Author Topic: sunglasses  (Read 22914 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: sunglasses
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2018, 02:24:36 PM »
This reminds me of when my state started allowing us to wear shoes with "some" white on them.   Some guys were dead set against it and stuck with the all blacks.  Their argument was that the "some white" shoes looked "sloppy an unprofessional". 

I mean no disrespect by saying this but this seems to be a generational divide.

There is a guy on my crew who insists on wearing all-black shoes, even though the rest of us have "some" white on ours. He is also the youngest guy on our crew. He also has sleeve tats on both arms. He doesn't wear sunglasses though.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2018, 03:41:25 PM »
Well it did not get locked prior to going over.

I win, I win!!!!!

aWaRd
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +9/-11
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2018, 08:10:22 PM »
This reminds me of when my state started allowing us to wear shoes with "some" white on them.   Some guys were dead set against it and stuck with the all blacks.  Their argument was that the "some white" shoes looked "sloppy an unprofessional". 

I don’t think it’s the same thing. Shoe standards, overall, have relaxed as people realize that allowing white trim leaves officials many more options that work the best for their feet. Additionally white trim looks good with the white stripe on the pants.

Grooming standards haven’t relaxed nearly as much. I don’t work college football currently, but I can attest that if you show up to a college basketball hiring camp with white or gray trim on your shoes, it probably won’t be an issue as long as you can officiate. But if you show up to camp with a beard or an armful or tattoos, you’re not getting hired. Period.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »
While we have covered an official from his nose ( 8] sunglasses  8]) to his toes (shoes) ,we have yet to discuss his most important part...HIS BRAIN yEs: !!

PS : Congrats to Etref for taking us into unchartered territory. Sorta' like Roger Maris's 61 home run or Jeff Banester's  4 minute mile !

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »
  I had a beard when I officiated my first game, 46 years ago. 

I still wear all black shoes though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:54:28 PM by refjeff »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2018, 10:08:56 AM »
While we have covered an official from his nose ( 8] sunglasses  8]) to his toes (shoes) ,we have yet to discuss his most important part...HIS BRAIN yEs: !!

PS : Congrats to Etref for taking us into unchartered territory. Sorta' like Roger Maris's 61 home run or Jeff Banester's  4 minute mile !

Actually Ralph, if you will look at the Classics forum we had several over 200 replies.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »

The all-black shoes look orthopedic.

But I see why states have that mandate.  Because then you get to the point where it's "how much white is too much"?  They want to avoid that debate.  It also ensures everyone's shoes look basically the same.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »
Certainly could be mistaken, but I thought the purpose of wearing a "Uniform" was to actually all look alike, and in our circumstance be clearly distinguishable from the other participants occupying the playing field.

At higher (far more commercial) levels there seems to be a serious perception that standardizing, and highlighting, certain brands of apparel (including footwear) offers considerable commercial marketing advantage, albeit to a relatively small segment of the overall viewing audience, that might well be concerned and influenced by the "orthopedic" value of the offerings.

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2018, 02:06:39 PM »
I found this while looking around for the elements that distinguish a job from a profession.

Like it or not, you are being judged by how you look, how you dress, and how you carry yourself—and, if you’re lucky, how you do your job.

I had lunch yesterday with an old friend. I’ve known him for over 30 years. In fact, he introduced me to my wife. Unfortunately, we don’t see each other very often and hadn’t sat down across the table from each other for several years.

Let me preface what I’m about to say with, “I’m comfortable with my jeans and sneakers.”

Dave is a corporate attorney. He entered the restaurant immaculately dressed, although he wasn’t wearing a tie. I was dressed as I usually am (I did wear what I thought was a nice button-up shirt—it was even tucked in). Dave hasn’t changed much since we knew each other in our early twenties, while I am decidedly more rotund, sporting gray hair and a nearly white beard. He could pass for 10 years younger than me, although he’s actually a couple of years my senior (it must be all the time he wastes at the gym).

