Author Topic: :25 play clock  (Read 20972 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: :25 play clock
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
And with all that uncertainty and inconsistenty, by some miracle the game survived, even prospered to become the unquestioned leader in popularity.  Amazing.  How can we be expected to see the forest with all these damn trees blocking the view?

Roscoe

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 09:00:27 PM »
I have made note of most all of the major scoreboard consoles and educated myself how to turn off tenths of a second. It's the first thing I do if I'm running ECO. I don't care how much the school spent on the scoreboard  , it's going to be turned off if my crew is there.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »
My association secretary has told me that the GHSA interpretation is that if the game clocked is stopped with less than one second (0.1 - 0.9) when tenths are on the clock, the period is over.

I said I would follow up wit the state, and I did.  I have responded to SouthGARef in private with the exact response from the state interpreter, but just so others don't think we have completely lost our minds in Georgia, it was confirmed that this is not now, nor never has been, a GHSA interpretation.  If even 1/10 of a second is on the clock, there is still time left in the game.

That being said, if you can turn off the tenths, by all means, do it, and avoid this kind of problem.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 07:56:27 AM »
I said I would follow up wit the state, and I did.  I have responded to SouthGARef in private with the exact response from the state interpreter, but just so others don't think we have completely lost our minds in Georgia, it was confirmed that this is not now, nor never has been, a GHSA interpretation.  If even 1/10 of a second is on the clock, there is still time left in the game.

That being said, if you can turn off the tenths, by all means, do it, and avoid this kind of problem.
Amen!!!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »

AB, I never got a PM from you?

Soccerisfootball

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
talk to the clock operator before the game and tell him to stop the clock at 24 seconds so you don't have this problem LOLOL

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 08:06:44 PM »
AB, I never got a PM from you?
Sent a PM and an email.  Did you get either one?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 04:05:18 PM »
         My understanding of clock mechanics is that when a clock shows :01 (for example) there is AT LEAST a full second left and there can be as much as :01.9 seconds left. So, the instant that a clock hits :00 there are actually :00.9 seconds left. It's more noticeable in the gym, but when a clock first hits :00, the buzzer does NOT go off because there are actually :00.9 seconds left. The buzzer doesn't go off until almost a full second later at :00.0 or actually :00.0000000000000000!

I understand it to be the opposite.  If a clock shows :02 seconds, that actually means the time is anywhere between :01.1 and :01.9.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 06:02:10 AM »
Many of the displays on the press box control boxes show the tenths even when the time on the scoreboard is over one minute.  When the scoreboard shows 12:00 and the switch is activated, the scoreboard now shows 11:59, but the control box shows 11:59:59.

So, the scoreboard display should actually be translated as "AT LEAST 11:59".

Offline bossman72

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »
I don't think the clock operators can easily turn the tenths off of the scoreboard.  We mention it every game and they never do.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
I don't think the clock operators can easily turn the tenths off of the scoreboard.  We mention it every game and they never do.
I certainly can't speak to all scoreboards, but on ours, it means hitting a sequence of 3 buttons, and takes less than 5 seconds.

Of course, it's not the pushing of 3 buttons, it's knowing WHICH 3 buttons to push in WHAT order that seems to confuse many people.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
In some areas, clock operators are officials and assigned by the local Officials Organization and work on any number of different control panels that operate the scoreboard clocks.  If you can't turn off the 1/10 second feature for a clock operator, perhaps you could post some instructions for how to push those 3 buttons in the proper sequence to assist them (and you).

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
In some areas, clock operators are officials and assigned by the local Officials Organization and work on any number of different control panels that operate the scoreboard clocks.  If you can't turn off the 1/10 second feature for a clock operator, perhaps you could post some instructions for how to push those 3 buttons in the proper sequence to assist them (and you).

In Georgia, ECOs are officials for varsity games.  When I coached from the press box, I would always turn it off if it was on during pregame.  Now that I'm on the field, I DID post instructions, taped to the countertop.  Admittedly, those instructions were primarily for the dads that were keeping the clock in sub-varsity games, but they are right there, clear enough for anyone to see.  Some guys get it no problem, some don't.  If they don't, I send one of our assistants from the coaching box to fix it, because it's irritating on the field (constant flashing).  I also know if I have to send an assistant coach because the ECO can't read the instructions on how to do it, we should probably keep a close eye on the clock all night, it's probably not the only thing he isn't going to get right.

And experience seems to have nothing to do with quality of keeping the clock.  I have seen rookies that were great, and rookies that were awful.  One of the worst ECOs we had this year was the president of the association, who was out with an injury.  He was too busy watching HOW the officials were doing, and not paying attention to his job.  The R had to reset the clock a number of times that night.  One time, the R came over to the sideline to tell us to call up there on the radio to give them a reset time.  I asked, "Who's up there tonight?"  When he told me, I said, "Wait, isn't he president of your association?"  R said, "Yeah, you would think he would know better, but he has the attention span of a first grader.  I hate when he has our clock.  I wish he would heal up and get back on the field."

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
I understand it to be the opposite.  If a clock shows :02 seconds, that actually means the time is anywhere between :01.1 and :01.9.
0:02 means 2+.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bossman72

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
0:02 means 2+.

Well if that were true, then when the clock reads :00, then there's actually time left on the clock.  That wouldn't make sense.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
Well if that were true, then when the clock reads :00, then there's actually time left on the clock.  That wouldn't make sense.
It makes more sense than you think. Horns are not set to sound at the exact moment the display reads :00.
- Vince Lombardi