Author Topic: 2014 Free Kick Rule Changes  (Read 10173 times)

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
2014 Free Kick Rule Changes
« on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
Before the season started, we had quite a discussion regarding the new free kick rules.  Much of the discussion centered around the rule reading "after the RFP and until the kick" and not, as some thought better, "at the time of the kick".  We had only one free kick all year that was illegal under the new rule as written, but would have been legal if "at the time of the kick".  We also had only one incident each of; K1 retreating behind his 35 yd line and then someone else kicking the ball ; more than one player of K lining up behind his 35 yard line.

How did the new rules work in the rest of the country?

ECILLJ

Re: 2014 Free Kick Rule Changes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Our crew did not see any violations of the rule.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:03:48 PM »
Had one. Only three on the right side of kicker. We waited until he kicked it, then set down loud long and hard on our tooters.  😦

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
We talked all year to every kicker before we gave him the football.  I only saw one flag all year - everyone was lined up legally, we blew the RFP, and then one of the K players took a step back over the line...

We still need a rule change to say "at least four players on either side of the ball", though.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
Had one. Only three on the right side of kicker. We waited until he kicked it, then set down loud long and hard on our tooters.  😦
No preventive officiating BEFORE he kicked it?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Suudy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »
No violations here in Eastern WA (that I'm aware of).

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 07:09:26 AM »
Never saw it called, saw a few times where by rule it should have been.  There were a few kids that dropped a foot behind the 35 after the RFP, but got back in place and set before the kick, so they gained no advantage.

Had another where the soccer style kicker took his steps back on an angle, which temporarily put only 3 guys one side of the "kicker".  Again, no advantage was gained, because when the kicker moved forward, the situation was corrected before the kick.

By rule, both of these were fouls.  In practical application, they shouldn't be.  It just proves that while I dislike the actual rules and don't think they were necessary, even if they should be there by philosophy, the wording is absurd.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 07:38:43 AM »
To my knowledge, there were no ^flag in the state regarding these two changes. In pregame, we always asked the coach if they were clear of the new rules. Prior to each team's first kickoff we would remind the kicker of his team's restrictions.

If I was a betting man....
                                       (1) Patriots to win the Super Bowl.
                                       (2) Proposed editorial changes to free kick restrictions.
                                       (3) It will snow in Maine before Christmas.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 08:18:26 AM »
(1) Patriots to win the Super Bowl. - Doubt that, but it sure won't be the Falcons either!
(2) Proposed editorial changes to free kick restrictions. - I've been promised by powers on high that this is a given.
(3) It will snow in Maine before Christmas. - Better you than me!  But heard an interesting ad this morning from a local jewelry store: if at least 1" of snow falls on Christmas Day in Atlanta, anything you purchase on Black Friday is free.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »
Saw no violations this season.  Much like the much ballyhooed free kick blocking rule changes a few years ago, much ado about nothing.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »
Our crew had only one, for a player stepping behind the 35, and I'm not sure that was a "gold-plated" call.  But it was early in the season.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »
Much like the much ballyhooed free kick blocking rule changes a few years ago, much ado about nothing.
We see that called at least once a season, and missed more than that.

The reason it is "nothing" is that many officials admittedly ignore it, saying they were watching other things and didn't have time to see it.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »
Bug Nothingburger (tm) here in Illinois.  But not for lack of everyone pulling their hair out thinking about it in preseason clinics...  hEaDbAnG

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
It's pretty easy for teams to be compliant with the rule change. It's still an illogical rule change, but I'm confident it will be cleared up this year. The intent of the 4 on a side is to prevent a bunch attack on one side. It only matters where the players are at the kick and not back at the RFP.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »

No preventive officiating BEFORE he kicked it?

Where did you read that?

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
Where did you read that?

I'm asking the question based on your statement "Only three on the right side of kicker. We waited until he kicked it, then set down loud long and hard on our tooters." Did the B have a discussion with K regarding the requirement before the RFP?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline BBref

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
We had two violations, both involving teams who take the whistle in the huddle.

Early in the season, a team took the whistle in the huddle with at least four on each side of the kicker. Everyone ran toward the ball, stopped and peeled off and went back to their positions in their lanes. During this a player other than the kicker stepped inside the 35. We enforced the penalty, figuring we would enforce the rule to the letter if they were going to try that tactic.

Late in the year, another team took the whistle in the huddle but had guys on the wrong side of the ball. Players on one side were quicker to get to their correct spot, and for a brief period they had fewer than 4 guys on the one side. We did NOT throw that flag.

The opposing team in both these games had five guys line up just inside each sideline and just outside the 35. As the kicker approached, they sprinted toward the center of the field and then turned upfield in their lanes. Not sure how much this added to their momentum, but perfectly legal. 

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 05:05:05 PM »
We were basically told to do everything we could to make sure K was lined up legally before the whistle, so we did.

It's kind of like illegal substitution vs illegal participation...do you blow the whistle as soon as it happens or do you wait until the snap and then throw the flag?
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »

I'm asking the question based on your statement "Only three on the right side of kicker. We waited until he kicked it, then set down loud long and hard on our tooters." Did the B have a discussion with K regarding the requirement before the RFP?

Sorry. They started out legal. Moved after RFP. Instead of blowing it right then we (my WH) let the kicker kick then set down on his tooter. Rest of us followed suit

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »
Sorry. They started out legal. Moved after RFP. Instead of blowing it right then we (my WH) let the kicker kick then set down on his tooter. Rest of us followed suit

Well.... following the RFP, by rule (at least this year), it's a foul the moment you have 3. Yeah, I know you don't have a kick until you have a kicker, and you don't have a kicker until you kick the ball.

Ralph, PLEASE be sure the committee fixes this mess!
- Vince Lombardi

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 06:44:32 PM »
To my knowledge, there were no ^flag in the state regarding these two changes. In pregame, we always asked the coach if they were clear of the new rules. Prior to each team's first kickoff we would remind the kicker of his team's restrictions.

(1) Patriots to win the Super Bowl.
                                       (2) Proposed editorial changes to free kick restrictions.
                                       (3) It will snow in Maine before Christmas.

Ralph,

Would you like to revisit (1) above?
I hope that you are right on (2)!
You can't lose on (3)!

The Pack is back!!!

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
The Pack are a bunch of overrated weenies.

Signed,
A bitter Vikings fan.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
The Pack are a bunch of overrated weenies.

Signed,
A bitter Vikings fan.

The Pack may be overrated, but they beat the snot out of my beloved Bears twice so I can't really say anything.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 08:43:43 AM »
I don't care one way or the other about the Packers, but 9-3 and tied for the best record in the league, and their they're over rated?  Wow, what's a fair rating?

FIXED after I saw this quoted by someone else.  Yikes, my grammar teacher is spinning in her grave right about now.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:03:45 PM by Atlanta Blue »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »
Ralph,

Would you like to revisit (1) above?
I hope that you are right on (2)!
You can't lose on (3)!

The Pack is back!!!
Prab,

I offer you the following friendly wager :

If the Pack goes further into postseason than the Pats, I'll close my following 10 posts with: "Pack rules, Pats suck". pi1eOn

If the Pats go further into postseason than the Pack, You'll close your following 10 posts with : "Pats rule, Pack sucks"  nAnA

Tie breaker : If both fell in the same round = least point spread of loss wins. tiphat:

Revenge can be a great motivator :bOW!