Author Topic: Chop Block  (Read 5097 times)

Offline kid50

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
    • Abilene TASO
Chop Block
« on: August 27, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »
Chop block interpretations:

1. Center (A51) and right guard (A58) block high on noseguard (B70).  After noseguard is stood up, A51 disengages briefly and then cuts B70 (below thigh) while he is still engaged high with A58.

2. Center (A51) and right guard (A58) block high on noseguard (B70).  After noseguard is stood up, A51 disengages and immediately cuts B70 (below thigh) while he is still engaged high with A58.

3. Center (A51) and right guard (A58) block high on noseguard (B70).  After noseguard is stood up, A51, while maintaining contact, slides below B70's thigh while he is still engeaged high with A58.

I have CB in all three cases.  However, other officials cite "initial contact" as seen with block in back and below waist.  Following this, they would say #3 is not CB as initial contact was above thigh.  I don't see "initial contact" language in CB rules and dont' think this plays into this foul.  What says you?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:37:07 PM by kid50 »

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Re: Chop Block
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
Chop block in all three.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Chop Block
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:49:22 AM »
1 & 2 are without question chop blocks.  Blocker A51 made a clear decision to block low when a teammate had the defender engaged. No question those are chop block fouls.

3 IMO is a 50/50 "must see" call.  We have to make the judgment call on intent and if defender was shedding blocks, and the blocker "slid low" due to action of the defender and it was his only way to stay engaged and keep him out of the play, I think I'd keep the flag in my pocket.  On the other hand, if we judge that the blocker was losing his block, and simply went low to take out the defender, then maybe a flag.

I'd tend to agree that the "first contact", when the blockers do not disengage, is an important factor here for #3.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:33:04 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel