Author Topic: USC during live action  (Read 3486 times)

Offline clintonrebel

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
USC during live action
« on: August 23, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »
Live ball....runner headed to the end zone and at the 10 yard line he turns and taunts the defender.  Then he scores.  The taunting is flagged during the play. 

Unsportsmanlike Conduct.    What are the enforcement options for the defense under NFHS?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: USC during live action
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »
Under NFHS, the touchdown counts.  The live ball UNS is penalized like a dead ball foul, from the succeeding spot.  Since it was a scoring play, B can take it on the try or on the kickoff.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »
Welcome, Clintonrebel, to our forum. May you find it both enjoyable and informational. The ole' schoolboy saying of "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me" applies here. The act alone had no baring on the play so it becomes a non-contact-foul treated as a dead ball foul for enforcement purposes. Other codes differ.

Hope this helps.

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »
Now the defender late hits the runner after he scores,  what now?
Also, what if either of these fouls we at 1:00 left in the game, any time options to coaches?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:48:26 PM by Stinterp »

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
Also, what if either of these fouls we at 1:00 left in the game, any time options to coaches?

DB PF. 10-2-5b says the distance penalties for the UC and DB PF will offset since the PF took place prior to the UC administration. This was a scoring play, so the clock is not on the RFP. No timing options.

An interesting question is, if this wasn't a scoring play and the clock were to start on the RFP, would either coach have options then? I'd say yes. Both teams still have to accept the penalties, but the distance penalties offset. It's not like a double foul where neither team accepts the penalty. 10-2-5b says the distance penalties offset, not that the "penalties cancel" as with double fouls. I'm seeing this as being similar to both teams "accepting the penalty, but declining the yardage."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:16:25 PM by VA Official »

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
If the defender fouls, then the 15 yard dead ball penalties would offset each other.
For a foul with 1 minute left, the coach should have no time options as the try is an un-timed down, and the clock would not start on the ensuing kickoff until it was touched, other than first touching by K.

Offline clintonrebel

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »
Thanks all.  I was sure we got it right, but of course a good butt chewing from a coach will make you replay things in your head over the weekend.  Live ball foul administered as a dead ball foul.   Not the easiest penalty administration to find in the rule book. 

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
Thanks all.  I was sure we got it right, but of course a good butt chewing from a coach will make you replay things in your head over the weekend.  Live ball foul administered as a dead ball foul.   Not the easiest penalty administration to find in the rule book. 

I don't have a lot of patience for a coach who is yelling at me because HE doesn't know the rules.    ^flag

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
I don't have a lot of patience for a coach who is yelling at me because HE doesn't know the rules.    ^flag
I believe NCAA would treat this as a spot foul and negate the TD.

Per chance the coach thinks he's coaching Notre Dame :o ??? ::) :puke:

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »

You are correct. Still no excuse not to know the right rules.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »

Per chance the coach thinks he's coaching Notre Dame :o ??? ::)

It's all in the delivery Ralph.  A relatively calm, or even slightly excited question or statement like "Hey Ref, that TD shouldn't count"  gets a relatively calm explanation of the rule and the reason for our enforcement.  However, a "good butt chewing" about QBs being outside the tackle box, passes being uncatchable, defensive linemen jumping into the NZ and "getting back" before the snap, or DPI resulting in an automatic first down usually result in  ^flag