As we left the restaurant together I made an off-handed comment about how I appreciated that he got “all dressed up” to have lunch with me. He didn’t miss a beat, “I guess I just take our friendship more seriously than you do.”

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2018, 04:22:36 PM »
I'll beat the dead horse:

This is available online on several websites -

The longer the eyes are exposed to solar radiation, the greater the risk of developing cataracts or macular degeneration later in life. It is not clear how much exposure to solar radiation will cause damage. Therefore, whenever you spend time outdoors, wear quality sunglasses that offer UV protection and a hat or cap with a wide brim. Also, certain contact lenses can provide additional UV protection.
To provide adequate protection for your eyes, sunglasses should:
•   block out 99 to 100 percent of both UV-A and UV-B radiation;
•   screen out 75 to 90 percent of visible light;
•   have lenses that are perfectly matched in color and free of distortion and imperfection; and
•   have lenses that are gray for proper color recognition.
If you participate in potentially eye-hazardous outdoor work or sports, your sunglass lenses should be made from polycarbonate or Trivex® material. These lenses provide the most impact resistance.

If you spend a lot of time outdoors in bright sunlight, consider wearing wraparound frames for additional protection from the harmful solar radiation.

I'm there and have both.  My schedule always had 40-50 games in the afternoons, many with bright sun.  Get educated.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2018, 05:50:26 PM »
Yikes!   My annual eye test show no macular degeneration, but I do have "age appropriate" cataracts.  I have worn a hate outdoors for a long time, but I don't wear sunglasses as much as I used to.  I might have to rethink that, and maybe get some prescription shades. 8]

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2018, 06:35:07 PM »
Hey guys.....I don't care what U wear. Wear a clown suit and blow a kazoo if that floats your boat. My point is that you have chosen to be something bigger than yourself; a football official. Don't tell me that part of the reason you have chosen that profession has nothing to do with the respect you receive while in "uniform"! The key is "uniform". I'm a retired military flyer. We wear sunglasses, but they are "uniform". Same frame, non-polarized, etc. If you don't like the limitations of the current uniform just get your association to change the standards for items of dress, tattoos, haircuts, etc. If you want to be respected as part of a profession you are asked to give up some individual liberties....while involved in that profession. How you dress in your private life is your business. The problem is when an individual takes it upon himself to "draw the line" on what is acceptable for that profession. Being an official is a profession....not just a job. It sounds to me that some of you want to keep your individual freedoms while garnering the benefits of being a member of a respected, although much maligned, profession. 

Uniforms change as do standards. In the military you still are required to wear an approved uniform, standard eyewear, have a haircut within standards, etc. Tattoos that are visible were once a no/no, but that standard has eased. The point is that the limits still remain a defined standard.

The question really is what individual freedoms are you willing to give up to be a member of the profession you have chosen. If you don't like the standard get your organization to change the guidelines. It's not the glasses, the stripes, the haircut, the tattoos. It's the idea that you are a professional. The fans expect and respect that. Want to stop a play......carry an air horn. That whistle is so.......yesterday.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2018, 08:03:24 AM »

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2018, 10:25:16 AM »

That's me, I hate all the white that I see on shoes. But then again, I am an old stick in the mud.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »

Actually Ralph, if you will look at the Classics forum we had several over 200 replies.
After further review....Classics forum's top topic was :
               ARKANSAS-VANDY EJECTION PLAY
               LAST POST : NOVEMBER  2011

Many Classics had many views, but the above was the only one I saw with 100+ post.

White on shoes : You may notice that on this year's Officials Manual we relented and modified the statement on shoes to :

"Shoes MAY have SOME white on them...."

EVEN WHILE "SUNGLASSES" HASN'T QUITE REACHED THE POPULARITY OF A 7 YEAR OLD EJECTION, WE ARE STILL POSTING IN
                  RARE AIR

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »
For what it's worth:
NCAA volleyball finals this weekend - official had a forearm tattoo.
Cheers.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2018, 02:19:09 PM »
Just when I thought the thread had died. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk