Author Topic: Assistant Coach question  (Read 21428 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: Assistant Coach question
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
We have one school with a visible play clock. We consider it unofficial, since it's not run by one of our officials.

Offline KDJBBBJ

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2016, 07:00:31 PM »
For play clocks here, the answer is, "it depends".  For instance, our play clock controller is an armband with a single button.  It's even easier than using a Ready Ref.  Our FJs will operate it from the field, and have no problem doing so.  The biggest problem is remembering to give the control back to me after the game (yes, I have had to chase it down.  Once took me 4 days to get it back).  But other schools have units that are console based, or are much more cumbersome.  In those cases, it must be an additional official. 
I was the referee on a Freshman game a couple of weeks ago, 4 man, and the school had one of the armbands with a single button.  It sure was nice and easy to do.  if we are going to have play clocks that is definitely the way to go in my opinion

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »
In my experience, you seldom even have to tell the HC which assistant is causing a problem.  All you have to do is mention that you would appreciate all communication coming through the HC.  They usually know who you are talking about, often it is the same guy that causes the HC problems all week in practice.

Does being up in the booth exempt a HC or AC from 9-8-1?  The above made me think of about a scenario where the HC sends the AC up to the booth after the AC is given a USC.  Then from the booth the AC continues with his tomfoolery.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »
What kind of "tomfoolery" could an assistant in the booth pull that I as an on field official would be aware of or care about?

ALStripes17

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »
What kind of "tomfoolery" could an assistant in the booth pull that I as an on field official would be aware of or care about?
Tapping into the officials' comm system? Haha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2016, 08:40:22 AM »
Tapping into the officials' comm system? Haha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ever thrown out a clock operator?
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2016, 09:10:33 AM »
No, but I have had one replaced because he had this aversion to the on/off switch.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2016, 08:52:40 PM »

Apparently, our association had one last night who tried to call DOG from the press box.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »
Apparently, our association had one last night who tried to call DOG from the press box.

..... How??

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
We have one school with a visible play clock. We consider it unofficial, since it's not run by one of our officials.

Thanks to some very wise officials, all our HS games with field clocks have been run by active, certified members of our Association since (before 1970).  The idea of allowing "unofficial" dual clocks has come up several times and has been rejected.

We bowed to pressure from youth leagues in the late 1990s, from the growing number of teams using HS facilities, on a trial basis and the trial turned out to be an unmitigated disaster.  Despite all efforts to train, and synchronize time during dead ball periods, the confusion and problems far outweighed ANY benefit.

Although periodic requests continue, Field clocks at ALL levels are ONLY acceptable when operated by active, certified Officials (in full uniform), or game time is kept on the field. (and our world is a happier place)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2016, 06:28:15 PM »
..... How??

Our ECOs are all registered officials.  This particular one thought the 25/sec clock expired prior to the snap, and stopped the game clock, leaned out the press box window, & made the DOG signal.

With 1:28 left in the 4th quarter of a 3-score game & the leading team in possession.

With the trailing team having 2 TOs left & not using them.

Guess I haven't seen it all.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2016, 09:31:46 AM »
Bama, PLEASE tell me he didn't have a whistle or flag up there... hEaDbAnG

Offline VALJ

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2016, 09:36:17 AM »
Also, this reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal) story of the rookie official who was on the sidelines as an observer who threw a flag for a holding foul he thought the HL didn't see...

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »
I was once threatened by an ECO with a USC foul while I was a coach in the press box.  The ECO was asleep, letting the clock run a number of times in critical situations when it should have been stopped.  The first couple of times, I just yelled, "Stop the clock".  But after I had enough, and he still wasn't reacting, I slapped the glass wall that was between us.  Apparently, that woke him up, and he says, "If you slap that wall again, I'm going to call a USC on you!"  You KNOW what I did the next time he didn't stop the clock.

And there was no foul.