Author Topic: Hurdling  (Read 4792 times)

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Hurdling
« on: November 02, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
Gents,

Had a play last week that I think we got right but want some opinions.  On an extra point a defender jumped over the line although it was through the gap so we passed on the call.  Do you agree with that?

But what if we would of jumped directly over the guard?  If offensive lineman stands up and defender tries to jump over him by definition we would have a flag.  What if lineman has his hand on the ground and defender jumps over him then we should pass?

Am I getting to technical?

I need some help on this one.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
Re: Hurdling
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:11:20 AM »
Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet. So if it is a lineman with his hand on the ground, it does not meet the definition of hurdling. If it is the center that gets jumped (hurdling), it would be a foul for hurdling if he has his hands on the ball. If the lineman, including the center has removed his hand from the ground when the jumping happens, then it would be hurdling. Timing of the act matters.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
BG5 - this one is a safety issue to me.  Coaches need to teach their players to stop doing this, and it's especially obvious on PAT or FG attempts.  If B attempts to hurdle, we flag it.  If questioned, our response is "Coach, looked to me like that guard's hand was off the ground when your kid hurdled him.  We don't want anybody getting kicked in the head out here."

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
The biggest key on these kinds of plays where players are jumping over linemen is whether or not the jumper is leading with his knee(s)/foot (feet). Players will often jump head first over the line with arms outstretched in an attempt to block the kick. This is not hurdling, whether or not the lineman is touching the ground. At least one knee/foot must be foremost (i.e., out in front of the jumper's body) over an opponent. Picture how a hurdler jumps over a hurdle vs. how a runner dives for the pylon.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »
BG5 - this one is a safety issue to me.  Coaches need to teach their players to stop doing this, and it's especially obvious on PAT or FG attempts.  If B attempts to hurdle, we flag it.  If questioned, our response is "Coach, looked to me like that guard's hand was off the ground when your kid hurdled him.  We don't want anybody getting kicked in the head out here."
It's not just a safety issue for the opponent who could get kicked. It's a safety issue for the hurdler. He could end up getting flipped and landing on his head. It's a great athletic move if executed successfully, but there are too many risks with doing it.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »
Remember that they must lead with feet or knees.

This is not hurdling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIYr_XgUj0

This is hurdling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOGDEV3b94
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 07:04:40 AM »
I had an official make this call during a late 4th-quarter FG attempt (missed).  The penalty yardage wasn't enough for a first down, but allowed the kicker to make his second attempt, which was the difference in the game.

After seeing the play on both press box and end zone video, it was obvious that the "hurdler" had gone through the gap, and the foul shouldn't have been called.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 08:07:03 AM »
LAST YEAR....

Coach B of Patriot Nation had a D back that was a champion high-hurdler. The loyal opponents were trying a field goal. The high-hurdler hurdled the snapper and blocked the kick. We of the Nation cheered.  pHiNzuP pHiNzuP pHiNzuP
THIS YEAR....

The NFL outlawed it as it was considered a dangerous act.

If the NFL considers it a dangerous act, we probably should ,too.

^flag ^flag ^flag ^flag ^flag ^flag ^flag (7-man crew)

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »
Hurdling -
When in question; It is a foul!
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »
IMHO, the definition of our hurdling (2-22) is to separate "jumping over" an opponent, who only has his hind paws touching our planet,  from "diving over" by a runner in a short-yardage/goal line situation. Note that it's definition suggests that jump & hurdle are interchangeable.

After the above-mentioned Patriot game, I received at least a halve dozen calls from local coaches asking if they could do that ,too. My response was :

"NO!!!"

:sTiR:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:08:04 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
Do you ever wonder sometimes, whether those having problems understanding a definitive "NO" are having trouble grasping either the N or the O, or that it really matters?