Author Topic: When does your season start?  (Read 4497 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
When does your season start?
« on: August 02, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »
Just curious to hear when the season starts for other parts of the country.  We have a Kickoff Classic on Aug 16 and the regular season starts on Aug 23.  The Classic doesn't count as part of the school's official record or have any impact on playoff rankings.  Three games before Labor Day in the heat & humidity down here, but that's how the schedule comes together in order to finish all state championship games before Christmas.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
Re: When does your season start?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:55:24 AM »
Just curious to hear when the season starts for other parts of the country.  We have a Kickoff Classic on Aug 16 and the regular season starts on Aug 23.  The Classic doesn't count as part of the school's official record or have any impact on playoff rankings.  Three games before Labor Day in the heat & humidity down here, but that's how the schedule comes together in order to finish all state championship games before Christmas.
The same on the start of the season.  (12 weeks to play 10)
Schools are allowed one, or in some cases two, scrimmage against another team before the start of the season.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »
In Ohio the 10 week regular season begins Friday, August 30.  (Some schools will open on Thursday.)

In addition each high school team is allowed two scrimmages, which is a practice and must have some modification to game rules.

Each school is also allowed one "Jamboree."  A Jamboree is a preseason game and must follow game rules.  It requires a $250 fee paid to the state athletic association for their Catastrophic Insurance Fund.

Offline markrischard

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »
First games are Aug 30 in Oklahoma. 11 weeks to play 10.

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »
Scrimmages start next week in SC. Games start 8/23

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »
Wisconsin - Scrimmages 8/16.  Season starts 8/23, 9 weeks to play 9 games.  Season starts with short sleeves and some crews wear shorts.  Season ends with long sleeves, long pants, long underwear, parkas and snow shoes  :laugh:

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 11:40:41 AM »
Scrimmage Aug. 16. Regular season starts on the 23rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 12:55:02 PM »
Indiana - Practice starts next week. Intrasquad scrimmages (usually officiated) August 9-10. Intersquad scrimmages with set play groups August 16. First game August 23-24. 9 week regular season. 6 week playoff. All timed to be done Thanksgiving weekend for state finals at Lucas Oil Stadium. This year is starting a week later due to the late Thanksgiving.

Online bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
8/23 in Alabama.  11 weeks to play 10. First week can be a non-counting jamboree, but very few schools choose that option.

The 5-week playoff tournament begins on 11/8.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 07:51:36 AM »
Unlike in my HS days, teams pretty much practice all summer now.  Most schools participate in 7v7 drills, linemen competition, and team camps at colleges.  Official practice began 8/1 in NC and they may scrimmage on the 10th day.

We have been starting Week 1 about the middle of August but this year it got pushed back to August 23rd.  Playoff week 1 begins November 15th.
That gives us 12 weeks to play 10 games.  Schools have the option to play an eleventh "endowment game" where they share the gate with the state endowment fund.  It was popular 10 years or so ago but seems to be fading a bit in our area at least.  Some years, based on the calendar, a team playing an endowment game was playing 11 straight weeks with no open date.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 12:42:36 PM »
Unlike in my HS days, teams pretty much practice all summer now.  Most schools participate in 7v7 drills, linemen competition, and team camps at colleges.  Official practice began 8/1 in NC and they may scrimmage on the 10th day.

We have been starting Week 1 about the middle of August but this year it got pushed back to August 23rd.  Playoff week 1 begins November 15th.
That gives us 12 weeks to play 10 games.  Schools have the option to play an eleventh "endowment game" where they share the gate with the state endowment fund.  It was popular 10 years or so ago but seems to be fading a bit in our area at least.  Some years, based on the calendar, a team playing an endowment game was playing 11 straight weeks with no open date.

Teams in our state finals play 15 straight weeks, 16 if you count the intersquad scrimmages before the season starts. There are a couple classes with a bye week in the first round. Crews working the finals work 16 straight weeks. In the tournament you work every weeks as long as you are advancing.

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
Endowment games 8/16.

Regular season starts following week.

In Utah.

Offline hef333

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
PA All scrimmages Saturday August 17th....season begins August 23rd....last regular season game Oct 25th...playoffs begin November 1st.

sNiCkErS

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 12:47:56 PM »
In Maine, my season begins this Sunday night with a series of four clinics around the state. Scrimmages are ran through the following week with exhibition games on 8/24. Regular season begins on 8/30 and run for 8 weeks to be followed by a 4 week post season. You are considered a sissy if you wear long-sleeved shirts during September!

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »
Lol. Around her you are considered a sissy if you wear long sleeve before DECEMBER.

Offline bucbloc

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 01:13:28 PM »
IN NJ the season starts w/o 9/6 which is designated week zero. Eight regular season weeks follow and the playoffs start week of Nov 8.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 02:00:27 PM »
Lol. Around her you are considered a sissy if you wear long sleeve before DECEMBER.

What are "long sleeves"?   8]

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »

Season starts August 23 here.

And around here you have two sets of uniform because when it is over 100 degrees and no breeze, you need to change at halftime. I still have all my cold weather and rain gear from when I was in Ohio, but never had to break out any of it in the 6 years I have been here.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 11:37:59 AM »
Lol

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »

A few years ago I had a game in Payson, AZ which is at a higher elevation. The temperature was in the mid 50s, My native Arizonan crew members protested that they wanted to wear long sleeves. I prevailed, short sleeves it was. It was the first game that I had here that actually felt like "football" weather.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 08:19:22 PM »
In California, games start on 8/23 which is designated week 0. 10 games in 11 weeks. 4 weeks of playoffs end with section finals. After section finals, one week of regionals followed by state finals. If a team makes it to state they end up with a 16 game seasons, preparing them to play in the NFL.

We have scrimmages starting tonight 8/8. All officials are required to work one scrimmage during the next 2 weeks.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
Illinois starts with scrimmages (single team only) on August 23 (a few on Saturday the 24th). Since the Friday night scrimmages are for show/parents/grandparents/kids and use vanilla schemes a few schools invite officials to a practice the week prior so they can get feedback on their true playbook.

Regular season opens up Friday August 30 and runs for 9 weeks.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 02:53:08 PM »
January to January.   :)