Author Topic: Football Czar  (Read 5700 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Football Czar
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 10:47:57 AM »
Would you NFHS guys be in favor of that?

Another NFHS "we don't like exceptions except when we do", Ralph?  I'll pass.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
Another NFHS "we don't like exceptions except when we do", Ralph?  I'll pass.
Agreed, HL, I, like many of you, had a phobia of the removal of AFD being a problem but have yet to hear of it occurring. If an obvious intentional interference prevented a touchdown, I wouldn't have a problem with applying 9-9-1 as it was truly an unfair act.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 01:56:07 PM »
Only problem I have with the DPI no AFD is probably once a year I still get asked "Why wasn't that a first down?"  It happened last Thursday in a JV game.  We had 4th and goal at the B3 and DPI so me and the U walk off a yard and a half in and I keep the box on 4.  The next play was unsuccessful and we change the ball over on downs.  My sideline HC walks over after I've set the chains the other way and asks why that wasn't a first down.

I replied that it hasn't been for a few years now.  I so wanted to add "and I don't think you are old enough to know when it was" but I held my tongue.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2021, 04:58:33 PM »
We've talked only about HS and college here, but in the NFL I'd change DPI to the college rule and get rid of illegal contact completely.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 09:21:32 PM »
Makes sense. What is illegal contact?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2021, 06:30:17 AM »

That's an NFL thing. Don't worry about it until you get there.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2021, 08:48:46 AM »

There's a good chance I'm wrong on this so someone please correct me if so, but I think clearwall is talking about the rule in the NFL where the defensive backs basically can't touch a receiver after he has gone 5 yards. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 10:24:55 AM »
There's a good chance I'm wrong on this so someone please correct me if so, but I think clearwall is talking about the rule in the NFL where the defensive backs basically can't touch a receiver after he has gone 5 yards.
I ,too, assume that was what clearwall was referencing. In NFHS a potential receiver is considered to be a potential blocker UNTIL he has turned away from the D-back or is shoulder-to-shoulder with him. If the D-back then contacts the potential receiver ,it become a flag for illegal use of hands -10 yards  w/signal 42.