Author Topic: 2 or 2 1/4 inch stripes shirts  (Read 16805 times)

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
Re: 2 or 2 1/4 inch stripes shirts
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »
SD & Al,
  Is there talk of your States/Assoc. going to the wider stripes?? Any other States or Assoc. talking about going wider?

SDHSAA approved use of 2" stripes for this season.  1" stripes are still the standard up here but as of this season we are allowed to use 2" stripes with no plackets.  Our crew did not make the switch this year but might next year.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
Is it true the NFHS is going to mandate 2" stripes at some point?

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 04:52:37 AM »
Is that actuality the reasoning?  Because I do have trouble finding my wings from time to time.
My first thought is that you don't need wider stripes - you need wider wings...
But then I'm an U so  nAnA sNiCkErS

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
I moved from Ohio to AZ this season. Back in Ohio we used 1" with no markings. Nothing like being able to buy an inexpensive shirt. Come to AZ and find out they no only use the 2 1/4" shirt, they also use the placard and an AIA logo on the front and American flag on the sleeve. Ok still not too expense, except that it has to be dye sublimated chi-chang 50 bucks. So much for my half a dozen shirts in my closet.

So now the wrestling season has started, again Ohio used standard 1" collarless shirt no logos equals inexpensive. AZ uses the grey pinstripes with dye subliminated logo on front and American flaq on the sleeve - Another $50. And of course in the past when I had a number of shirts I didn't have to go home and wash the shirt for the match the next day, now I either have to pony up another $50 or run that washer when I get home after a match so I have a clean shirt for the next day's event.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
Is it true the NFHS is going to mandate 2" stripes at some point?
No...they are allowing the states / chapters / crews to make that decision.

Offline OkieZebra

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 09:04:13 PM »
Oklahoma has allowed 2 inch stripes in the past, but said that playoff crews will still wear 1 inch striped.

That changes next year, where the mandatory playoff uniform is 2 inch stripes.

Online Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
Oklahoma has allowed 2 inch stripes in the past, but said that playoff crews will still wear 1 inch striped.

That changes next year, where the mandatory playoff uniform is 2 inch stripes.

If the court allows Oklahoma to play high school football next year... :sTiR:
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Online Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Watched a game in the Ohio playoffs on TV and the officials were wearing 2" (or 2 1/4" ) stripes. This makes me think they will be optional in 2015 and required in 2016, that's how the black pants were done a few years ago.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline Junior15

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »
In the State of Tennessee the finals were mandatory 2" stripes with next year being mandatory all year.  Most of the associations in the state made the change this year. 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »
Is that actuality the reasoning?  Because I do have trouble finding my wings from time to time.

I was referencing the view from a pressbox, where the game clock is usually operated from.  If you can't see your linesman and line judge from ground level, the issue may be more complicated that the width of the stripes.

Whether timproved visibility is a reason for wider stripes, or just an unintended benefit, I couldn't say, but it makes a noticible difference.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:53:30 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
Re: Re: 2 or 2 1/4 inch stripes shirts
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »
I was referencing the view from a pressbox, where the game clock is usually operated from.  If you can't see your linesman and line judge from ground level, the issue may be more complicated that the width of the stripes.

Whether timproved visibility is a reason for wider stripes, or just an unintended benefit, I couldn't say, but it makes a noticible difference.
Boy you're right about that. I think most of the visibility issues I cited have more to do with field lighting than anything.  You say "pressbox" as if you were sitting in a real pressbox.  Most of the fields I work it looks more like a deer stand.