Author Topic: sunglasses  (Read 22916 times)

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
Re: sunglasses
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 12:27:41 PM »
Our association allows goatees, mustaches as long as they are kept neat, full beards are a different story
I myself cant grow a beard because 1. is mine grows in patchy, and 2 I am a fulltime fighter and beard are not allowed they interfere with SCBA mask seal

I don't mind crew members that have neatly trimmed beard during the regular season as long as they know that it must be shaved off if we get a State Final

I am guessing the problem come with guy that have (for us old enough to remember) Grizzly Adams or Duck Dynasty type beards     
do or do not there is no try

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 10:28:54 PM »
If they help you see better, wear them. That would typically only apply closer to the noon hour or if an official is looking into the sun.

In college, appearance becomes more of a priority because of the television, at least at the D1 level.

In St Pete/Clearwater we had no problem with wearing sunglasses until the sun set.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
I saw a D1 wing on a tv game wearing shades this past Saturday afternoon, don't remember which game.  It isn't usual by any means.

As to the other elements, and this may have to do with the declining number of officials, I've had guys in my group sporting beards like Grizzly Adams since the Duck Dynasty craze, I'm seeing tattoos not covered anymore, and a new kid this year is still sporting his ponytail since he joined this summer.  Since I came up when all that was considered a no-no, I'm conflicted.  I really don't like it but I've heard none of the guys older than me saying anything about it so I've kept my peace.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
Sunglasses are still not allowed in our organization. However, white knickers are still an option. Maybe we're an 'old school' organization?

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 01:04:51 AM »
At one point football officials didn't wear hats. At some point they decided to join the 20th Century and began wearing them sometime after World War II. At one point baseball umpires wouldn't be caught dead wearing sunglasses, now it is common. Why? BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE BETTER! DUH! In our association sunglasses are permitted except for Varsity games. This only affects the rare Varsity Saturday afternoon game. This policy is strictly for appearance. 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »
I want to work with officials who hustle, communicate, study the rules, strive to get better, care about the players and the game, and have fun.  I don't care if they wear sunglasses, have beards, or have false teeth.

Sounds reasonable.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
NFL officials wearing sunglasses for Titans at Jacksonville. 😎

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2018, 07:22:16 PM »
Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With the glass so dark they won't even know your name
And the choice is up to you cause they come in two classes
Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses.

For what it's worth, Billy Gibbons wears a beard too.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »
NFL BJ wearing sunglasses in Tampa today.

Offline the clown

• FAN REACTION: +7/-19
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 09:55:51 PM »
I can remember a few years back a 400lb official telling a slim neatly trimmed bearded new official how unprofessional he looked...

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 08:50:55 AM »
I can remember a few years back a 400lb official telling a slim neatly trimmed bearded new official how unprofessional he looked...

Now I'll hear people telling me that SOME sunglasses look professional, but OTHERS do not.

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
Are sub varsity games less important than varsity games?  I for one, believe that officials should approach all games with the same professionalism no matter the age of the participants.  Those games are just as important to those athletes.  If officials handled all games with the upmost professionalism, then we might have fewer problems with coaches and parents on the sub varsity contests. 

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »
At one point football officials didn't wear hats. At some point they decided to join the 20th Century and began wearing them sometime after World War II.
I am not aware of any time or era where football officials did not wear some type of hat.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 05:22:49 PM »
Are sub varsity games less important than varsity games?  I for one, believe that officials should approach all games with the same professionalism no matter the age of the participants.  Those games are just as important to those athletes.  If officials handled all games with the upmost professionalism, then we might have fewer problems with coaches and parents on the sub varsity contests.
I agree that we should be professionals. I highly doubt it would matter to some coaches and/or parents. Some officials are unprofessional and some coaches/parents are fools. The two are not dependent upon one another. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »
When you get to the NFL,  you can wear sunglasses.....until then, not on my crew.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
When you get to the NFL,  you can wear sunglasses.....until then, not on my crew.

We should all get a little bit more informed.  Read the available literature about eye protection and the need to wear sunglasses to prevent damage to the eyes from repeated extended periods of bright sunlight (ie: 40-50 game a season during sunlight hours).  This is especially critical as we age (over 40).  The damage that excessive bright sun can do to eyes is irreversible so get educated.  And as a side benefit we can actually see better on a bright sunny day when wearing a quality pair of sunglasses.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 07:56:14 AM »

Completely agree with NVFOA_Ump's comments.

The issue isn't (usually) the sun, it's often reflected glare off the field surface. The NFL changed their policy on this about a decade ago (there was an article in Referee magazine about it IIRC) based on feedback from their officials on the problems this was causing at certain stadiums e.g. those ones where there might be a lot of snow lying around on the sidelines.

As someone with quite bad photophobia, I always carry a pair of plain black Oakleys in my kit bag. I've worn them less than half a dozen times in over 500 games, but I'll never travel without them just in case I turn up to a field which is more sand than grass (not that uncommon in the Uk) or (less likely for me) snow covered.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Peter Parsons, I hope you find it both interesting and informative.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2018, 08:33:56 AM »
I am not aware of any time or era where football officials did not wear some type of hat.

1902 Michigan-Minnesota game. Notice the official in a White Jacket and no hat

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:59 AM »

1902 Michigan-Minnesota game. Notice the official in a White Jacket and no hat
Looking at the field conditions, I don't believe his white jacket will remain white for very long! Sometime later this century young  z^ will be looking at pics of our era and say : "WOW, they used to wear knickers like George Washington!!"  :)

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
Two thoughts:

1 - how in the world did he tell the teams apart from each other?
2 - much have been great not to have coaches yelling "Can I get a number?" after every foul

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2018, 01:13:48 PM »
I wonder if he had a shoe contract?

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 02:07:36 PM »
Maybe I'm missing the boat - which is quite possible.
I'm not understanding the 'no beards' for working HS games.

i'm clean-shaved but it seems it's awfully restrictive for these days/times when 1-beards are OK for professional, conservative businesses (banking, insurance, securities); 2-guys are not DoD or first responders - who have these restrictions (although I do see deputies here with tattoos up their arms).

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
How do we feel about tattoos being visible on officials arms, neck, etc?  More and more younger officials have visible tatoos.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2018, 03:16:20 PM »
How do we feel about tattoos being visible on officials arms, neck, etc?  More and more younger officials have visible tatoos.
Maybe I'm missing the boat - which is quite possible.
I'm not understanding the 'no beards' for working HS games.

I can show you this play on HUDL. Team A is at the B 10. They throw a pass to the 5, which is intercepted and returned 95 yards for a TD. Player who intercepted zig zagged some but not a lot. My LJ beat the kid to the goal line. He has been to the state finals 3 of the past 4 years, once with me and twice picked up by WHs who were ranked #1 in our association but needed to fill out their crew. He studies, communicates with players and coaches very well, and mentors the HL who works across from him. He has a beard and a tattoo though, so maybe I should look for a replacement? hEaDbAnG

I’m 60, clean shaven, tat-free, old and slow. I don’t want 4 other guys just like me on my crew.  Given the nationwide shortage of officials, we need to do everything we can to bring new people into our ranks. Punishing them for not being or looking “just like us” is not a wise move.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:22:46 PM by FLAHL »