Author Topic: TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications  (Read 32942 times)

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
Re: TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
Send the pm my way. I think I know how to do it, but why not use someone else's experience

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »
Several guys have asked if they can use radios for JV games.  Any TASO policy that anyone can find that would not allow them in JV?

Offline dcref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »
jasontx,
 we as a chapter bought everyone a radio and plan to use at all games to improve communication on the field and to use as training on the field during sub-varsity

Offline Back Judge

• Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
Hey Greg, an official in Houston said i should contact you about the Beofeng 888s radios. I am looking to get them for onfield communications between our officials.  I am a HAM operator and the one thing I noticed is these are in the 70c band.  Would we be able to use these radios since the others don't have a license? The FRS is in the 462. range, can they be programed to not use the HAM freq? If we can, do you have a suggestion for what headset will work with them?  Sorry for the long reply.  Thanks for your help. ^TD

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »
Hey Greg, an official in Houston said i should contact you about the Beofeng 888s radios. I am looking to get them for onfield communications between our officials.  I am a HAM operator and the one thing I noticed is these are in the 70c band.  Would we be able to use these radios since the others don't have a license? The FRS is in the 462. range, can they be programed to not use the HAM freq? If we can, do you have a suggestion for what headset will work with them?  Sorry for the long reply.  Thanks for your help. ^TD

These TX from 400 to 470, so they can be programmed in the FRS range.  That's my suggestions. 

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2017, 12:32:45 PM »
Aren't FRS frequencies not secure? Is there a way to secure them?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »
Aren't FRS frequencies not secure? Is there a way to secure them?

Depends on the radio.  The Baofeng 888 has a scramble function (not be confused with privacy tone).  It can also be tuned to frequencies inside the FRS band but not exactly on a FRS frequency.  Also, TASO has approved numerous FRS radios, so apparently there is no concern about this.

Offline TexDoc

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
Retevis H-777 is identical to the Baofeng BF-888.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
Is a privacy key not sufficient?

I mean I got a set of the midland radios, and I get it...if someone happens to be on the same channel/privacy key combination, they could pick you up....but what is that likelihood?
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
Sooner or later some ambitious entrepreneur will say "hey, I can rent scanners out at football games." My race track scanners are programmable to every channel on a Midland radio.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:29:19 AM by Rulesman »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2017, 07:21:44 AM »
Is a privacy key not sufficient?

I mean I got a set of the midland radios, and I get it...if someone happens to be on the same channel/privacy key combination, they could pick you up....but what is that likelihood?

Calling a CTCSS tone a "privacy" tone is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.  Yes, absolutely, no doubt about it, anyone with a FRS radio can hear your transmission, even with a "privacy" tone.  All this tone does is open the squelch of the receiving radio when it hears a given tone and if that function is turned on.  If you have a FRS radio with no tone squelch turned on, you can hear anyone and everyone transmitting on that "channel," whether or not they are transmitting a tone.  So, if you're using one of those FRS radios, leave no doubt, people are listening. 

What that tone will help you do is minimize people trying to transmit and mess with you.  They can transmit and you won't hear it unless they are using the correct tone.  Finding the correct tone takes no more than a few minutes and any 12 year old can do it.  They will then not only listen to you, they will talk to you!

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
Sooner or later some ambitious entrepreneur will say "hey, I can rent scanners out at football games." My race track scanners are programmable to every channel on a Midland radio.
I foresee someone trolling young crews. 
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
Depends on the radio.  The Baofeng 888 has a scramble function (not be confused with privacy tone).  It can also be tuned to frequencies inside the FRS band but not exactly on a FRS frequency.  Also, TASO has approved numerous FRS radios, so apparently there is no concern about this.

A couple of question. If I program the radios between "standard" FRS frequency will people with radio with "standard" channels be able to put up our transmissions. Two, are we in danger of being walking on "reserved" frequencies that will get us in trouble.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
If I program the radios between "standard" FRS frequency will people with radio with "standard" channels be able to put up our transmissions.  >Do you mean, will they be able to hear you?  No. They might hear some weak occasional signals depending if the radio's bandwidth is set to wide instead of narrow. Regardless, they won't hear much. If the scramble mode is on you can transmit on the same frequency and they won't understand anything.  It will be garbled.

