Author Topic: any news?  (Read 24697 times)

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: any news?
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »
Dang!! 52 yard FGs are automatic!?!  :o
I don't think that is the case in college or the NFL but then again they don't have a famous, movie star  kicking coach!  aWaRd

And I've never had a kid with this kind of leg!

In "normal" years, I expect 100% success from 42 yards or less (37 for the JV kids).  With him, I expect 100% from 47 or less, but I'm finding that 52 on in and he is golden.

As for the recruiters, it's funny.  He already has 3 D1 offers (Auburn, Boston College, Ga Tech).  In the past two weeks, we have had phone calls from Vandy, Stanford, Texas, Ohio State and Notre Dame.  But some of those calls are judging interest and expectations.  There are still many schools that don't think they need to use a scholarship on a kicker, that they can pick one up as a walkon, and they can earn their scholarship over time.

I met with the staff of one of those schools yesterday.  In a nice way, I tried to show them that they could have turned two of last year's losses into wins if they had a kicker that was consistent from just 40 yards.  They went 8 for 14 on FGs last year, and 4 of the 6 misses were from less than 40 yards!  How can you look at that and still think you don't need to invest a scholarship in a kicker?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »
Dang!! 52 yard FGs are automatic!?!
I don't think that is the case in college or the NFL but then again they don't have a famous, movie star  kicking coach!

Nor are they allowed to elevate the ball up to 2" before kicking.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 04:45:10 PM »
Nor are they allowed to elevate the ball up to 2" before kicking.

None of my kickers use a 2" block for FGs.  Most use a 1", the kid with the big leg uses one about 1/2".  The 1/2" block is more to make sure the hold is going to be on level ground.  As Jack Nicklaus says, "If you are allowed to use a tee, why would you not?  You always have a perfect lie." (Jack always used a tee, even on par threes).

I have already started work with him on kicking from the ground.  There are two basic adjustments that must be made, and he's doing well with them.  Short term, he may lose a few yards off the ground, but that won't last long.  But for his senior season, he will kick with makes him him the best kicker for our TEAM, not his future, and he is fine with that decision.