Author Topic: From the "who didn't see this coming" department-  (Read 1981 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
From the "who didn't see this coming" department-
« on: August 14, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »
So I'm working WH in a scrimmage last night when B player gets his hand inside the collar of the shoulder pad and pulls the runner backwards to the ground so I flag for the HCT.

B HC comes up to me after the assessment (coaches were in the offensive backfield) and asks "So if he pulls him back or to the side, its a horsecollar, right?"
Me:  "Yes, coach, and don't forget that this year the new rule about grasping...."
HC:  "Yeah, I know, the numbers."
 hEaDbAnG

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: From the "who didn't see this coming" department-
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
While understand the rule is important, if the coach is teaching his kids with a slightly more liberal definition to avoid anything that might come close to a horse collar, then I'm good with that. It's a safety foul and should err on the side of safety.

What I'm waiting for is a coach claiming that their opponent doesn't have names on their jerseys, so there's no "name plate" to grab.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »
My experience is that coach's use their knowledge (or lack thereof) to complain to the official for calling/not calling horse collar. I've had them yell at me for not throwing a flag when a tackler dragged down his runner by the shirt tail, claiming that he "pulled him down from behind!" "That's horsecollar!" I thought, (but didn't say,) "No, that's horse****. There's a difference!"

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 08:46:26 AM »
In Maine very few teams have nameplates. I've told our coaches between the top of the numbers and collar.

USLESS SPORTS KNOWLEDGE : In 2013, the Red Sox catcher was named Saltalamacchia, the longest name in MLB history. The Red Sox were world champs that year.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »
In Maine very few teams have nameplates. I've told our coaches between the top of the numbers and collar.

True here too.  Not a bad idea.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:06:31 PM »
My experience is that coach's use their knowledge (or lack thereof) to complain to the official for calling/not calling horse collar. I've had them yell at me for not throwing a flag when a tackler dragged down his runner by the shirt tail, claiming that he "pulled him down from behind!" "That's horsecollar!" I thought, (but didn't say,) "No, that's horse****. There's a difference!"

Sometimes, dealing with someone who may be ignorant  requires a different approach than dealing with someone who's trying to be stupid.