Author Topic: What did you learn this year?  (Read 11235 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: What did you learn this year?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 07:58:41 AM »
Ralph, working in the court system, I learned the difference early on between "may" and "shall".
Just insert "shall" into your rule.

Nothing stops coaches from putting in subs at anytime.  Their ploy makes your rule useless using their rationale.
Thanks for the good point ,HL, a lesson I should have recalled from my daze of youth. Ma used to say, "You MUST eat your carrots." I knew I didn't have a choice - although I may have tried to sneak some over to my sister's plate (she liked carrots) or drop some on the floor for the family dawg (he liked everything). I hereby plan to use : shall, must, will ,gotta' ; much more than I used to. tiphat:

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »
Another suggested caution; Never write, what you can say to, never say what you can nod to, never nod at what you can wink at, never wink when you have no idea.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 10:51:07 AM »
Another suggested caution; Never write, what you can say to, never say what you can nod to, never nod at what you can wink at, never wink when you have no idea.
Good advice, Al , often my phone will ring with a coach with a question. A typical conversation would be :
   Coach : "Is it legal when a big ole' Bubba does (fill in the blank)?
     Me : "Ayuh, 'spect so, coach."
   Coach : "Ayuh , 'spect you know." - if from farming community.
              " Find's kind" - if from coastal community.

If asked in person, often a nod will do.

I haven't yet winked at a coach