Author Topic: Change of Venue  (Read 6388 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Change of Venue
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:21:42 AM »
We might end up having to send a check in for working a game there instead of getting a check.  ;D

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/02/09/contract-houstons-nrg-stadium-show-uils-change-venue-state-football-championship-costly-one

Unfortunate  the NRG folks could not find a way to have kept the cost down. From a business perspective, this could come back to haunt them for future negotiations.  I am not saying they should have done it out of the goodness of their heart but it was a public school event. 

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: Change of Venue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:15:38 AM »
Although not nearly as nice, I am quite sure the Alamodome would be the least expensive option.  Since the city of SA owns it, they might even be able to work a deal for no usage fee.  It holds 67K, so it is plenty big. 

Offline joelw83

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • It doesn't have to be pretty, but it must be right
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:29 AM »
I think the problem with San Antonio is the cost and availability of rooms.

And to defend Jerry, everyone (in Dallas) said he is getting rich by letting the schools use the stadium.  I'm pretty sure for $150,000 it is close to break even.  What this doesn't mention is the parking and concession fees.  I'm sure that adds up to $1M in additional revenue.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »
I think the problem with San Antonio is the cost and availability of rooms.

And to defend Jerry, everyone (in Dallas) said he is getting rich by letting the schools use the stadium.  I'm pretty sure for $150,000 it is close to break even.  What this doesn't mention is the parking and concession fees.  I'm sure that adds up to $1M in additional revenue.

You're right about the rooms, but that's IF you stay downtown.  There are plenty of hotels and lots of availability if you don't stay close to the Dome, downtown, and cost is much less if you head to the north side of town.

Jerry is making money, make no mistake.  He wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 12:23:39 PM »
He does but not much......

His big deal is name recognition. Think how many of these kids want to come back to ATT/Texas Stadium and visit where they played (bringing friends and family). Amounts to a lot of bucks over the years.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 01:11:21 PM »
He does but not much......

His big deal is name recognition. Think how many of these kids want to come back to ATT/Texas Stadium and visit where they played (bringing friends and family). Amounts to a lot of bucks over the years.

Smart marketing, for sure.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
The main issue I have heard about Alamodome is it can't handle having 2 teams playing with 2 more getting ready to play.  Not enough locker room space supposedly. 

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Change of Venue
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
I know the recent SA all star game that was played after the US Army All American Bowl, the second game teams had dressing facilities at the dome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TXMike

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 04:35:29 AM »
They have meeting rooms so maybe they made some of those dressing rooms for the day.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 06:56:37 AM »
In NC, we use NC State, UNC, and Wake Forest's BB&T Stadium for our 8 games.  They play one game on Friday night at UNC and the two on Saturday, normally.  The other two sites host 3 games on Saturday.

Duke was in the mix for a few years but dropped out.

With as many major universities as Texas has, seems like they could find plenty of sites.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 07:17:15 AM »
For good or bad, the decision has been made it will be an indoor venue.   There are 3 available.  Don't expect that caveat to go away anytime soon. The state athletic association is part of the U of Texas system so there would be lots of motivation to use that stadium except for the fact it is outdoors

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 12:50:07 PM »
Hey you know the Astrodome is just sitting there.  :sTiR:

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
Hey you know the Astrodome is just sitting there.  :sTiR:
I bet you can get use of it cheap, too.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 10:27:19 PM »
Any suggestion that Houston was anything BUT a one-year deal is now out the window for good.

Houston isn't a very good location anyway. Dallas is 5 hours or less away from about 80 percent of Texas. Even West Texas teams playing in the morning on the first day can get a decent percentage of fans to get up early and come to the game.

I still can't understand why you build an indoor football facility with fewer than 4 large dressing rooms. Or put medium sized dressing rooms that can open up and become 2 large. I've seen some pretty cramped dressing rooms at large schools throughout the state. The players can manage.