Author Topic: New information via email from UIL  (Read 9173 times)

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
New information via email from UIL
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
Just got another email from the UIL in my private email account.  They do address many concerns or at least, give them lip service, but they still fail to mention how long the registration will be "free" for non-UIL members in concrete terms...  well now that I read it again it seems it will be free annually... is this document binding?

However, all officials must complete the free registration process annually.

^flag

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:53:49 PM by fencewire »

Mo2Tx

Re: New information via email from UIL
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »
Did you notice that it is not on UIL letterhead, nor is it signed.  Makes me wonder as to the validity of the email.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder why they would need to clarify. Just because they do not have a clue what they are doing!

Jeeeez Louise you would think they would have gotten it right the first time and put the information out for people to see rather that just say, "Our way or the highway".

An folks like Ornery want them to be in charge!

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »
i am confused. Is the uil just wanting us to just register our names with the uil and the schools can still use taso officials provided the uil has our names... doesn't taso send them those names anyway. and its free every year and we decided where we get our training. but if this is the case. why did we get to law suits and threats.
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:56:32 PM »
That's how I read it... ???

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »
The text of the possibly official memo (as was pointed out, no letterhead or signature):

The Third Court of Appeals decision in the suit filed by TASO vs UIL overturned the
decisions of the lower court and dismissed the lawsuit. While TASO continues to claim
victory and has recently filed another suit against UIL employees, it does not change the
fact that UIL member schools have the authority to make rules regarding their games.
There has been confusion among some officials and UIL member schools regarding the
issue of registration for sports officials. To clarify this issue, the UIL offers the following
information.
According to Section 1204 of the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules (C&CR), officials
who wish to officiate UIL contests must be registered with the UIL. This registration
process does not require the individual official to align with the UIL, nor does it require
the official to join the UIL as a member. Registration is required in order to provide the
UIL with directory information to communicate and contact officials regarding playoff
game selections and pertinent sports related information. It also verifies that each official
has completed and passed the Officials Compliance Program(OCP), (formerly COPE).
This two step process is free to officials and does not require any additional action.
Registration should not be confused with membership. Each chapter will decide whom
their service provider will be for rule books, insurance, training, etc. Chapters may
choose either TASO or UIL for these services. However, all individual officials who
wish to officiate UIL contests must register with the UIL annually, regardless of their
chapter membership affiliation.
There has been much propaganda and many myths perpetrated by those who do not wish
for officials to have a choice where they receive their services. For over 30 years the UIL
required officials to join TASO. Many officials have questioned why they were forced to
join TASO. At the same time many schools desired a different model.
In response to the escalating concerns, the rule changes approved by the UIL Legislative
Council now gives a choice to officials, while allowing officials the opportunity to decide
where to receive their services. However, all officials must complete the free registration
process annually.
Concerns regarding who will assign games at the local level is unfounded. Local
chapters have been an integral part of officiating long before an officials association was
formed. Chapters will continue to make assignments for games locally, in all sports as
they presently do.
Playoff assignments shall be made as they have been in past years. UIL member schools
who agree on officials shall continue to contact the chapters directly for assignments.
However, they are required to use only officials registered with UIL.
Both UIL and TASO chapters shall have the opportunity to be assigned playoff games by
the UIL office when schools cannot agree. However, neither the UIL nor the local chapter
can assign officials to playoff games who are not registered with the UIL.
The registration process does not align or declare an official with the UIL and does not
make them a member of the UIL. Registration allows officials to be eligible to officiate
UIL games under section 1204 of the UIL C&CR.
There is some concern regarding the November 1st date. Officials should be registered
with the UIL prior to that date. The time frame comes prior to the beginning of the
football and volleyball playoffs. The use of non UIL registered officials must have prior
approval from the UIL Director of Athletics after November 1, 2010. Penalties for
utilizing non UIL registered officials, without approval, are covered in the UIL C&CR.
It is important to note that UIL member schools will be granted administrative access to
every local chapter regarding registration information in the coming weeks. Schools will
be able to monitor registration progress chapter by chapter, sport by sport. This will
allow the schools to monitor officials who are eligible to officiate UIL contests.
If you have any questions feel free to contact the UIL office.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »
It seems to me they already have us in their database.  I still want to know how they got my non-public email address.

ornery1

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »
It seems to me they already have us in their database.  I still want to know how they got my non-public email address.

The only reason they know is because I told them Mr. Hickey!!!!!

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
 ^flag

So if the UIL is so hell-bent on their "free" registration of football officials, why can't they just have the secretary of each TASO Chapter submit a list of their members for registration purposes? Theoretically, it would make things a heck of a lot easier on everybody, the UIL included.

No! The main reason they won't do that is because they might let the initial season be "free" but in all liklihood they'll implement "bait and switch" tactics and start requiring the $50.00 registration fee that they originally coveted. Trust me: they need the money, enough to curtail its collection until 2011 But you can bet the farm that that is definitely going to come to fruition!

And, I too, am personally bothered by the fact that their letter of this afternoon was not posted on the UIL letterhead nor did it have any kind of signature on it. It also greatly bothers me to know through whatever unscrupulous means that the UIL procured the list of the TASO members email addresses and their other personal data.

It just stands to reason that the folks over there on Manor Road as evidenced by their actions are nothing more than bunch of snivelling cowards who could care less about the avocation of officiating!    z^

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:59:14 PM »
Also unanswered is what does being "registered" mean.  Am I subject to discipline by the UIL if I eject a coach?  They make it very clear that we are not members of the UIL and, thus, will have no representation.  So, what exactly is the UIL's expectation of control over the officials.  Is all control still going though TASO and local chapters.  Who is to enforce the solicitation rules, etc.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 01:03:58 AM »
The only reason they know is because I told them Mr. Hickey!!!!!

Ok.  So you know who I am.  How about showing a little bravery and tell me who you are. 

GameWillTravel

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 07:50:51 AM »
Is all about the money. And Controll  :bOW   :bOW  :bOW  :bOW

rickref

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 07:56:27 AM »
If it is a choice I do not see why any current TASO chapter for FOOTBALL would want to align with UIL. How would statewide consistency be achieved if you had two sets of groups training? Were would the UIL get is subject matter experts for football training or would the defer the annual clinic to TASO etc? Lots of questions, lots and lots of questions...

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 02:03:36 PM »
If it is a choice I do not see why any current TASO chapter for FOOTBALL would want to align with UIL. How would statewide consistency be achieved if you had two sets of groups training? Were would the UIL get is subject matter experts for football training or would the defer the annual clinic to TASO etc? Lots of questions, lots and lots of questions...

^flag

... and add to that a severe shortage of viable answers to those questions! Sorry boys, but it's all about the power!   z^