Author Topic: How to become a better wing official  (Read 3213 times)

Offline LJ1977

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
How to become a better wing official
« on: March 11, 2018, 06:25:40 AM »
Looking to improve my officiate this as a wing. Can anyone give me some tips how to improve
Thanks

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
Re: How to become a better wing official
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »
Go to clinics.  You will meet some of the best and brightest minds in the business.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
As LJ said, no substitute for going to clinics.  Listen, try the things they present/suggest.  When you get conflicting or significantly differing opinions/suggestions, try everything and use what works best for you, or what you know your coordinator, or potential coordinator, prefers.  An example is signaling First Down to the R.  Some coordinators may be OK with a ‘big’ or flamboyant signal (like the ‘scorpion’s tail’ point over the head), whereas, I know at least one Power 5 coordinator that specifically does not want flashy first down signals - just an easy and simple point with the hand at the chest.

I highly recommend using a shuffle and/or crossover step for your sideline movement, keeping your body ‘open’ to the play (chest parallel to the sideline) as long as possible.  Walking along the sideline, looking over the shoulder onto the field really looks lazy. (Watch NFL LJ Tim Podraza from San Diego; about the best example of staying open to the play.)

Always know where is the line-to-gain, and be really good at getting the clock stopped when there is a new first down.  And, be the crew-saver with the clock.  As often as possible, check the clock when the ball becomes dead, and step in when the clock needs to be re-set.

Those are highly noticeable things that coordinators can see.

Robert

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:46:15 AM »
Not knowing (or remembering) your current level here are some things I've seen that easily need improvement.

Stay behind the ball carrier on running plays. It looks really odd if you move ahead of him and then have to come back when the ball becomes dead. Stay level or behind, even if the run is through the middle or to the other side.

Square off forward progress every time. It simply looks so much more professional and sells the call better. NFL wings are a great example on this (probably FBS wings, too).

Be alert when the ball carrier comes toward you and retreat early into the backfield. Never get run over if you can avoid it.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »
Excellent advise so far.

The best wing officials are the ones who can focus and concentrate every play for the entire game.  Work on being 100% on LOS fouls (FST, DOF, ILF, etc).  Usually we miss these simply by a lack of focus and concentration.

Work on your communication skills.  You're the main conduit for coach's complaints and also informing the coach of what's going on.  The better you can do this, the smoother your day will be.

Also, be really good with subs.  Always get people coming off of your sideline.  Make your R look good with this.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:07:55 PM by bossman72 »

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
As Kalle stated, we do not know what level you are currently working at but I have one tip for newer officials on the wing. Don't get rabbit ears! Meaning try as best you can to tune out the coaches whining and begging for a call. Another is to keep the sideline clear and take the full 6' given to you by rule. Start early with the coaches on staying back and don't wait till the end of the game when it could be crucial.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:36 AM »
Whenever possible, ignore, the first emotional comment, or if it's exceptionally dumb respond with "The look" (the one your mother taught you that means STOP-DON'T DO THAT AGAIN).  Always be nice, until it's time not to be nice.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »
Another is to keep the sideline clear and take the full 6' given to you by rule. Start early with the coaches on staying back and don't wait till the end of the game when it could be crucial.

I heard an NFL official talking about this a few years ago and he gave an example that I hadn't thought of at the time.  Of course, these numbers won't translate to 99.99% of us, but I got the point.  He used an example of a 40 year old in his rookie season in the NFL.  In your 3rd game of the year, you fail to get the coaches back.  You run into one of them and blow out your knee so you can never work again.  The NFL will pay you for all the games you would have worked that year and the next year (~$200,000).  But, you won't get to work the next 20 years (~$4,000,000).  So, because you failed to do your job and keep the coaches back, you cost yourself $4,000,000. 

Like I said, that doesn't translate to those of us working high school or lower level college, but he made a good point.  If nothing else, I can't imagine not being able to work football because I ran into a coach and blew out my knee...without thinking about any money I wouldn't be able to make because of that. 

Offline LJ1977

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »
Thank you for the great advice. I work D2 and D3. Second year

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:39 PM »
At that level, I would suggest as much film study as possible. Not only film of your game but watch other wing officials and see how they do things.

Cross field mechanics, goal line and tight sideline plays are especially good to watch.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
Work the up the middle positions, mainly R and U, in subvarsity games. You'll find out what they need first hand from wing officials.

It is a little like golf -- yes, you can go out to the driving range, hit hundreds of balls, and ingrain bad habits in your swing as the golf ball direction doesn't always tell you everything. Or you can go get video lessons, see what you're doing wrong, and correct them with the assistance of a pro. It isn't a direct analogy, but it still works: as an R, you can see what a good (or bad) wing official looks like from that perspective. Then, you can make adjustments.