Author Topic: Automatic Unsportsmanlike?  (Read 8498 times)

JudgeWapner

Automatic Unsportsmanlike?
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
Is the act of a player extending his arm and holding the ball high above his head when crossing the goal line an automatic unsportsmanlike call? Or does it have to be considered "taunting" or "delayed, prolonged, or excessive" which are examples of Noncontact Unsportsmanlike Conduct?

My play in question had A83 make a nice 40-yard catch in traffic at B's 7 yard line. Once he had control of the ball and separated from the defenders at the 3, he raised the ball over his head while crossing the goal line. He lowered his arm as he ran to the back of the end zone and was soon thereafter greeted by his excited teammates. After a couple chest bumps he tossed the ball to the BJ (me) and ran off the field. Although this took place in a "heated" game, there was zero interaction between the receiver and the opponents on this play -- just what looked to me to be an excited player and team who score on a nice play.

My more experienced Umpire said there should have been a flag because the receiver raised the ball over his head, and in this game ("heated") we were not to allow it. Is this not a judgment call, or is raising a ball over the head always a penalty?

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
Re: Automatic Unsportsmanlike?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »
Any act of celebration while the ball is still live prior to scoring has been designated as taunting in NC.  He would be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, ejected for taunting and suspended for next week's game. 

JudgeWapner

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
Thanks, FBUmp. Is it specific to NC that any act of celebration is considered taunting? That seems harsh. I know in the old days it was not sportsmanlike to celebrate, but back then helmet to helmet contact was accepted, too. Seems like there should be some leeway on the excitement the kids share with their teammates. And I know, you don't make the rules. Thanks for sharing how you would have to deal with the situation.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:35:46 PM »
Sure about that Ump?
From e mail dated 6/29/12

Booking Agents and Officials:

I have adapted the following from the Ohio State Office for use by the NCHSAA.

UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT
The NCHSAA is committed to sportsmanship as a point of emphasis and a strategy for fair play. Officials must be prepared to recognize fouls and enforce them properly. The following guidelines will help officials make proper decisions regarding unsporting acts.
(a)   Do not be overly technical in applying unsporting penalties
(b)   Do allow for brief, spontaneous, emotional reactions at the end of a play
(c)   Beyond brief and spontaneous displays of energy, officials must flag acts that are clearly prolonged, self-congratulatory, self-glorifying, excessive, demeaning and taunting to opponents, and/or that make a mockery of the game
The following list is intended to assist officials with making their decision regarding the legality or illegality of player actions. It is not possible to comprehensively be exact in writing what should and should not be called/allowed. Remember, the key is judgment and that’s what good officials have.
LEGAL ACTS
•   Cross the goal line and point to the sky
•   Cross the goal line and pray for a short time
•   Diving directly towards the pylon when pursued by defender
•   High fives with teammates
•   Jump and chest bumping with teammates
•   Spontaneous celebration shared with teammates
•   Celebration done in the team box area
•   Cross the goal line and raise teammate in the air
•   Raising the ball over the head when crossing the goal line
ILLEGAL ACTS
•   One or more back or forward flips
•   Dive into the end zone or alter stride as they approach goal line with no opponents nearby
•   Using profanity, insulting or vulgar language and/or gestures
•   Celebrating by dancing in the end zone
•   Spike the football into the ground after score or good play
•   Dunk or attempt to dunk the football over the cross bar
•   Kick, throw, spin or carry the football any distance that requires an official to retrieve it
•   Make hand gestures such as choking, throat slashing, pounding one’s chest or pointing a finger like a gun
•   Go into the stands to interact with spectators
•   Point back or wave at an opponent
•   Teammates engaged in a choreographed display of celebration
•   Derogatory remarks directed at officials
•   Stand over player just tackled and gesture/point/taunt to intimidate or bring attention to yourself
•   Intentionally fail to place the football on the ground or immediately return it to a nearby official
•   Use gestures to encourage the crowd when they begin booing officials
•   Hand the football or throw the football at an opponent
•   Repeatedly punch the goal post pad with the opponents school name on it
•   Runner turns and taunts an opponent while he crosses the goal line
•   Bow at the waist after a good play
•   Kick the football other than a legal kick

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
Sure about that Ump?

I mistakenly read into it that he held the ball over his head before the score, not as he crossed the goal line. I agree that we wouldn't flag it if he did this after he scores.

JudgeWapner, our state supervisor took a hard stance on celebrations prior to scoring several years ago. It has virtually eliminated, waving the ball at an opponent, raising the ball over your head, diving into the end zone, etc. We rarely if ever see this type of thing anymore.

Kids are going to do as much as you allow them to do.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »
NC has a higher standard than most places!  A spontaneous gesture not directed at an opponent is nothing.

Football is an emotional game, and kids are going to celebrate.  If it's short, not coordinated, is spontaneous, isn't designed to call attention to one's self, and isn't directed at an opponent, leave it alone.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
NC has a higher standard than most places!

We copied it from <shudder> Ohio.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
Well, there's your problem!

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
Spontaneous, after the score, that's fine.

While the ball is live as he's running down the field, nah.

In any case, we have virtually eliminated such nonsense prior to the score.  Just goes to show that kids can control themselves if they have to.

WC12

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »

The next thing you know, you'll be wearing shorts on Friday nights ;)

ECILLJ

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
Is the act of a player extending his arm and holding the ball high above his head when crossing the goal line  play.

If he does this as he is about to cross the line, I have nothing. The description given does not meet my threshold for taunting the opponent or bringing attention to himself. If he did this at the 5 or 10 yard line, then we have a foul.

JudgeWapner

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:01:42 PM »
If he does this as he is about to cross the line, I have nothing. The description given does not meet my threshold for taunting the opponent or bringing attention to himself. If he did this at the 5 or 10 yard line, then we have a foul.

Thanks all for your input. Sounds like it is a judgement call as to whether or not there is taunting and/or the act is excessive or prolonged.

StudyingFutureZebra

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
I didn't know any jurisdiction had set out a list of things that were legal. I'd only seen the NCAA's list of "Flag every time" acts.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
This isn't Wimbledon where the opponents politely bow or curtsy to each other and then in unison to any Royal present :angel:. It's an exciting game played by excited kids. My barometer is , was he : (1) happy; (2) showing off; (3) taunting? #1 doesn't draw a flag 8], #2 & 3 do ^flag.

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 08:35:55 PM »
I didn't know any jurisdiction had set out a list of things that were legal. I'd only seen the NCAA's list of "Flag every time" acts.

Now you have one. :)

Nothing wrong with a little clarity.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 07:42:19 AM »
To the original inquiry:
I aint got nothing.
Raised ball,  high, stepping, et al. - yeah.
Like an NCAA supervisor said during a camp: If you're going to make them a criminal, make them a felon.
Just raising the ball: i got bigger fish to fry.