Author Topic: Crazy on field injuries...  (Read 19909 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Crazy on field injuries...
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:45:47 PM »
I'm sure we've all had the tweaked ankles, stepped on toes, and pulled muscles.  I still have a scar on my ring finger above my wedding band from about 7-8 years ago when a coach accidentally backed into me coming off the field after a TO.  The metal finger whistle I was wearing took a nice divot out.

Last night I had an A player run out of bounds.  As I'm trying to kill the clock, a B player pulls up alongside of me and on my downward motion my left hand knocks into the kids helmet.  We use extended fists to signal to the opposite wing a 7 man line.  I had to sort of just lamely extend my hand the rest of the game.   

Today I've got a nifty bruise above my little finger.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
Re: Crazy on field injuries...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »
I once slipped on the field and fell on top of a cheerleader.

Some that know me say slip in air quotes.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »
OK, I'll bite - how did you end up on a cheerleader?  Was she on the field?

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »
OK, I'll bite - how did you end up on a cheerleader?  Was she on the field?

I was just joking...     perhaps wishful thinking.   >:D

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »
Ah.  It's been a long day... :)

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 11:56:13 AM »
Last night I had an A player run out of bounds.  As I'm trying to kill the clock, a B player pulls up alongside of me and on my downward motion my left hand knocks into the kids helmet. 

Been there done that, but only the once years ago. It hurt like a b****.

It is one of the things I teach my rookies before they even get out on the field, so they can learn from my pain! Make sure you keep your hands high when you signal stop the clock. There is no need to bring the arms any wider than 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. If you wave your arms to 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock then you're eventually gonna hit a helmet.
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

busman

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:37:53 PM »
One of the most painful injuries is getting stepped on, as we umpires do often.  Once, in a D@2game, a blitzing safety came by me on my left side.  Just at that time a back goes in motion to that side, so the safety planted his foot right on my instep to pivot and cut to his left.  The cleats literally ripped my shoelace apart.  I wanted to just sit down right there and cry.  And of course, they counter the fullback to the offside guard and he busts it right up the middle coming right at me, so now I've got to clear the area or get knocked on my butt.  Made for a long night.

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:57:43 PM »
I once had a B lineman step on my toes and a cleat on his heel went through the mesh on my shoes. Luckily it went between my toes and only left a hole in my shoe and sock. I went out the next day and bought shoes with fill leather uppers.

Offline eprov

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:51 AM »
Last yr working a JV game, I was on the wing covering the second half kickoff and as the runner took it up the sideline, and the defender was closing in to tackle him, I stopped to let them pass by. The runner was tackled out of bounds 5 yd in front of me. As I'm blowing and killing the clock, I got hit in the back of the knee by players chasing the play. ACL, MCl, patella tendens, tibia cracked, a job well done. AS the trainer helped my up to the bench one of the players said, "Way to go ref way to take a hit" I must admit it did bring a pained smile to my face. After a total knee replacement I'm back on the field with no regrets.   

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »
5-6 years ago in a playff game I was backjudging and I had an pass deep enough I was covering but outside the hash.  I was moving over to cover and stopped to signal incomplete pass when WHAM a kid who apparently hadn't looked or hadn't expected me to stop hit me with his helmet in the back of the head as he attempted to lunge to get by me at the last second.  Still not quite sure how it happened but a helmet to the back of the bare head definitely disrupts your incomplete signal and means a thumper of a headache for the rest of the game! 

jjseikel

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »
5-6 years ago in a playff game I was backjudging and I had an pass deep enough I was covering but outside the hash.  I was moving over to cover and stopped to signal incomplete pass when WHAM a kid who apparently hadn't looked or hadn't expected me to stop hit me with his helmet in the back of the head as he attempted to lunge to get by me at the last second.  Still not quite sure how it happened but a helmet to the back of the bare head definitely disrupts your incomplete signal and means a thumper of a headache for the rest of the game! 

Did you flag him for illegal helmet contact?   ;)

Big-Tee

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »

Sounds like somebody was out of position

Offline lawdog

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
Sounds like somebody was out of position

HOW?  5 man crew bj never goes outside the hash during the play and never has anyone behind them during the play.  Play flows that way you move that way and cover your area and don't let anyone behind you.  Pass incomplete, signal it and kid is running down field and runs past me and that happens.  Who is out of position?  I wasn't...

jjseikel

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:51:19 AM »
5 man crew bj never goes outside the hash during the play..

Is this a local mandate? Just curious.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
This season the H on my crew cut his finger some kind of way either on a TD or the try and it was still bleeding prior to the kickoff so he took an official's timeout, slipped onto the sideline for a minute had the trainer put a band-aid on it and then stepped back on the field.

The coach on the opposite sideline says to the L - "Wait a minute - he took a timeout - doesn't he need to sit out a play?"
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline lawdog

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »
Is this a local mandate? Just curious.

I don't think so.  It is the way our crews are told to do it but I've also been to clinics with other HS officials from different areas, collegiate officials and state high school league guys as clinicians who have taught the same thing.  It by the way is not like a hard and fast rule you can't step one foot across the hash, but that's the basic area to not get wider than.

jjseikel

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
I don't think so.  It is the way our crews are told to do it but I've also been to clinics with other HS officials from different areas, collegiate officials and state high school league guys as clinicians who have taught the same thing.  It by the way is not like a hard and fast rule you can't step one foot across the hash, but that's the basic area to not get wider than.

