Author Topic: Strength of Formation  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Strength of Formation
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »
Would like to get thoughts regarding recognition of the real strength of a formation - which can be helpful in officials' anticipation, positioning, and movement at the snap.

I've read many ideas (side of tight end/number of "eligibles" on one side of center/etc); but is there REALLY a technique or method of identification?

Especially interested in any coaches' thoughts. 

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Strength of Formation
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:02:59 AM »
Our rules:

1.  TE side unless there are 3 receivers wide on one side
2.  If a balanced set, the wide side of the field
3.  If a balanced set and in middle of the field, strength is the QB's throwing arm side

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »
Our rules:

3.  If a balanced set and in middle of the field, strength is the QB's throwing arm side

Thanks AB.

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »
Our rules:

Your third point is a very good concept.  Most mechanics manuals I've seen don't really address this, and the addendums I've seen from various college mechanics usually progress from strong side to wide side to Line Judge side.  I think your third progression makes more sense.

Offline BoBo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »
Are you looking at strengths of field from a BJ positions?

I would say a B strengths (threats) may differ somewhat.

The B has to be aware of two receiver side of the field, or in some cases the multiple receiver side of the field so he can help his wing man.

If balanced then I agree in high school favor the throwing arm side of the field. In some cases the wide side of the field.

ppaltice

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »
Your third point is a very good concept.  Most mechanics manuals I've seen don't really address this, and the addendums I've seen from various college mechanics usually progress from strong side to wide side to Line Judge side.  I think your third progression makes more sense.

The LJ side part trickles down from 7 man mechanics when the LJ stays on the LOS to rule on passes crossing the NZ.

My experience is that if you have equal strength and in the center of the field, the most important thing is to have a mechanic that communicates who is your key (shifting position, angling your body, etc.)  Just pick a side and communicate.