Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas
Texas Topics / Re: Out of Chapter Requests from Playoff Teams
« Last post by dammitbobby on Yesterday at 01:58:31 PM »
You're not wrong.  But I do think we (TASO) has a mechanism to provide influence here.  Every year we hear 'TASO can't do anything' but here we are starting with a policy next year that a crew can't work a semi then a championship (or something to that effect), and one already in place that you can't work two championship games in the same season. That flies directly in the face of the UIL/coach mentality that they get to pick whomever they want, when they want - TASO has directly impacted the pool of officials available to call a particular game, and I don't recall hearing anyone throw a fit about it.

I have heard a couple whispers from different folks that this is no more - that TASO has removed the up-and-coming crew restriction policy as a gesture of goodwill towards coaches.

Anybody hearing the same, or otherwise?
Non-Officiating Discussion / What to do/watch/read after football.....
« Last post by Ralph Damren on Yesterday at 12:34:22 PM »
With the football season over, if you are looking for an inspiring read ,may I suggest : Lost on a Mountain in Maine. A very true story of a 12 year old boy lost for 9 days on Maine's highest mountain, Katahdin, back in 1939. A search party, the largest ever assembled in Maine, consisted of: Gov. Barrows activated the National Guard and sent all to the area ,to join State Police and forest Rangers. A crack unit  of New York State Troopers with bloodhounds. Two local paper mills opened their doors and sent 1,000+ workers to the search.

ON DAY 7 : The worn out searchers announced that it was no longer rescue but retrieval as "no lad that young could last that long.

PROBLEM : The search parameters were set inside of where an estimated 12 year old could have wandered. They misjudged as 12 year Donn Fendler wasn't wandering. He was on a mission to survive and find civiliztion and used his Boy Scout instincts. As the search began, Donn was already beyond their parameters.

ON DAY 9: Battered, bruised,bitten, scared, scraped, scratched BUT VERY ALIVE ,Donn Fendler found civiliztion in the form of a hunting camp some 30 miles beyond the search party's parameter.

THEREAFTER: Maine's governor ordered a parade in Donn's honor. This had became a national story and the nation rejoyced. FDR invited Donn to the White House where he was presented with The Navy Metal of Valor.

Personally, I have met Don Fendler a couple of times in his later years. I was Alumni Association President of the prep school that Donn had attended and presented him with an award. He spent many of his years after retirement addressing students with a "NEVER GIVE UP" speech. He left school early join WW II as an ARMY RANGER. A movie entitled :"Lost on a Mountain in Maine" is scheduiled to be released this summer. I'll be watching.
                                                  Thank you for taking the time to read this,
                                                                                   Ralph
National Federation Discussion / Re: The new rule will........
« Last post by AlUpstateNY on Yesterday at 10:35:04 AM »

Which is another reason that I like the "keep it simple" mantra.  Simply keep all fouls that occur prior to the ball becoming live as DB fouls. Simply enforce the penalty at the offended teams option and move on.  No replays, re-kicks, or other things to sort out.  Again, I believe that if it's not broken it doesn't need to be "fixed".  For the very few times a year that the foul on free kicks actually occurs IMHO it's not worth even discussing.

"Keep it simple", what a novel concept.
« Last post by NVFOA_Ump on Yesterday at 10:13:37 AM »
Which would be another change.  Tack on now is at the option of the offended team, so not an automatic tack on.  We don't have automatic tack on now which is why there could be more re-kicks.

Which is another reason that I like the "keep it simple" mantra.  Simply keep all fouls that occur prior to the ball becoming live as DB fouls. Simply enforce the penalty at the offended teams option and move on.  No replays, re-kicks, or other things to sort out.  Again, I believe that if it's not broken it doesn't need to be "fixed".  For the very few times a year that the foul on free kicks actually occurs IMHO it's not worth even discussing.
« Last post by lawdog on Yesterday at 08:34:34 AM »
ElvisLives, If you change the rule on illegal formation and encroachment to live-ball fouls it would be added to the kick just like the other fouls on kicking team.

Which would be another change.  Tack on now is at the option of the offended team, so not an automatic tack on.  We don't have automatic tack on now which is why there could be more re-kicks.
« Last post by lawdog on Yesterday at 08:28:27 AM »
The repair crew (Editorial Committee) worked diligently on that

Same ones that wrote it wrong to start with...
« Last post by Ralph Damren on Yesterday at 07:24:20 AM »
I'd tend to focus on fixing things that really need to be fixed?  Rule 10 anyone?
The repair crew (Editorial Committee) worked diligently on that and the finished product will be unvailed (published) when the 2024 Rules Book arrives. I'll keep my eyes/ears open and pass on to your guys if I hear/see anything. yEs:
« Last post by NVFOA_Ump on February 20, 2024, 11:16:20 AM »
I'd tend to focus on fixing things that really need to be fixed?  Rule 10 anyone?
« Last post by Ralph Damren on February 20, 2024, 07:58:15 AM »
While in Maine we have 78 schools with football, 29 are of the 8-man variety. A high pct. of free kicks in 8-man seem to be squib/onside variety. A vet coach told me that is the safest route then to kick to a good broken field runner.  Encroachment is more prevalent there and the BJ is reminded to be ready. not having 4 (3 in 8-man) on each side of the kicker is also considered encroachment per 2-8 and can't occur until the ball is kicked and remember R can also encroach on a free kick. Only the kicker can be beyond 5 yards behind K's restraining line after RFP and that, like a false start, is a dead ball foul upon occurance.

Confused, anyone  ??? ???     :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10