Author Topic: IW  (Read 27036 times)

LarryW60

Re: IW
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 09:25:19 AM »
Keep telling new officials to keep the whistle out of their mouths. Those that a real hard headed get a senior official that stays on top of them during color games and scrimmages. I walked up to one young official one afternoon and explained right after he had been knocked off his feet on a run into the sideline ..... "The next time you have your whistle in your mouth and forget to get behind the runner instead of in the middle of his flight path ...... you may be picking up teeth instead of equipment off the ground." I guess the thought of losing teeth was enough ..... he no longer plays basketball Ref on a football field.
Bah! An official has just as much chance of losing teeth during a game whether the whistle is in the mouth or out.  5 years of officiating the sidelines (and getting knoked down from time to time) and I still have all my original teeth. (Knock on wood).

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 05:47:23 PM »
Bah! An official has just as much chance of losing teeth during a game whether the whistle is in the mouth or out.  5 years of officiating the sidelines (and getting knoked down from time to time) and I still have all my original teeth. (Knock on wood).

If you still have your teeth, after 20 more years, and still haven't learned to keep your whistle out of your mouth, you may have something worth thinking about.

jjseikel

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 06:01:16 PM »
An official has just as much chance of losing teeth during a game whether the whistle is in the mouth or out.
Poppycock! 
5 years of officiating the sidelines (and getting knoked down from time to time) and I still have all my original teeth. (Knock on wood).
10 years on the sideline and yet to be knocked down. Maybe some adjustments in mechanics are in order.

Grant - AR

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 08:55:40 PM »
10 years on the sideline and yet to be knocked down.

You just jinxed yourself.  ;D

Roscoe

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 04:23:16 AM »
Ah, the dreaded IW.  If an official tells you he hasn't had one, he either hasn't worked many games or he's lying to you.  :)

I had my first one ever this year. Took 3 years. Thankfully the ball was dead. Team didn't have enough men on the line and I decided that would be a great time to kill it before the snap.

Roscoe

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 04:26:05 AM »
We have one Umpire who claims he doesn't even carry a whistle onto the field. Says no way to have an IW if you don't have a whistle.

We have an umpire who absolutely loves to bow his whistle every play. As a wing official, it's very frustrating. Especially when the white hat "likes him" and doesn't address the issue.

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »
Try officiating a game at a school for the deaf,  quite a deal

Reff54

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »
We had one Friday night.....not myself...but it's a play we discussed with new guys in Summer training class....  Qb in shotgun....turns and throws  backward pass....except he throws it  to the ground so it skips to the back who will then throw it downfield.  Unfortunately...2nd year LJ  blows it dead when it hits the ground....  Tough way to learn just because the pass is backward....it doesn't have to be caught in the air...to be a legal backward pass....

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »
Did you ask the coach about any unusual plays during the pregame conference?  Did he mention this one?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
I had my first one ever this year. Took 3 years. Thankfully the ball was dead. Team didn't have enough men on the line and I decided that would be a great time to kill it before the snap.

Must have been something in the air -- my LJ did the exact same thing in a middle school game last Tuesday!

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
 Fun is officiating Semi Pro under NFL rules after a season of High School. First running back that goes down ... Untouched?    I have eaten many a whistle.  You cannot imagine how many IW's we have in the first weeks.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »
Fun is officiating Semi Pro under NFL rules after a season of High School. First running back that goes down ... Untouched?    I have eaten many a whistle.  You cannot imagine how many IW's we have in the first weeks.

Yeah, that's a tough one.  We used to have an "All-Star" game for Division 2, 3 and NAIA/juco kids in the area and the rules included that (along with several other changes).  Man, that was a tough game to work.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »

Or the D lineman jumping into the neutral zone and getting back often drew a flag & whistle.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

zebra2955

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »
Football Fundamentals III
1 A game officials whistle seldom kills the ball. It is already dead by rule

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 04:00:18 PM »
We only do Semi Pro Games so that I can learn new four letter words.......

Ernest Givens owns a team in Bradenton Florida. Walking my sideline, every other word something more creative. "Got a problem with my language Ref?" "I could care less how you talk to your players, just don't address me that way." walks by a few minutes later "What do you think about my Quarterback?" "Coach, I'm fifty years old, I can throw better than your Quarterback." Minutes later "Got any eligibility left ?" "Said I can out throw him, I can't out run him."

Givens was a wide receiver for Arizona Cardinals for years.