Two, are we in danger of being walking on "reserved" frequencies that will get us in trouble.  >Keep it within the FRS frequencies or mobile frequencies (you can get those from a Google search in the UHF band).  The latter frequencies would be the same as what you would get with expensive Motorola of Kenwood radios that we would have no problems transmitting on.  The large majority of public service entities are now utilizing digital transmission modes so we don't even have to worry about bothering them. 

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
To take the radio conversation in a different direction:

does anyone have advice for best methods/tips/tricks to weather-proof radios for the inevitable inclement weather game?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »
To take the radio conversation in a different direction:

does anyone have advice for best methods/tips/tricks to weather-proof radios for the inevitable inclement weather game?
Zip lock bags. Cut a small hole in the bottom of one and slip the bag over the antenna. You may need a piece of tape around the bad to hold it in place. Electrical tape works fine since it is waterproof.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 11:20:37 AM »
These are the pouches we use.  These have a loop that the official's belt goes through and a clip on top to keep the radio in place.  These work very well, instead of just relying on the radio clip, which can easily allow the radios to slip off the belt and go flying.  With these, it is very easy to put the radios in a freezer quart size ziplock bag and not have to worry about losing the radios.

https://www.amazon.com/MSC-20B-Multifunctional-Holster-Baofeng-Transceiver/dp/B071XHZ61V/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1502813872&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=radio+pouch&psc=1

Offline slo8140

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
These are the pouches we use.  These have a loop that the official's belt goes through and a clip on top to keep the radio in place.  These work very well, instead of just relying on the radio clip, which can easily allow the radios to slip off the belt and go flying.  With these, it is very easy to put the radios in a freezer quart size ziplock bag and not have to worry about losing the radios.

https://www.amazon.com/MSC-20B-Multifunctional-Holster-Baofeng-Transceiver/dp/B071XHZ61V/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1502813872&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=radio+pouch&psc=1

My crew uses the Baofeng 888s and @TexDoc has helped me reprogram them and sent me in the right direction on how to purchase some shorter antennas. I am excited to use my radios this season with the modifications that he has recommended. Love the pouch idea. Just found a 5pack of the same ones for 29.99 on amazon....prime eligible.

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
Someone at a scrimmage last week mentioned that they had heard (ugh 3rd-hand knowledge), that Midland radios used above channel 15 or something was an FCC violation.  Any validity to that?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »
Someone at a scrimmage last week mentioned that they had heard (ugh 3rd-hand knowledge), that Midland radios used above channel 15 or something was an FCC violation.  Any validity to that?

Yes, this is the GMRS band, and you are supposed to have a license, $60.  But, let's be honest, with all the radios out there, does anyone ever pay the FCC for this?  No.

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
Yes, this is the GMRS band, and you are supposed to have a license, $60.  But, let's be honest, with all the radios out there, does anyone ever pay the FCC for this?  No.

Thanks for the clarification Doc.  I got a set for my crew and all but one worked on Channel 20.  I am going to try it again tonight on a lower channel...but would it be plausible that the radio wouldnt work on that freq? or more likely I just got one that is defective?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2017, 01:22:50 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Doc.  I got a set for my crew and all but one worked on Channel 20.  I am going to try it again tonight on a lower channel...but would it be plausible that the radio wouldnt work on that freq? or more likely I just got one that is defective?

Are you using a "privacy tone" or running it wide open?  See if there is an open squelch button on the radio, transmit on one and hold the open squelch button on the bad one.  If you hear the transmission you have a wrong setting.  If you hear nothing, it is a bad radio.

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »
I was using with a privacy tone.

This is the radio we are using.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007B5ZR4G/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3CCRYM33TS21O&colid=2MH2VEZ8JFLX6

As far as I know, I havent seen an "open squelch" button.  but I'll try this tonight.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
Turn off the tone on both radios then try.  Make sure on the same channel.  You should certainly hear something.  Then turn them back on and try.  If still no signal, then change tone number.  If you never get it to communicate, check volume first then head back to the store and get another one.