Author Topic: First Down or Measure?  (Read 9537 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
First Down or Measure?
« on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:16 AM »
I had a play tonight and the coach didn't understand why I didn't meausure and I just wanted to see what everyone else does.  The game was played on a turf field and it was very well marked.  The drive started with the nose of the ball on the 30.  On 3rd down, a run is stopped with the nose of the ball touching the 40.  Ten yards right?  I didn't measure and signalled first down.  My thought was, if I am going to measure then that defeats the purpose of trying to start the series on a yard line.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Re: First Down or Measure?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:49:58 AM »
I agree with your thought process.  Turf field, no need to measure on this one.

The Ref Thats Lef

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:10:00 AM »
Jason

I agree with you that from where you placed the ball and where it ended up it is a first down. However a few thoughts to consider.

Not everyone starts the ball on a hash mark and so some will measure simply because they cannot be certain a first down has been achieved.

If it is really close can you be certain that the field manufacturers have stitched the lines in exactly 10 yards apart?

For ease of game management is it worth doing the first close measurement to get it out of the way so the next time you can say 'coach I measured the last time and we know the markings are spot on lets keep the game moving'. Why rile the coach up for he sake of one 20 second measurement?

Having said that if the demand for a measurement is part of a tactic to gain an advantage we make the call without the sticks coming on and move on.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 06:06:30 AM »
Jason

I agree with you that from where you placed the ball and where it ended up it is a first down. However a few thoughts to consider.

Not everyone starts the ball on a hash mark and so some will measure simply because they cannot be certain a first down has been achieved.

If it is really close can you be certain that the field manufacturers have stitched the lines in exactly 10 yards apart?

For ease of game management is it worth doing the first close measurement to get it out of the way so the next time you can say 'coach I measured the last time and we know the markings are spot on lets keep the game moving'. Why rile the coach up for he sake of one 20 second measurement?

Having said that if the demand for a measurement is part of a tactic to gain an advantage we make the call without the sticks coming on and move on.

Why not ask someone who's measured on this field before the accuracy of the dimensions and if they're good, you, and everyone else that uses your suggestion, wouldn't even need to do the measurement you speak of.

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:32:16 AM »
If the chains checked out prior to the game, starting from the back of any line, for major reference, a 5 yard mark, when the spot touches the LTG, first down.... Math is probably not the coaches strong point, like the coach I had to explain how half the distance worked, twice.

WABill

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »
I had a play tonight and the coach didn't understand why I didn't meausure and I just wanted to see what everyone else does.  The game was played on a turf field and it was very well marked.  The drive started with the nose of the ball on the 30.  On 3rd down, a run is stopped with the nose of the ball touching the 40.  Ten yards right?  I didn't measure and signalled first down.  My thought was, if I am going to measure then that defeats the purpose of trying to start the series on a yard line.

10 is 10.  Don't measure.  Next time, put the nose of the ball past the line on the initial spot.  Will show over 10, then have the umpire spot back on the line if you move the ball.  You can still spot the chains on the line.  Football spotting is not an inch perfect avocation - no need to assume precision that is not possible. 

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:32:33 AM »
JasonFor ease of game management is it worth doing the first close measurement to get it out of the way so the next time you can say 'coach I measured the last time and we know the markings are spot on lets keep the game moving'. Why rile the coach up for he sake of one 20 second measurement?

yEs:

Yep. Did that in a game last night. Obvious first down, asked defensive captain to look but offered measurement - he wanted the measure, ball-length past the 1st down marker. No more measurements for the rest of the game.

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
I had an opposite situation a few years ago.   4th down and the line to gain was nearly a full yard beyond the 5 yard mark.   The play ended nearly a yard behind the 5 yard mark.   A take a look and viewed it as a no-brainer (nearly 2 yards short), turn over on downs and pointed the other way.   "4th down" coach went berserk and demanded a measurement which I didn't grant (already had started moving the chains and it was so obvious that is was short).   Coach complained to Chapter Secretary and we had a big discussion on Monday meeting.   There was some sentiment that you ALWAYS grant the coach his measurement which I disagree with when it is obvious (1 1/2 - 2 yards short).   I think that sentiment is in line with you can't upset the coach because he might not pick you next time.

T.C. Welton

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »
To me this is a simple one one a very well marked field.  If I or any member of the crew have any  doubt wahtsoever, then we measure.  If we are all in agreement clearly one way or the other, then we measure.  Maybe I am a pain, but it is never up to the coach.  We started on a line, we made it to the next 10 yard line, first down, no measurement.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
Simple solution: ask a captain to take a look.

bacwood

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »
If you start on the 30 and they make it to the 40 it is a first down. You dont have to measure, consult with a captain,  or ask a coach what he thinks. Just move the chains and roll the clock.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »
To me, measuring in this situation on a turf field is just inviting more problems.  What if the clip is slightly off and now your stick comes down off the line?  What if the chains aren't exactly 10 yards?

Just say they made the line and go with it.  My experience is that once coaches have this explained there isn't an issue.

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 12:09:02 AM »
Simple solution: ask a captain to take a look.

So, you ask the captain and it's nearly 2 yards short and he asks for a measurement and you give it to him.  I don't think so.  A coach or captain will always want the measurement even if there is no way it is warrented.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 07:51:28 AM »
So, you ask the captain and it's nearly 2 yards short and he asks for a measurement and you give it to him.  I don't think so.  A coach or captain will always want the measurement even if there is no way it is warrented.

Only ask if its close, of course.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 06:00:34 PM »
You did it right Jason.  Keep spotting it on the mark and keep the game moving!!! ^good

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 10:00:21 PM »
On a well marked field? It's a first, move the chains and lets go - we're burnin' daylight.....
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 06:28:40 AM »
On a well-marked field, my general rule of thumb is that a good measurement must be within 2-3 inches.

On a grass community field, anything within a ball's length is a good measurement.