Author Topic: Relocating to Denton  (Read 4784 times)

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
Relocating to Denton
« on: March 10, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
It looks like I will be relocating to Denton in July after spending most of my officiating career in Tyler.  Saying good-bye to my crew has been horrible--some of these guys have been with me for as much as 17 years--but time marches on!  Would Dallas or Ft. Worth be a better for games in the north DFW area?  I have 20 years of experience and have worked every position...I've been a crew chief for most of the past 8 years and have about 4 years as white hat on a JuCo crew.  Would it be likely that I could get any games by coming in so late?

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
Re: Relocating to Denton
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
It looks like I will be relocating to Denton in July after spending most of my officiating career in Tyler.  Saying good-bye to my crew has been horrible--some of these guys have been with me for as much as 17 years--but time marches on!  Would Dallas or Ft. Worth be a better for games in the north DFW area?  I have 20 years of experience and have worked every position...I've been a crew chief for most of the past 8 years and have about 4 years as white hat on a JuCo crew.  Would it be likely that I could get any games by coming in so late?
  Dallas, of course, but then again I am biased.  PM if you want to talk about Dallas in detail.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
Definitely Dallas in my opinion as well.  Denton schools are covered by Dallas currently as well :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:19:09 AM by bctgp »

Offline zebraboy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »
FWFO will welcome you with open arms as well. We cover just about every district surrounding Denton, so plenty of work logistically around you. Denton ISD moved over DFO last year after district realignment, joining either chapter is win win for you.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »
Either chapter would be fine, objectively speaking. DFOA works 3 of the Denton high schools' varsity and subvarsity and FWFO works the other school and, I guess, their SV. DFOA has a Denton area assigner for SV. As far as varsity games, there are some options in DFOA. First, you probably WILL get on the field -- especially if you're wiling to work multiple positions. Second, there is a possibility of finding a crew (already assembled) if someone moves, retires, gets hurt, etc. In previous years, there have been at least 3-5 guys on crews that for whatever reason move on prior to the season starting. Finally, though DFOA is going to a draft for all games this year, there will be games assigned by the assignment committee -- 4A down and Six man games.

I'd bet in Fort Worth you'd have similar game prospects. FWFO I believe has a satellite meeting location in or near Denton while DFOA has all their meetings at one site in North Dallas. There isn't a specific meeting requirement for DFOA though those working varsity games are generally expected to make the 3 or 4 August meetings. Others will have already taken place by the time you get there and there are only 2-3 meetings once the season starts.

Call both secretaries and see which one you like better.

Offline getnbetter

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »
Dallas will draft ALL games this year including 4A and below.  Only 6 man games will be assigned.  We will also be going to 7 man crews.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »
Dallas will draft ALL games this year including 4A and below.  Only 6 man games will be assigned.  We will also be going to 7 man crews.

All 7 man crews?  Do coaches get to decide if they want 7 or 5?  Does Dallas have the numbers to support it? 

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
All 7 man crews?  Do coaches get to decide if they want 7 or 5?  Does Dallas have the numbers to support it?
  Yes, coaches get to decide at draft.  All crews are formed as 7 Man.  If a school picks a crew as 5 (which we expect for all DISD games), the 2 deep flanks will be the "automatic fill in" if one of the core 5 has to miss a game for business, family, injury -- whatever causes someone to miss.  So, it cuts down on "pool" fill ins.    My crew is hoping for 50% of our games to be 7 Man.