exception: A field goal will have no scoring value.’  With that, if coaches can’t figure out that they need to attempt to score a touchdown (for two points), maybe they shouldn’t be involved with football.
And Adams would have thoroughly vetted the rule book and edited it accordingly for this rule.  For example, 8-3 refers to a try as occurring after a touchdown.  Well, now, that won’t always be true (unless they decide to assign a unique name to these downs that will occur after the 4th Extra Period).  He’d fix that.
I know Redding has tried to write rules with more ‘layman’ language.  That’s why we have “hash marks” instead of the previous “inbounds lines.”  But I think that is a mistake.  Dumbing down the rule language is not making the game better, and it can create more confusion for those of us that actually study, and need to know, the rules. 
One man’s opinion.

Robert

Offline Rostrom

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 10:52:10 AM »
I know Redding, and he is a good guy.  Never met Shaw, but I’m sure he is, too.  But neither have the skill of John Adams with respect to writing actual rule language.  Adams would have used “down” and not “play.”  And I believe he would not have used the expression, “two-point try.”  Instead, I believe he would have written something like, ‘each team will have one scrimmage down that will be played in accordance with rule 8-3 (the Try).  Exception: A field goal will have no scoring value.’  With that, if coaches can’t figure out that they need to attempt to score a touchdown (for two points), maybe they shouldn’t be involved with football.
And Adams would have thoroughly vetted the rule book and edited it accordingly for this rule.  For example, 8-3 refers to a try as occurring after a touchdown.  Well, now, that won’t always be true (unless they decide to assign a unique name to these downs that will occur after the 4th Extra Period).  He’d fix that.
I know Redding has tried to write rules with more ‘layman’ language.  That’s why we have “hash marks” instead of the previous “inbounds lines.”  But I think that is a mistake.  Dumbing down the rule language is not making the game better, and it can create more confusion for those of us that actually study, and need to know, the rules.

Excellent comment  yEs: