Football Officiating > National Federation Discussion

Holder question

(1/3) > >>

SCHSref:
We seemed to have a spirited discussion on what is a holder and how this affords him protection in a scrimmage kick formation.

One voice said his knee was to be on the ground

The other voice said he didn't have to have his knee on the ground.

It was about roughing the holder and if he didn't have his knee on the ground, did this afford him protection.

Thoughts?

d0d0joe:
I'm not a rules expert, but with a question like this I would look at definitions. 2-32-7 defines a holder and I don't see anything in that definition about his knee.

SCHSref:
2-14-2a

dch:
Good thought to go to Rule 2. 
Sure enough a holder doesn't have to have his knee on the ground per 2-32.7. 
But --- a scrimmage kick formation (2-14 art 2.a) requires knee on the ground,7 yards deep and in position to be the holder.

Now what are we to do?  Better look at Rule 9.  Then the Case Book.
Can you have Roughing (or Running Into) the Kicker or Holder if they weren't in a legal scrimmage kick formation?  When do they become a kicker or holder?  When does protection begin?

CalhounLJ:

--- Quote from: dch on March 19, 2024, 10:44:23 AM ---Good thought to go to Rule 2. 
Sure enough a holder doesn't have to have his knee on the ground per 2-32.7. 
But --- a scrimmage kick formation (2-14 art 2.a) requires knee on the ground,7 yards deep and in position to be the holder.

Now what are we to do?  Better look at Rule 9.  Then the Case Book.
Can you have Roughing (or Running Into) the Kicker or Holder if they weren't in a legal scrimmage kick formation?  When do they become a kicker or holder?  When does protection begin?

--- End quote ---
1. You don't have to be in a scrimmage kick formation to get a roughing the kicker. A kicker is the person who has kicked the ball.

2. You don't have to be in a scrimmage kick formation to have roughing the holder. A holder is a player who is holding the ball on the ground or a kicking tee.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version