Author Topic: Quarterback Under Center  (Read 12946 times)

Quarterback Under Center
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
In HS rules...Can the QB pull out after he puts his hands under center or is it a procedure penalty?

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
Re: Quarterback Under Center
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »
There is nothing in the NFHS code that prevents the QB from shifting after he's had his hands under center.  He better do it carefully, though;  the shift better not simulate the snap or 7-1-7a would apply and (s)he would be guilty of a false start.

LarryW60

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
He needs to realize when he does it that he is performing a shift.  All the rules applicable to shifts will apply.  He can't dive his hands back under center and immediately take the snap because he needs to be set for one second.  I'm seeing more of this at the Varsity level...  players immediately going into their stance and the QB getting the ball almost as soon as he gets his hands under center.  I've warned two different teams on my sideline about that already this season.

Harry

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:47:15 AM »
There's no such thing as a "procedure penalty" in high school football.  I hear "Illegal Procedure" way too much from people that should know better.

Eithe rway, the action as you described it is fine.  Now, if the QB pulls out from under center as if he received a snap, that's a false start.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:09:57 PM »
There's no such thing as a "procedure penalty" in high school football.  I hear "Illegal Procedure" way too much from people that should know better.

True, but let's be fair, there used to be, just like there used to be "offsides".  The fouls still exist, they just have new names.

jabb000

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
Hey AB - You are showing your age now. J/K

ppaltice

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »
Illegal Procedure was removed in 2005.  It isn't exactly an archaic terminology.

Other than that, I agree with the others, if it isn't a false start, the QB can legally shift from under center.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:00:28 PM »

So, what exactly is the violation for a free kick OOB?  The signal chart shows Signal 19 as False Start/Illegal Formation, neither of which fits this foul.

It's my opinion that "Illegal Procedure" perfectly describes this.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »
So, what exactly is the violation for a free kick OOB?  The signal chart shows Signal 19 as False Start/Illegal Formation, neither of which fits this foul.

It's my opinion that "Illegal Procedure" perfectly describes this.

The foul is exactly what you called it: Free Kick OOB

Many things are an "illegal procedure", that is procedures done illegally that involve no contact with an opponent - illegal shift, illegal motion, failure to wear proper equipment, coaches in the sideline area just to name a few.

But the NFHS saw fit to remove the words "Illegal Procedure" from the rule book a few years back.

LarryW60

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:09:39 AM »
Coaches in the sideline area are a "sideline warning" (Signal 15) for the first offense and "sideline interference" (Signal 29) for subsequent offenses.  Signal 19 isn't used for those.

LarryW60

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:13:26 AM »
I'm seeing more of this at the Varsity level...  players immediately going into their stance and the QB getting the ball almost as soon as he gets his hands under center.  I've warned two different teams on my sideline about that already this season.
Last night during a Varsity game, we ended up flagging one team four times (two times on consecutive downs) for illegal shifts because the QB would send a player in motion and THEN go under center.  Each time the White Hat would explain to the QB what he was doing wrong.  Bad habits are hard to break if they're not caught and curtailed during August practices.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:17:54 AM by Fadamor »

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 12:12:52 PM »
FWIW, instead of a shift, this could also be legal motion by the QB - the team is set, the QB backs out in a manner that isn't a false start, and while he's still moving backward the ball is snapped. (I've seen it this year; not certain if it was intentional or not...)

LarryW60

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
Hmmm if he's the only one in motion and he's not moving forward, wouldn't he just be a back in motion?