Author Topic: Officials' associations organizational setup  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
Officials' associations organizational setup
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »
I would love to hear from folks in states other than Texas (just read an article where it states Ohio officials get $60/game for varsity football - paltry).

I want to know, and please be as specific as possible, the benefits and drawbacks of your officiating organization.  While many on here have vehemently attacked or defended my organization (TASO), I have not seen the specific examples I would like to see so that I and others may make an informed opinion regarding our future.  I will not register with the UIL under the current takeover maneuver; however, I need a clear picture of what benefits TASO provides its officials the UIL will not, and the drawbacks under the UIL.

Please be as specific as possible.  This topic is meant to be a brainstorm arena wherein ideas are shared, and then retold to other (think newer) members.  Newer members need to be convinced that TASO is worth fighting for, and I’m scared that we are not getting that message out with the success I’d like to see.

For those responders from outside of Texas, I thank you for your time and thoughtfulness in your responses.  If you could, as specifically as possible, address:

Is your organization independent?  Is your organization more of a union/bargaining agent?  Does it have elected board members?  Does it provide training?  Advocate on your behalf?  Discipline members?  Provide members with health and liability insurance?  Make sure you get paid?  Evaluate officials?  And any other questions I forgot to ask.

I will start, as a member of TASO (local chapter…)

Currently independent organization with elected leaders.  Organization provides 2 years of rules, mechanics, and on field training.  TASO advocates for better pay, conditions, and defends officials when needed (think lawsuit out of San Antonio).  TASO has a disciplinary process for its members, and provides health and liability insurance.  My Chapter goes to great length to ensure that the officials are paid, and we even have an evaluation setup.

I need to be able to tell 3rd, 4th, and 5th year members who think they will get a South Lake Carroll playoff game if they register with the UIL that it still isn’t worth it, even if they were to get that game.  I cannot tell them, “You aren’t ready.”  They won’t listen to that.  I want to say, “By staying with TASO and forgoing UIL registration, you are potentially sacrificing one year’s playoffs (or less), in exchange for X.”  Those loyal to TASO need “X” to be convincing.