Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
National Federation Discussion / Re: Fair Catch
« Last post by ncwingman on March 29, 2024, 02:30:52 PM »
Just to play devil's advocate (not HFHS so I don't know the exact verbiage or details of that rulebook):

4/10 @A40.On a scrimmage kick, K86 shanks the ball high and short and straight ahead.  R45 signals for fair catch 10 yards downfield while running up to field the ball, and is positioned to catch the ball 3 yards behind the NZ at the A37. Big 'ol Bubba K76 impedes R45's attempt to catch the ball by knocking him to the ground while he is trying to make the catch, and makes obvious, intentional contact with the ball. K32 recovers the kick at the A35 and advances the ball to the EZ.

Ruling?

I had to read that one three times, but sczeebra is right. K gained possession of the ball behind the neutral zone, so they are allowed to recover and advance.

Restrictions on advancing the ball are only limited to R after a valid or invalid signal. K is not allowed to advance a kick recovered beyond the neutral zone under normal circumstances, the fair catch signal doesn't affect this.

Unrelated, but it's unclear which player made "obvious, intentional contact with the ball", but it actually doesn't matter. That has no bearing on this play.
« Last post by sczeebra on March 29, 2024, 01:35:40 PM »
Not according to the definition. 2-9-1.
« Last post by dammitbobby on March 29, 2024, 11:23:54 AM »
Doesn't the FC signal negate the possibility of the ball being advanced by either team?
« Last post by sczeebra on March 29, 2024, 10:07:35 AM »
TD.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Just another down to discuss
« Last post by GuilhermeCohen on March 29, 2024, 09:35:36 AM »

Totally correct. But always provide down/distance/location/time with answers. In this case: A, try, B-3, no clock (25), with succeeding K/O from A-20, OR A, try, B-18, no clock (25), and A90 has one added to his UNS counter.
I believe it was after the Peach Bowl in 2004 when Redding ‘interpreted’ such grasp/control/propelling of the ball by an airborne player to be “batting,” and not a pass, after the crew in that game ruled illegal forward pass. That eventually generated AR 7-3-6-VIII.

Do you have this clip or time stamp?
National Federation Discussion / Re: The new rule will........
« Last post by Ralph Damren on March 29, 2024, 06:57:31 AM »
Sorry, Gu5ys, on my slow esponse as I've been on vacation in sunny NC. Ole' Dell is a desktop and doesn't make road trips. I'm unaware of any experimental rules being applied for and I'm with you guys on waiting for the 'clairifications' on Rule 10.
« Last post by dammitbobby on March 28, 2024, 09:28:07 PM »
A fair catch must be executed in or beyond the neutral zone (6-5-2). K can catch or recover kicks beyond the neutral zone if they were first touched by an R player (6-2-4). I agree that K can advance on a kick caught or recovered in or behind the neutral zone.

However, if R makes a fair catch signal in the neutral zone, R must be afforded an unimpeded opportunity to make the catch. This constrains K's ability to catch and advance the scrimmage kick in the neutral zone.

In most scenarios, the fair catch will happen beyond the neutral zone, so it is rare that a back judge will have to rule on fair catches in the neutral zone. In that case, it will be the short wing who has to decide on that play.

Just to play devil's advocate (not HFHS so I don't know the exact verbiage or details of that rulebook):

4/10 @A40.On a scrimmage kick, K86 shanks the ball high and short and straight ahead.  R45 signals for fair catch 10 yards downfield while running up to field the ball, and is positioned to catch the ball 3 yards behind the NZ at the A37. Big 'ol Bubba K76 impedes R45's attempt to catch the ball by knocking him to the ground while he is trying to make the catch, and makes obvious, intentional contact with the ball. K32 recovers the kick at the A35 and advances the ball to the EZ.

Ruling?

« Last post by sczeebra on March 28, 2024, 05:13:29 PM »
Just to add a tag to this thread. If R chooses to put the ball in play with a snap after the fair catch and then call a timeout and want to kick the ball would this be allowed? Rule citation please.
« Last post by ilyazhito on March 28, 2024, 02:15:31 PM »
A fair catch must be executed in or beyond the neutral zone (6-5-2). K can catch or recover kicks beyond the neutral zone if they were first touched by an R player (6-2-4). I agree that K can advance on a kick caught or recovered in or behind the neutral zone.

However, if R makes a fair catch signal in the neutral zone, R must be afforded an unimpeded opportunity to make the catch. This constrains K's ability to catch and advance the scrimmage kick in the neutral zone.

In most scenarios, the fair catch will happen beyond the neutral zone, so it is rare that a back judge will have to rule on fair catches in the neutral zone. In that case, it will be the short wing who has to decide on that play.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]