Author Topic: Kirk Herbstreit questions integrity of HS officials...  (Read 6592 times)

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Kirk Herbstreit questions integrity of HS officials...
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »
Kirk Herbstreit on Dwyer fiasco: 'It made me sick to my stomach'

> Posted by Joe Rose on September 8, 2010 11:11 AM
ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit, who joined me on the show Wednesday morning to discuss the opening week of the college and high school football seasons, turned apologetic when the talk turned to the game between Palm Beach Gardens’ Dwyer and Cleveland’s Glenville, played Monday at Ohio Stadium in Columbus.

Glenville won the game 26-22 after officials denied Dwyer three apparent go-ahead touchdowns in the final 88 seconds of the game.

“It made me sick to my stomach,” Herbstreit said.

“They throw a fade into the corner of the end zone… guy clearly gets his feet down for a touchdown. I’m thinking, ‘Where’s the instant replay?’”

Dwyer would go on to get back to the Glenville 2 in the closing seconds and run two quarterback sneaks.

“It looked like they got in once, if not the first time, definitely the second time, and the officials don’t give them a touchdown three different times and Dwyer ends up losing and my heart just sank.”

Herbstreit bemoaned: “Just what my event needs.”

The former Ohio State quarterback went on: “Clearly, watching on TV, that’s a touchdown. To the fans of Dwyer and to their players, I am as sick about it as you are.

“I was with a buddy of mine … he played high school football with me, and I said ‘Imagine if we flew down to Florida to play one of their better teams and we drove the last drive and scored the winning touchdown and a Florida referee looked us in the eye and said, “Nope.” And we scored another winning touchdown and a Florida referee said ,’Nope.’ And we scored a third winning touchdown and a Florida referee said ‘Nope.’

“I said, ‘I’d feel like [Dwyer star tight end Nick] O’Leary [who made an obscene gesture leaving the field], too. I mean, I’d be upset, too.

“All I can say is, I apologize.”

Herbstreit said he was hoping to get a hold of the Dwyer athletic director on Wednesday.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Re: Kirk Herbstreit questions integrity of HS officials...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »
Maybe he'll pony up for 7 man crews next time if these games are so important.   Or maybe he will go the Little League route and add his own brand of instant replay for these crucial games. ::)

(Every game is important of course but I think you catch my drift)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:35:01 PM by Welpe »

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:31:11 PM »
The worst part of this is there will be NO shortage of guys willing to do those games again next year. 

Cooter

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:39:44 PM »
The worst part of this is there will be NO shortage of guys willing to do those games again next year. 

Now that's one boycott I'd like to see.  Herbstreit is a jerk - I mute the sound everytime he speaks.  It's a shame ESPN has to rely on that idiot for college football (and High School too I guess.)

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 07:35:17 AM »
Maybe he'll pony up for 7 man crews next time if these games are so important.   Or maybe he will go the Little League route and add his own brand of instant replay for these crucial games. ::)

(Every game is important of course but I think you catch my drift)

They DID pay 7 Man crews at Cowboys Stadium.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »

They DID pay 7 Man crews at Cowboys Stadium.

OK...so why not in this game then?

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:54:06 AM »
Maybe herbie in Ohio was too cheap?

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
Just one question....  was Herbstreit correct: were they touchdowns?

younggun

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »
The first one (pass in the EZ)... yes... replay showed that it was a TD (we can all miss these).... the others you can never see the ball so you do not know for sure. It looks like it, but you can not see any leather.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 11:13:43 AM »
So his problem is delivery, then?  (And not judgment?)