Author Topic: Quarterbacks with mouth guards out  (Read 5309 times)

Offline Badger1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Quarterbacks with mouth guards out
« on: July 30, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »
All of us have seen the 25 second play clock going when team A breaks the huddle and the quarterback stands behind the center with his mouth guard out giving preliminary signals and directions to teammates prior to putting it in for the snap.  Also have seen the same on the other side of the line when linebackers make defensive calls just before the snap.  Just wondering with the new rule how much leeway we are going to give players to get it in?

It is my intention this season when speaking with the coaches pregame that we are not the uniform police and going to check all 22 players prior to blowing the ready for play signal.  Players need to police this themselves or out they go for a play.  Am I wrong with this concept?  In every game last season we had teams where we had to tell players to pull their sleeves down so they covered the shoulder pads.  I assume this is a foul also?  Thanks in advance for your opinion on these issues. 

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
Re: Quarterbacks with mouth guards out
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:16:37 AM »
I don't think that it is a good idea to even hint to a coach that you are in essence going to ignore/overlook/not look for, safety related violations.  Do what you need to do, but don't give some lawyer a chance to allege in court that you intentionally ignored such a rule.  I think that this is somewhat similar to confessing to a crime before the crime has been committed.

Offline Badger1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:30:16 AM »
It is not my intention to ignore any rules as I have no problem having them sit out a play.  It's just that I don't think we should be expected to be visually checking all 22 players for equipment issues after every play when we all have respotting responsibilities and getting ready for the next play. 

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »
In my experience it’s been best not to tell coaches what we are/aren’t going to do. Just enforce the rules as intended and they will get the message. When we start saying what we are/ aren’t doing, then the first time we deviate from that the coach will notice and complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »
In my experience it’s been best not to tell coaches what we are/aren’t going to do. Just enforce the rules as intended and they will get the message. When we start saying what we are/ aren’t doing, then the first time we deviate from that the coach will notice and complain.

Sound advice, as is, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".  With forgotten mouthpieces, simply saying the word "MOUTHPIECES" just loud enough for those on the field to hear you, can (and should) eliminate 99% of the problem.  Not paying attention after forgetting can, unfortunately, cause consequences.

Ignoring the problem can create unnecessary (and potentially costly) liability.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 05:46:22 AM »
IMO, there’s no problem until the snap is imminent.  I’ll give them until then to get legal.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »
If we see one dangling we are screaming, "mouthpiece, mouthpiece, mouthpiece." If they are not listening, we blow it and throw it..

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
Refer to Officials Manual -page 86. 4th paragraph under Equipment Issues to be Addressed, reads:

"....It is certainly appropriate to allow the correction of the equipment problem quickly and avoid removing the player  if the correction/repair is clearly possible in a timely manner ( a tooth and mouth protector is hanging from the face mask or a back pad attached to the shoulder pads is not covered by the jersey)."

The referee would have the authority of starting the game clock on the snap if an advantage was gained by this.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:23:07 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
I'm the R and I yell "mouthpiece" or "chinstrap" as needed.  And I always look at the punter, kicker, & holder if they sub in. 

This was an experimental rule in Ohio last year.  If a player is legally equipped when the play starts, we do not send them out for a play if their jersey come untucked or the jersey sleeve or pant leg roles up during the play.   We tell them to fix it.   If we have to tell them 3-4 times we will probably send them out to get a uniform that fits.  Did that twice last year and had no complaints from the coaches.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:46:22 PM by refjeff »

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »

"Quarterback! Put your mouthpiece in your mouth!"
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
If we see one dangling we are screaming, "mouthpiece, mouthpiece, mouthpiece." If they are not listening, we blow it and throw it..
dotto; however the deper we get into a game, the deeper we get into the season, that leash gets shorter.  At some point, personal responsibility of the player becomes greater and the babysitting responsibility becomes less.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »
dotto; however the deper we get into a game, the deeper we get into the season, that leash gets shorter.  At some point, personal responsibility of the player becomes greater and the babysitting responsibility becomes less.

Sometimes the reality of dealing with children can be annoyingly frustrating, but there's always the possibility "this" might be the last reminder that will ever be needed, and is worth the little effort involved.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »
Sometimes the reality of dealing with children can be annoyingly frustrating, but there's always the possibility "this" might be the last reminder that will ever be needed, and is worth the little effort involved.
"Is that to say we're prescribing to give them, "just one more time and i'll..."

....Thus the multiple reminders and effort as previously stated..until the leash runs out.
Then, the flag will be a fine reminder. And hopefully it will sink in - if not already via multiple, previous reminders/requests.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »
"Is that to say we're prescribing to give them, "just one more time and i'll..."

....Thus the multiple reminders and effort as previously stated..until the leash runs out.
Then, the flag will be a fine reminder. And hopefully it will sink in - if not already via multiple, previous reminders/requests.

Don't forget, "WE" retain absolute and total control over deciding which reminder WAS the last reminder and when a flag is necessary and/or how long, and if/when the leash might/might not be appropriate, based on THAT specific circumstance in THAT specific game, rather than some arbitrary number, or general consensus.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 07:52:34 AM »
The more you scratch your butt, the more your finger stinks.

He'll put it.  If he doesn't then deal with it.  They've only been doing it for 50-60 years.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »
The more you scratch your butt, the more your finger stinks.

+1 NC

Reminds me of wing officials who give 5+ "final warnings" to coaches to stay out of the restricted area. 

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
Don't forget, "WE" retain absolute and total control over deciding which reminder WAS the last reminder and when a flag is necessary and/or how long, and if/when the leash might/might not be appropriate, based on THAT specific circumstance in THAT specific game, rather than some arbitrary number, or general consensus.
i guess we'll agree to disagree.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:55:09 PM by TampaSteve »