Author Topic: You make the call.....in our code...  (Read 9820 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: You make the call.....in our code...
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
That's great in English class.  It's not true in Football Rules class.

Sorry about the typo in this statement. I meant for it to read, " to catch a ball is to possess a ball, and to possess a ball (in flight, of course) is to catch it.

I also understand the "lights out" argument, and agree wholeheartedly with the concept in the majority of instances when it applies. I just don't think it applies in the philosophy of a catch. Part of the requirement of maintaining possession, or control, implies some sort of continuing effort after establishing possession. Take an airborne player for example. Whether at the 50 or in the EZ, while that player may exert control over the football before he hits the ground, that control must "survive the ground," or else we will call it incomplete. (At least I think all are in agreement with this.) The problem with this is that, according to the "lights out" philosophy, when this happened in the ez,the ball was dead the instant the player touched the ground inbounds. Therefore, we should rule a touchdown. I disagree with that logic. I believe the old saying, "the ground cannot cause a fumble, but it can cause an incomplete pass" would trump the "lights out" philosophy at that point. If that is true, then the "lights out" can't be applied to EVERY situation in the ez. Long story short - the player must maintain possession to make the catch, even in the ez.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:55:26 AM by CalhounLJ »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
Absolutely agree ("the player must maintain possession to make the catch, even in the ez") but for how long?  Sorry, but if the player (airborne or not) establishes possession (of a live ball in flight) and first touches the ground in-bounds, while maintaining that possession IT IS A CATCH.

If those things ALL happen in the EZ, it's a TD and the lights shut off.  If those same things happen in the field, the lights stay on and all sorts of things can effect what happens next.

If there is ANY question about possession being consistent (maintained) all bets are off, and the pass is incomplete, but when a player stumbles, falls AFTER completing the required sequence in the EZ, or beyond the sideline causing possession to be interrupted, the interruption happened to a DEAD ball.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 01:14:50 PM »
The official FED interpretation is:  "It's up to you..."

Bossman has it right.  All this clinical analysis and dialog is "nice but academic".  The bottom line is the covering official has to make that split-second decision.  Call what you see and trust your instincts.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »
Bossman has it right.  All this clinical analysis and dialog is "nice but academic".  The bottom line is the covering official has to make that split-second decision.  Call what you see and trust your instincts.

Let's hope it stays that way.  Two of the best rules in NFHS, which are clear & straight forward are:

1-1-9: "The game officials shall have the authority to make decisions for infractions of the rules.  The use of any replay or television monitoring equipment by the game officials in making any decision relating to the rules is prohibited."

1-1-11: "Protests of NFHS rules are not recognized."

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
You make the call.....in our code...
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
IMO, football took a turn for the worse when college and above got away from the last sentence in 1-1-9. Replay has ruined the game. And some negative effects have filtered down to the high school level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk