Author Topic: NCAA "Toe-Heel" Rule (Texas - Texas Tech Game)  (Read 72914 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
NCAA "Toe-Heel" Rule (Texas - Texas Tech Game)
« on: November 14, 2007, 06:38:35 AM »
Is anyone aware of some recent interp that is being called the "Toe-Heel" rule.  There has been much discussion on  on non-ref sites stemming from a play in the Texas - Texas Tech game Saturday.  WR catches a pass at the endline while airborne.  He touches ground first on tip toe, toe in bounds and then his heel comes down but is on the line.  Rules on the field as a TD.  Replay did not overturn.  Now "experts" are saying the NCAA "Toe-Heel" rule applies and that rule says even if your toe comes down first in bounds but then your heel touches the line, it is incomplete.

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
Re: NCAA "Toe-Heel" Rule (Texas - Texas Tech Game)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:00:07 AM »
Yes, I heard this philosophy from a Big 12 official earlier this year at a meeting. I hadn't heard it before but he described it like you did. In fact, it could've been on this board or another, but there was an apparent TD catch in a Missouri game where Chase Kaufmann made a great catch, got his toe down in the EZ, but fell backwards. While falling backwards it looked like his heel came down on the sideline. It was ruled incomplete on the field and wasn't overturned. I attempted to describe this philosophy in that thread.

The way this official explained it to the group was like this: toe in bounds, heel out of bounds= incomplete; heel inbounds, toe out of bounds=incomplete; drag of the toes only=complete.

That takes a lot of processing and slowing the game down but that's why those guys are on that level.

DD

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:29:03 AM »
The toe-heel if one continous motion at the endline or sideline will be ruled incomplete. If the receiver tries to remain on the toes and a slight pause then to go the heel (non-continous motion) it will be ruled a catch.

Offline VA-Ump

• <><
  • FAN REACTION: +25/-10
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:32:14 AM »
Until they change Rule 2 and delineate between the heal and the toe, I don't see any validity in this new "rule"... 2.2.7.c.1 clearly states "foot".  Any part of the FOOT touching the line when he comes down means its incomplete.
Goodness is the enemy of Greatness

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?... John Wooden

Offline TXMike

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:21 AM »
My 2-2-7-c  talks about any "part of the body"  ISn't the toe part of the body?

Offline TXMike

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:54 AM »
The toe-heel if one continous motion at the endline or sideline will be ruled incomplete. If the receiver tries to remain on the toes and a slight pause then to go the heel (non-continous motion) it will be ruled a catch.

Where did this come from?

DD

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 11:55:30 AM »
That is the word from the supervisors. This is the way it is called in the NFL. GSRC was correct in his post.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 12:24:16 PM »
It seems almost every day, some completely new, or different, interpretation of basic football is concocted by this anonomous source called, "Supervisors".  To quote Sundance, "Who are those guys?".

I thought "Replay" was intended to determine if what was seen on the field, obviously in real time, was correct, not to create new guidelines that are virtually impossible for anyone to determine in a real time sequence and require slow, or stop, action to determine.  How far is too far, when we're splitting hairs?

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
I guess I thought my view was the same as everyone else's but I always figured if someone has a toe down inbounds and then his heel hits OB, there has to be a lifting of the toe off the ground some time in between for that "step" to be considered in bounds.

JohnRHumm

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:09:22 PM »
I heard this discussed at Honig's clinic this past April.  As I recall, there was no clear consensus as to how to call this play.  One group felt that toe-heel was incomplete, the other that it was complete.  I came away from it with the impression that if the receiver  touches his toes first with some delay (what I call controlled descent) and then heel OOB, call it complete.  If it's nearly simultaneous, rule it incomplete.  All very easy to say and see with slow motion replay, but honestly I don't think that I'm good enough to see and rule that correctly in real time.

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 03:08:42 PM »
All righty then. What if A88 and B99 both grasp a forward pass while airborne, and then A88's toe touches down inbounds first, followed by B99's toe and heel both inbounds, and then A88's heel either a) inbounds or b) on the sideline?

Offline Andrew McCarthy

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »
The rule clearly states that one foot must land inbounds.  How having your toe land inbounds and your heel come down out of bounds qualifies as "one foot", I'll never know.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 04:32:13 PM »
The rule clearly states that one foot must land inbounds.  How having your toe land inbounds and your heel come down out of bounds qualifies as "one foot", I'll never know.

Seems pretty simple here.  Those toes are "part of his body" so it must be a catch.

2-2-7-c

To catch, intercept or recover a ball, a player who leaves his feet to make a catch, interception or recovery must have the ball firmly in his possession when he first returns to the ground inbounds with any part of his body or is so held that the dead-ball provisions of Rule 4-1-3-p apply

Offline Andrew McCarthy

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 04:48:06 PM »
Seems pretty simple here.  Those toes are "part of his body" so it must be a catch.

2-2-7-c

To catch, intercept or recover a ball, a player who leaves his feet to make a catch, interception or recovery must have the ball firmly in his possession when he first returns to the ground inbounds with any part of his body or is so held that the dead-ball provisions of Rule 4-1-3-p apply

Keep reading...

2-2-7-c-1

If one foot first lands inbounds and the receiver has possession and control of the ball, it is a catch or interception even though a subsequent step or fall takes the receiver out of bounds.

So if that "one foot" does not land inbounds, it is not a catch.

OnlyRefFB

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 06:35:12 PM »
Keep reading...

2-2-7-c-1

If one foot first lands inbounds and the receiver has possession and control of the ball, it is a catch or interception even though a subsequent step or fall takes the receiver out of bounds.

So if that "one foot" does not land inbounds, it is not a catch.

2-2-7-c-1 doesn't really provide much clarification to 2-2-7-c in my mind. I mean what part of "...when he first returns to the ground inbounds..." is clearer with 2-2-7-c-1? And do they mean the foot as in "any part of his foot" or the "whole" foot?  Previously, they had to clarify that a runner's helmet had to come completely off, before the ball was dead, not because it was merely dislodged.

Could this be a case of inconsistent rule language instead of clarifying rule language that will be corrected when RR has full editorial control? >:D

Offline TXMike

The Video
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 08:02:22 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=62RddsOPygM

[yt=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=62RddsOPygM[/yt]
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:06:09 PM by TXMike »

OnlyRefFB

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 08:15:30 PM »
Mike - good job locating the video.

From what I saw, I think you have to rule this incomplete.  ^no Not even close to a pause between toe and heel touching IMO, if that would otherwise change your mind.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 09:01:41 PM »
In my opinion they put the "one foot" in there to make the distinction between the NFL rule of "two feet".  Clearly our eyes can't distinguish this but just for discussion purposes how would you rule if an airborne players gains clear control of the ball and his fingers land inbounds and as he is coming down the palm of his hand is out of bounds.  "finger-palm" rule.  Catch?  ;D   

I figured they put "one foot" in there to make the distinction between "half a foot", which is what some people apparently think will qualify as a catch.   ;D

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 09:03:47 PM »
If I had to in that video I've got  ^no  You'd have to have some stop action video to rule otherwise.  

BryanG

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 09:21:54 PM »
Clearly looks like an incomplete pass.   ^no  I wonder how replay missed this or if they did not have the same feed?

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 10:43:45 PM »
I was at the game, and when they called it a TD I figured he must have been fully inbounds.

Then I saw pictures, where I figured he must have held himself up on the toe for a noticeable amount of time before coming down with the heel.

Now I see video.  ^no

The TD stood because the replay wasn't conclusive enough to overturn.  None of those clips give a real good view of the foot and the endline, IMHO.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 04:57:09 AM »
A still image

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 06:38:36 AM »
I figured they put "one foot" in there to make the distinction between "half a foot", which is what some people apparently think will qualify as a catch.   ;D

Time for a Rule 2 update and some more ARs. Interestingly, NFL rules go on to make the distinction "A pass is completed or intercepted if the player has both feet or any other part of his body, except his hands, inbounds prior to and after the catch." 
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline pgh guy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-8
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 10:55:43 AM »
This is not a rule in so far as it is a philosophy.  This is what is referred to as the "step of foot" philosophy.  As explained by many, if the toe comes down first iinbounds followed by the rest of the foot on the SL/EL, then the ruling is incomplete.  The rationale behind this is that the foot is one appendage not separated or distinguished by the toes AND THEN the heel.  In the instance in the game, when a call is made either way on the interpretation, replay cannot get involved because it is not supported by rule and will support the call in either case.  This is the philosophy as I understand it and not the Gospel according to "Big Ben"  :bOW
I love this game!

kixon66

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »
I'm at a loss as to why there's a long, drawn out discussion on this. It was ruled a TD because of the incompetent Austin resident on the crew and the fact that replay is total farce. Just ask Tee-Tee Coach Leach.