Our Back Judge will always start between the hash marks, but he moves outside them when the play dictates, especially if there's an area of joint jurisdiction that requires his assistance. An example would be on a long pass in a deep side zone, most notably when the goal line is threatened.

Big-Tee

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
HOW?  5 man crew bj never goes outside the hash during the play and never has anyone behind them during the play.  Play flows that way you move that way and cover your area and don't let anyone behind you.  Pass incomplete, signal it and kid is running down field and runs past me and that happens.  Who is out of position?  I wasn't...

if your so close to the play that the players runs into you when you stop unexpectedly means you probably werent deep enough. Just my opinion

Shoottv

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 08:00:45 PM »
Working a game about mid year this year. After 6+ inches fo rain for the week the small school's grass field is in less then impressive shape. However the visitors had traveled about 5 hours for the game. So we agreed to play it but at one end between the 40 and the 20 we would always set to the visitor's hash.

3rd quarter with a run to my side I end up about 2 yard out of bounds and expect the pile to end at my feet. However the DB dives and hydroplanes his body and helmet straight into my right shin at full speed. I go down really hard and just know that his helmet has broken my tibia. I still think is says Rydell on my leg. After a quarter of ice to reduce swelling I'm able to continue with new socks.

Now here is the epilogue. I had gotten hit so hard in my right leg I never noticed that my left foot didn't come out of the mud as I got hit. Turns out that I broke 2 bones in my left foot. I realized it the next day doing a kid's game when my foot turned the most remarkable shade of purple. It turns out the pain from the bruise on my right shin masked the pain from the broken bone.
Ended my season early this year.

TheStrippedOne

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
Didnt happen to me but a local game between Peterborough and Cambridge daugher was working LJ on sweep to her sideline player broke free and heading into open field towards Peterboroughs goal line LJ in perfect position trailing him when a crutch came out of nowhere and hit her in the head, she steps into the field shakes her head drops a flag and then set off in hot pursuit of the ball carrier. Was not far behind when he crossed the goal line either. Plays blown dead she reports the incident to the whitehat then walks over to the sideline, the players part and an injured player who broke his ankle the week before is stood there looking very sheepish as she goes onto explain to him what she thinks of him. Seems he was hopping around on one leg cheering on his brother the ball carrier when he hit her with one of his crutches.

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »
Only thing hurt was my pride.. My first game as a White hat. Have to do a measurement its a close game and I wanna do this right so I wanna make sure I get it right.  The chains come out the back judge is holding the ball so it doesn't move. I am standing on the wrong side of him and it is close I mean credit card close.  I cant get a clear view because of the back judges arm. So i start to move to the other side of the ball but never taking my eye of of it. Big mistake because as I was moving I failed to notice the back judges leg that was sticking out because he had a knee on the ground. I trip over his leg falling fast and hard face first into the ground.. First time and last time both teams cheered something i did on the field.  btw it was a  "FIRST DOWN".  deadhorse:
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

harrell12

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »
Our Back Judge will always start between the hash marks, but he moves outside them when the play dictates, especially if there's an area of joint jurisdiction that requires his assistance. An example would be on a long pass in a deep side zone, most notably when the goal line is threatened.
I know you said it wasn't a "hard and fast" rule but I almost NEVER end up there after the play unless the play itself ends between the hashes.  When the play is over, I move in yelling things like "plays over, plays over" or "that's it, that's it" and if the play ends out of bounds, I'm busting my butt to get wrong colored jersey's out of there.  I work sideline to sideline all the while keeping all players in front of me.  Needless to say, I'm one tired puppy when the game's over.   :o

Big-Tee

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
I know you said it wasn't a "hard and fast" rule but I almost NEVER end up there after the play unless the play itself ends between the hashes.  When the play is over, I move in yelling things like "plays over, plays over" or "that's it, that's it" and if the play ends out of bounds, I'm busting my butt to get wrong colored jersey's out of there.  I work sideline to sideline all the while keeping all players in front of me.  Needless to say, I'm one tired puppy when the game's over.   :o
exactly !!!

fbrefga

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 08:02:17 PM »
Only 4 minutes into a D2 game this past season as FJ, I felt and heard a pop in my left knee.  I knew I had torn some cartilage, as I had my right knee scoped several years prior for a torn meniscus.  I did not want anyone to know I was hurting.  I completed the game; had a great time and grimaced the entire 3 hour drive home.  That was one of the most physically painful games I ever worked.  Happy to say that my orthopedic surgeon did a wonderful job.  I can start running next week to get back in shape for Spring scrimmages. 

Offline southarkumpire

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
 JV game couple of years ago in neighboring town.  Penalty time out.  As we the crew are sorting out the enforcement, offending team, etc...the ball boy runs on the field and replaces ball with umpire.  White Hat turns to press box to announce penalty...he gives the penalty signal and as he points to the offending team....guess who runs into his arm? Yes..the local ball boy.  Perfect "clothes line" tackle by the White Hat...knocks the kid straight to the ground....breaking his glasses and cutting his nose.  I am now standing on the field looking at the kid...and the famous line from The Longest Yard hits me..."I think he broke his freaking neck!".....Kid was OK, but pride was severely wounded...