Author Topic: 1204 Changes, UIL Vote Oct 15/16  (Read 5932 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
1204 Changes, UIL Vote Oct 15/16
« on: October 13, 2017, 11:59:34 AM »
1204 being voted on by the UIL Oct 15 - 16.  Speak  up if you don't like the new pay scale.  It gets rid of all meal pay (typically for games over 150 miles).  The "rings" for travel reimbursement are expanded, essentially taking away mileage for games up to 150 miles paid to a single driver.  One thought, I live very far from the center of my chapter's area, so if I work in my back yard, I get a hefty check.  But, this kind of pays me back for when I have to travel to the center of that area and don't get much.  There's good and bad with this proposal but it will make it easier on the schools.  Crews will have to work out how to pay the driver among themselves.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/Section_1204_-_Sports_Officials.pdf

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: 1204 Changes, UIL Vote Oct 15/16
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
Let me ask this to make sure i understand:

Under the new 1204 (if it passes) my crew has a game that is 121-150 miles from my location (chapter center I assume).

The gross gate receipts fall into the $150 - $4000 range. 

That means that each of the 5 of us would receive $155.  Correct?

Thanks,

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
This post serves as everyone's periodic reminder that Texas is BIG;D

The worst travel I have to any site here in NY is about an hour each way (50-60 miles), but I'm near the middle. The worst travel between any pair of teams in the section is nearly two hours (100ish miles).

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
Another way to reduce the number of officials. Big pay cut for big crowd games. In the SA area most schools don't pay correct by 1204 anyway. Not good news for football.

Offline QAfta

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »
My biggest problem with that is not my milage, because it comes out in the wash.  Its the small schools that are far from chapter centers.  I do SV 10 miles from house and 2 other I normally work with are the same distance.  None of us charge milage.  However if this passes we will have to charge milage from center 80+ miles away.  Their SV just doubled, when the big schools at the center have no change because most folks are nearby.  The big schools don't seem to care that they are about to screw over the small school who can't afford it.

Offline slo8140

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »
My biggest problem with that is not my milage, because it comes out in the wash.  Its the small schools that are far from chapter centers.  I do SV 10 miles from house and 2 other I normally work with are the same distance.  None of us charge milage.  However if this passes we will have to charge milage from center 80+ miles away.  Their SV just doubled, when the big schools at the center have no change because most folks are nearby.  The big schools don't seem to care that they are about to screw over the small school who can't afford it.

I agree...For us that live very close to the center of the chapter it is going to mean more money than I would have made....the big winners are the guys that live far out and call their games close to their homes. Our SV assignor tries to put you as close to your home as possible. I typically don't charge mileage. Now I will make an extra $15 a night if it goes through

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Let me ask this to make sure i understand:

Under the new 1204 (if it passes) my crew has a game that is 121-150 miles from my location (chapter center I assume).

The gross gate receipts fall into the $150 - $4000 range. 

That means that each of the 5 of us would receive $155.  Correct?

Thanks,

This is how I read the chart...however, it is an important question to be answered.  This would eliminate all the variability for schools as to whether you have 1, 2, or 3 cars driving.  And it sounds like it would put it in the hands of a given crew as to how to compensate whichever official decides to drive 149 miles. 

Up in Michigan it wasnt uncommon to have each crew member pay the driver $10 bucks or something. 
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 06:00:46 AM »
This is how I read the chart...however, it is an important question to be answered.  This would eliminate all the variability for schools as to whether you have 1, 2, or 3 cars driving.  And it sounds like it would put it in the hands of a given crew as to how to compensate whichever official decides to drive 149 miles. 

Up in Michigan it wasnt uncommon to have each crew member pay the driver $10 bucks or something.

This is correct.  We will have to work it out among ourselves how to divvy up the flat mileage.

From what I can tell, this passed yesterday.

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
1204 being voted on by the UIL Oct 15 - 16.  Speak  up if you don't like the new pay scale.  It gets rid of all meal pay (typically for games over 150 miles).  The "rings" for travel reimbursement are expanded, essentially taking away mileage for games up to 150 miles paid to a single driver.  One thought, I live very far from the center of my chapter's area, so if I work in my back yard, I get a hefty check.  But, this kind of pays me back for when I have to travel to the center of that area and don't get much.  There's good and bad with this proposal but it will make it easier on the schools.  Crews will have to work out how to pay the driver among themselves.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/Section_1204_-_Sports_Officials.pdf

It too is my understanding the UIL approved this proposal.  No plan will ever be perfect for everyone but I believe this is a decent step forward in the right direction.  I do not believe this will have any negative impact for officials to quit or not join in the first place.  If anyone quits because they may no longer get an unreasonable mileage check their motive to officiate was in the wrong place.  As stated by TexDoc it will now be up to the officials in the game to work it out among themselves.  I have no issue slipping the driver an extra $10 for a game I'm now being paid $50 more to officiate.  I appreciate the efforts put in by many to get this further down the road and in place. 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
It too is my understanding the UIL approved this proposal.  No plan will ever be perfect for everyone but I believe this is a decent step forward in the right direction.  I do not believe this will have any negative impact for officials to quit or not join in the first place.  If anyone quits because they may no longer get an unreasonable mileage check their motive to officiate was in the wrong place.  As stated by TexDoc it will now be up to the officials in the game to work it out among themselves.  I have no issue slipping the driver an extra $10 for a game I'm now being paid $50 more to officiate.  I appreciate the efforts put in by many to get this further down the road and in place.

yEs: yEs: yEs:
Yeah, it will work itself out.  At least for sub varsity we will know exactly what we should be paid.  Working in a varsity crew, it's very simple to work out how to pay the driver.  I just wonder how long until the schools right by me start questioning why they are paying so much for someone that's not traveling far at all.  But, it's the rule now.  I don't get much to travel way up the road to the center of area but it will work out with getting more locally.  I think this process will constantly be tweaked over the years.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:37 AM »
yEs: yEs: yEs:
Yeah, it will work itself out.  At least for sub varsity we will know exactly what we should be paid.  Working in a varsity crew, it's very simple to work out how to pay the driver.  I just wonder how long until the schools right by me start questioning why they are paying so much for someone that's not traveling far at all.  But, it's the rule now.  I don't get much to travel way up the road to the center of area but it will work out with getting more locally.  I think this process will constantly be tweaked over the years.

Tell them schools it is now a collective effort.  We may get shorted driving into the center, but collectively the other schools will even things up when we don't travel beyond our back yard.

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »
And just wait till that one official( or 10) is always riding, always short of cash, and never seems to want to be square on the gas.  At least that one guy won't be taking a cut of my mileage by the excuse " I ve got to leave from work".

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
And just wait till that one official( or 10) is always riding, always short of cash, and never seems to want to be square on the gas.  At least that one guy won't be taking a cut of my mileage by the excuse " I ve got to leave from work".

They'd be buying the sandwiches and adult beverages in my crew, or going by themselves.   ^good

Offline jj06878

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • A flow of words is not proof of wisdom.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
This Friday my round trip will be 347 miles for a varsity game.  I like my mileage check, thank you!!