Author Topic: 27 NCAA Questions  (Read 6003 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
27 NCAA Questions
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »
27 NCAA Questions (attached - answers, too).

These came from somewhere else, and I cleaned them up, removing extraneous verbiage, re-wording some parts to remove ambiguity, and changing yard lines to simplify the math.  Some of the questions may be surprisingly basic.  There are several that involve Replay.  Any study is good study.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:56:34 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline Archie

• FAN REACTION: +6/-4
Re: 27 NCAA Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
Great stuff, thank you for the good work on this test.  I think just a small typo in the answer to No. 2 (check the yardline after enforcement). I really liked the thinking that goes into the plays in No. 16 and No. 27.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:39:53 PM »
I think just a small typo in the answer to No. 2 (check the yardline after enforcement).

You are correct.  The yard line for the succeeding spot didn't get edited.  Should be "2/20, A-20."  I will upload a corrected 'answers' document later today.

Thank you!

Robert

PS I had nothing to do with developing the questions.  As I said, they came from elsewhere.  I just tried to make them more concise and easier to calculate penalty yardages, etc.  I believe they may have been taken from actual plays from the 2017 season.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
Answer 12 also has an incorrect player number, not that it really matters for test purposes :)

I think #16 actually happened last (or previous?) season.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 02:58:09 PM »
I replaced the answers with the corrected version, at the original post.
Thanks for letting me know about the errors.

Robert

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »
Just did the first page(as they printed out) and got through 11. Ill do the rest later. Question, why do you say #6 is not auto 1st? He's looking right at the receiver and the hold causes him to not be able to throw to him. I though no auto 1st is when you have a hold and its against a player who never has a chance to catch the ball?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
To have an auto first on DH, the foul must occur beyond the line of scrimmage and there must be a legal forward pass that crosses the line of scrimmage. Those are the only things that determine if the ten yard penalty comes with a first down. On this play, the hold takes place behind the line. Plus it says the pass lands at his feet, so the pass presumably did not cross the line either. This is simply a ten yard penalty from the previous spot.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
Yeah, just saw that part. I read A20 and 22

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »
15. 1/10, A-20, 10:30 (4), A=14, B=21. QB A1 throws a pass toward the sideline to A81 at the A-29. A81 momentarily bobbles the ball while inbounds, but clearly gains firm control of the ball, with his right foot inbounds on the ground before he then steps out of bounds with his left foot, clearly maintaining firm control of the ball after he steps out of bounds with the ball at the A-29. The covering officials converse momentarily, and rule incomplete pass (giving a ‘bobble’ signal). The Replay Official elects not to stop the game to review the play. (For this question, this play has a direct, competitive impact on the game.)

15.   A, 2/1, A-29

This one I don't understand. Just as a curiosity I looked all over for an official NCAA definition of a "bobble" or "juggling" and can find no mention of them. Neither can I find an official NCAA hand rule for "bobbling". This is beside the main point, but I found it interesting since I often see referees using the signal that is not defined.

I can only understand this decision if it is perhaps what should have been called, rather than what was called (incomplete). As a layman, am I missing something?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
This one I don't understand. Just as a curiosity I looked all over for an official NCAA definition of a "bobble" or "juggling" and can find no mention of them. Neither can I find an official NCAA hand rule for "bobbling". This is beside the main point, but I found it interesting since I often see referees using the signal that is not defined.

I can only understand this decision if it is perhaps what should have been called, rather than what was called (incomplete). As a layman, am I missing something?

The officials incorrectly rule that A81 did not maintain firm control of the ball before stepping out of bounds (ie. he juggled/bobbled the ball while going OOB - not before going OOB as the question states). The clue in this question is that normally replay would not get involved in this as it is not a first down, but as this play has "a direct, competitive impact on the game", the replay official should stop the play for review and instruct the crew to spot the ball at A-29, 2nd and 1.

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »
Thx.... so it is what they should have done, not what they did. That's the part that had me confused. I was reading it like it really happened, they called the pass incomplete, but still placed it at the A-29.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »
Thx.... so it is what they should have done, not what they did. That's the part that had me confused. I was reading it like it really happened, they called the pass incomplete, but still placed it at the A-29.

OSU65, these plays were taken from actual on-field events.  In this case, the on-field officials ruled incomplete, believing he did not have complete grasp and control of the ball before stepping on the ground OB.  So, the ball was initially put back at the previous spot for 2nd down.  However, the RO stopped the game to review the play, and determined the receiver did, in fact, complete the catch, and went OB at the A-29.  So the ball was placed at the A-29, 2/1.

Robert

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 03:55:34 AM »
I understand the answers for most of the questions,  but why is 24 illegal touching? A B player blocked the ball, so B already touched the kick. The only possible reason could be that the ball was blocked in the neutral zone, and touching in the neutral zone is ignored. Is that why the answer to 24 is illegal touching and possession for B at the A28?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 05:24:58 AM »
I understand the answers for most of the questions,  but why is 24 illegal touching? A B player blocked the ball, so B already touched the kick. The only possible reason could be that the ball was blocked in the neutral zone, and touching in the neutral zone is ignored. Is that why the answer to 24 is illegal touching and possession for B at the A28?

Yes. See rules 6-3-1 and 2.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 08:45:28 AM »

Ily,
By rule, blocking of a kick within 3 yards of the Neutral Zone (not just in the NZ) is ignored, with respect to touching of a scrimmage kick beyond the NZ.

Robert

Offline lha1986

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Improving everyday
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 12:21:35 PM »
Do we have a glossary of the acronyms? I have no idea of what several of them mean.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
Do we have a glossary of the acronyms? I have no idea of what several of them mean.

Not sure what you mean by acronyms, but , if you mean the NCAA foul codes, I have attached the foul report form which has the codes at the bottom.

Robert

Offline lha1986

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Improving everyday
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
Oh, that was it, thanks a bunch! Things make more sense now.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 09:21:46 AM »
Oh, that was it, thanks a bunch! Things make more sense now.

Here's even more foul codes! (attached)