Author Topic: Stanford vs Cal - 1982  (Read 1972 times)

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
Stanford vs Cal - 1982
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:33:02 PM »
I've always wondered why this play was allowed to stand. How would you officiate this play if it occured with the current NCAA rules?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfebpLfAt8g

Offline ump_ben

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Re: Stanford vs Cal - 1982
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »
I believe I have three flags down on this play.    ^flag First for the band on the field which you penalize with a touchdown.   ^flag Then I've got UNS for that spike.    ^flagAnd finally, I've got UNR on the trombone player as there was no reason whatsover that he needed to hit the runner who had clearly already scored.  Decline the last two by rule as the game is already over?    ^no  ^good  ^no  :)

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
Under what basis would you not allow the play to stand? Did Cal commit a foul? I don't see one. The alleged final pass that some argue was forward based on where it was thrown from and where it landed was legal. The rule assumes that passer is standing or moving laterally and not forward. He clearly throws the ball backward and the momentum of the ball goes backward, thus no advantage gained and no foul.

If you want to argue the Cal player's knee or other part of his body (than hand or foot) was down earlier in the play, go for it, but the video can't confirm and its a judgment call all the way. They didn't call it and replay can't overrule that. Thus, we're left with the band on the field.

I read an article where the Referee was interviewed. He said that when the play was over and all hell had broken loose, the crew got together to discuss what happened. He had no idea the player had scored. The first question he asked the crew was, "did anyone blow a whistle." No one did. Then he started down his "list" of things to go over when someone said, "hey, the guy scored..." Up until then, the R was thinking he'd have to award Cal a score due to the band being on the field and he didn't really want to do that. This is also where the backward pass above becomes legal even if technically it wasn't: the band being on the field very well could have played a big part in Cal's (and Stanford's, for that matter) running during the play and forced the runner inside instead of outside. This wasn't simply a foul on both teams but a foul by non-players or possibly additional Stanford players being on the field.

Stanford folks thinking they got robbed are being idiots. The band caused the entire problem and the officials handled things exactly as they should have. Cal scored without fouling and the play should have stood, and did stand. Those that don't like it should take it up with the Stanford administration who can't seem to control their students. Why these idiots thought the game was over, I'll never know.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:17:49 AM »
Why these idiots thought the game was over, I'll never know.

Don’t try to understand the “thinking” of 17-21 years old college students.  You’ll drive yourself crazy. (And in my case, that’s a really short drive!)